Where do I start?

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
mchsminerjoe
Kimahri

Where do I start?

Post by mchsminerjoe »

I have students who are interested in being a part of a Quizbowl team and I have the backing of my school's administration to get things started. What do I do next? Are there organizations I can get in touch with in my state, West Virginia, that would assist me in getting a team started and provide me with some information regarding competitions?
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Where do I start?

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the forums! There's a schedule of upcoming West Virginia events here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hi Mr. Hunt,

I grew up playing West Virginia and hosted some tournaments before I moved away last year. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected].

The WVACA's website with a list of upcoming events can be found here.

There's also a number of tournaments in Kentucky, Ohio and Virginia that you might be interested in competing in. I can tell you that while the University of Kentucky (where I'm currently a student) is hosting a tournament next month that has a full field, we'll also be hosting one in March that you might be interested in attending if you want to make the trip.

You can also find a partial list of tournaments within 200 miles of your school here. I'm hoping to find time to add more to the database in a few weeks.

Let us know what specific information you're looking for that we can help you with and somebody will put together the best they can!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Depending on what part of the state you are in, Virginia Tech is planning on hosting a high school tournament in the spring, and we would love to have you guys join us!
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Journeyman
Lulu

Post by Journeyman »

mchsminerjoe wrote:I have students who are interested in being a part of a Quizbowl team and I have the backing of my school's administration to get things started. What do I do next? Are there organizations I can get in touch with in my state, West Virginia, that would assist me in getting a team started and provide me with some information regarding competitions?
It looks like everyone else has covered the basics on finding tournaments. Since Hurley is somewhat close to Mingo Central, I offer up any help I can give you, include a scrimmage if you ever want it.
Travis Blankenship
Berea Community High School
Head Coach
Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Steering Committee