Student looking to start a team

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.

Student looking to start a team

Postby please » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi, so I’m a high schooler in NYS right now, and I’m really interested in starting a quiz bowl team but I have no idea where to start. Everything I’ve found online is just how a teacher can start it but there’s nothing really for how a student can start it that I’ve seen (I know there’s probably stuff out there but I can’t find it). At the moment, I have a few friends who are interested but not a possible coach. Any advice would be very very appreciated!!! :kenj:
Ella
Jamesville-DeWitt HS
please
Kimahri

Re: Student looking to start a team

Postby jonah » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Is this article helpful?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Postby nsb2 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm

In addition to the NAQT packets mentioned in the link Jonah provided, you can access a large number of non-NAQT packets at the Quizbowl Packet Archive, http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/.

In addition, if you're interested in another national tournament that is not run by NAQT, you can take a look at the PACE NSC (http://www.pace-nsc.org/). However, the questions at PACE (also available from the packet archive) are harder than at HSNCT, so it might help to gain more experience before you get a feel for them.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
nsb2
Lulu

Postby please » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:24 am

Thank you both for the help!! That article was pretty good and I’ll definitely go look at those packets. :grin:
Ella
Jamesville-DeWitt HS
please
Kimahri

Postby Habitat_Against_Humanity » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:12 pm

please wrote:Thank you both for the help!! That article was pretty good and I’ll definitely go look at those packets. :grin:

You're in Jamesville-Dewitt????!!!!

I just moved to JD last July and have been bemoaning the lack of qb in this area. Please hit me up with any questions. I'm more than willing to help out with anything I can do start a quiz bowl team here.

Lest I seem just like some rando, I've been playing quiz bowl since I was in the sixth grade in 1998. I played throughout middle and high school in rural Michigan and was on several national-champion caliber teams while in college at UChicago. My wife is professor at Syracuse. I'd love a chance to help out. Please, please, please don't hesitate to PM me with any questions.
Nolan -
UChicago 09
Michigan State Well-wisher
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Return to New High School Teams