New Team Help

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
cwyatt10
Kimahri

New Team Help

Post by cwyatt10 »

My school is creating a class next year to prepare students to compete in academic competitions. I am going to be the teacher and am soliciting some help in creating the structure of the course ie. course syllabus, pacing guide, curriculum. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If someone can help me, please contact me through this forum and I will give you my contact information. Thanks in advance.

User was reminded to set up a signature. - mgmt
Cheryl Wyatt
HS English Teacher
Stone Mountain, GA
David Riley
Auron

Re: New Team Help

Post by David Riley »

Cheryl, welcome to the forum! In addition to whomever might respond, I would contact some of the active Georgia coaches in this forum -- Cathy Hirsch , Elliot Roundtree, and Rick Barry, among others.
Last edited by David Riley on Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

If you aren't already, familiarize yourself with the Georgia Academic Team Association (GATA) and join for next year (joining GATA is necessary for competing in official GATA events, but not independent events). The GATA website also has a forum, but you need to make an account before you can view anything.

For practice materials, see the high school packet archive.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
MrHickoryHam
Lulu

Post by MrHickoryHam »

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote:If you aren't already, familiarize yourself with the Georgia Academic Team Association (GATA) and join for next year (joining GATA is necessary for competing in official GATA events, but not independent events). The GATA website also has a forum, but you need to make an account before you can view anything.

For practice materials, see the high school packet archive.
Yes, the quizbowlpackets site is extremely helpful - the NAQT website also has many guides for any team that is new to QB

Good luck!
Eric Xiao
Hawken '12
Yale University '16
Writer, NAQT
Hawken Middle School Coach 2009-2012
Rumford, RI - Bayside, NY - Cleveland, OH - New Haven, CT