Coaching clinic

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
tiwonge
Yuna

Coaching clinic

Post by tiwonge »

The two most experienced quiz bowl programs on the local circuit each lost their coach for this year. Between the new coaches there and trying to recruit new schools to the circuit, I thought I'd offer a coaching clinic sometime next month, to help the new coaches prepare their teams.

What kinds of things would it be beneficial for new coaches to learn at one of these?

I thought I'd talk about:

Basic rules of quiz bowl, etiquette, some strategy (like paying attention to pronouns in the questions, blitz answering with creator/created work when unsure, stuff like that--more suggestions might also be helpful)
What to expect at a tournament (and hopefully, encourage some schools to host their own tournaments)
Online resources (this board, the question archives, naqt.com, anything else? Is it worth showing them stuff like protobowl?)
How to run practices (any pointers or suggestions for good things to do at practice would also be welcome)

I'll probably broaden this to more than just quiz bowl, and include some things for NHBB and Science Bowl, since probably the same people coaching quiz bowl might also be coaching the others, and I know there's going to be at least one tournament in each of those formats.

Do other areas run coaching clinics for new coaches?
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams