Buzzers

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Buzzers

Post by bradleykirksey »

OK, we aren't new, and we aren't high school, but we don't have buzzers.

Most of the sites online are like $500 for a set that plays for one team of three. Is there any way to actually afford useful buzzers?
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Buzzers

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

http://www.andersonbuzzersystems.com/index.html has them available for $210 per set of buzzers (and you get 8 for 2 teams). You can also look here, but the cheapest set is $289.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

bradleykirksey wrote:OK, we aren't new, and we aren't high school, but we don't have buzzers.

Most of the sites online are like $500 for a set that plays for one team of three. Is there any way to actually afford useful buzzers?
Andersons are super durable, easy to setup, and they have great customer service. Go with the tabletop model - the other one (while it looks more like a buzzer) takes longer to set up and is more awkward in general. Also, don't overlook Matt's Buzzers for grants if this is for a high or middle school.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:Andersons are ... easy to setup,
I'll second that. We got a set (tabletop) this last summer, and added a 2nd later on. As we expanded our team size and needed to practice in more than one room, it was very important that the buzzers be something that 7th graders could set up without setting the building on fire. Three things to plug in, and you're set.

Oh, the first set is very finicky about static electricity. We realized that practicing in my carpeted choir room, set up on plastic tables. Any charge, and it resets. has anyone else had that problem? The 2nd set works with no issues at all.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

dwd500 wrote:Oh, the first set is very finicky about static electricity. We realized that practicing in my carpeted choir room, set up on plastic tables. Any charge, and it resets. has anyone else had that problem? The 2nd set works with no issues at all.
I encountered this at a local MS, not sure why it would reset.

I own two of the first ones. I also have ample spare parts in case something breaks. That reason is exactly why I didn't buy the second. If something breaks, it can be swapped out, and the system keeps working.