Japanese Lit

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
heterodyne
Rikku

Japanese Lit

Post by heterodyne »

Is there any way that the people of this here fine forum would reccomend for studying Japanese lit and poetry? Our team is so, so weak on that, and I can't get quizbowldb to work. Are there any good anthologies to read?
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Re: Japanese Lit

Post by Red Panda Cub »

Find out who the important authors are and read lots of (summaries of) books by them. I find it more rewarding - both in terms of points and fun - to read the actual books. I can heartily recommend The Master of Go by Kawabata as a starting point.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Japanese lit shouldn't be coming up that often at "regular difficulty tournaments" for high school - once or maybe twice for the day. If you insist on studying it, the easiest way is just to see who's come up in recent tournaments of the same difficulty and then study them. But this is worrying about an ice cream sundae's cherry when the actual ice cream is three weeks past date, melted and actually butter.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

The Japanese Literature article in Wikipedia would also be a good starting point, paying particular attention to Sei Shonagon, Lady Murasaki, Oe, and Kawabata. I'm sure others here will have suggestions as well.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

As for poetry, the only "poet" that I can think of at all is Basho, but the whole haiku thing is very commonly asked, so that's worth studying heavily.

For prose (in addition to those mentioned already), Mishima deserves mention. Akutagawa and Murakami are occasional HS answers as well. I suppose Nats level stuff would be Tanizaki, Soseki, Shusaku Endo, and Chikamatsu.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM