Books "for Quizbowl"

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.

Re: Books "for Quizbowl"

Postby Warlockoftheeast » Thu May 24, 2012 2:09 am

http://www.theoi.com/Text/Apollodorus1.html

Anyone have any thoughts on Bibliotheca for mythology?
Kieren Weisert
"Away! away! for I will fly to thee,"-Ode to a Nightingale
Corbin High School '14
Columbia University in the City of New York '18

Johnny Quizbowl.
Warlockoftheeast
potter wasted among his clays

Postby christino » Thu May 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Warlockoftheeast wrote:http://www.theoi.com/Text/Apollodorus1.html

I mean, sure, that could help, but a combination of Graves/Hamilton/packet studying should be enough to cover high school-level Greek mythology pretty well.
Ben Zhang
Ladue Horton Watkins '14
Columbia University '18
Writer, NAQT/HSAPQ
PACE
christino
torrent of sunbursts

Postby Mike Bentley » Tue May 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Dan Passner alerted me to this deal on Sunday:

www.half.com has a deal where if you order more than $10 in actual products, up to $25 in shipping is taken off of your order with the code FREESHIP. This is a pretty good deal if you want to buy maybe 8 quizbowl books for $10. If you look on a place like Amazon.com, you'll likely find some pretty good source books for list prices approaching 1 cent, but the caveat is that you usually need to pay $4 shipping (and if you have a Prime membership, the lowest these books are priced is around $4, so you're paying the same amount). With this half.com deal, you can find a lot of good books from one seller (betterworldbooks is a good one) for $.75 + $2 shipping. I ended up getting around 7 $.75 encyclopedias and then one other book that put me as close to $10 as possible. This works out to a savings of around $20 compared to Amazon.

Note that it's often still cheaper to get these types of books at a friends of the library sale, but the selection will be more limited and it takes more of your time/gas money.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Host of the Quizbowl Cast, a Quizbowl Podcast.
Visit Wastebin, a trash packet archive.
Mike Bentley
groom of totemic guanacos

Postby cornfused » Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Mike Bentley wrote:Dan Passner alerted me to this deal on Sunday:

http://www.half.com has a deal where if you order more than $10 in actual products, up to $25 in shipping is taken off of your order with the code FREESHIP. This is a pretty good deal if you want to buy maybe 8 quizbowl books for $10. If you look on a place like Amazon.com, you'll likely find some pretty good source books for list prices approaching 1 cent, but the caveat is that you usually need to pay $4 shipping (and if you have a Prime membership, the lowest these books are priced is around $4, so you're paying the same amount). With this half.com deal, you can find a lot of good books from one seller (betterworldbooks is a good one) for $.75 + $2 shipping. I ended up getting around 7 $.75 encyclopedias and then one other book that put me as close to $10 as possible. This works out to a savings of around $20 compared to Amazon.

Note that it's often still cheaper to get these types of books at a friends of the library sale, but the selection will be more limited and it takes more of your time/gas money.

Oh my God, this is great. I just ordered $10.38 worth.
Greg Peterson
Maine South HS '07
Lawrence University '11
cornfused

Postby nhscody » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 am

For history, I can't recommend anything more highly than this textbook: http://www.amazon.com/History-Western-Society-John-McKay/dp/0395708419/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340371107&sr=8-6&keywords=Western+Society+5th+edition

It's made for a standard European history course in college, but it really covers much more than that, including some lit, lots of art, etc.
Cody McKeehan
Central Academy and North High
Des Moines, Iowa
nhscody

Postby Corry » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 pm

I can only speak about history, but in my experience, pretty much any history textbook is a good resource for quiz bowl, as long as the subject that it covers is specific enough! You're not going to learn much from a standard world history textbook, since it'll only have room to cover subjects that everybody already knows about. This might also ring true for U.S. history textbooks, since everybody in high school has to take that class. But once you get into slightly more specialized subjects, textbooks become a lot more useful. For instance, even the vaguest, most watered-down European history textbooks still include enough details to give you a working knowledge about the subject in tournaments.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer
Corry
mason high on your treacherous scaffolding

Postby Scaled Flowerpiercer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 pm

Christ, I Know wrote:

I mean, sure, that could help, but a combination of Graves/Hamilton/packet studying should be enough to cover high school-level Greek mythology pretty well.

I personally like Apollodorus a lot for greco-roman myth - he is one of few classical authors who will give you different versions of myths in one text. For his Library and Epitome, as well as other searchable classical texts (in translation) I tend to use:http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/

Ben is certainly correct in that Graves and Hamilton are great sources - though notably Graves seems to draw a lot from Apollodorus (Graves sometimes seems to copy him nearly word for word), so they will give you about the same knowledge. As for other sources for Greco-Roman myth, Eurpides/Aeschylus/Sophocles plays good for learning myths in depth, and of course anyone looking to really know Greco-Roman myth should probably read the Aeneid, Odyssey, and Iliad (or at least summaries of them).
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Scaled Flowerpiercer

Postby Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:34 am

Scaled Flowerpiercer wrote:
Christ, I Know wrote:
...anyone looking to really know Greco-Roman myth should probably read the Aeneid, Odyssey, and Iliad (or at least summaries of them).

In my experience, people read the Aeneid much less than the Iliad or the Odyssey. There may be fewer clues used from it, but if you do read it, then you'd probably have a good chance at an early buzz. I've gotten several buzzes on "Calaeno the harpy," for example, so I definitely recommend reading a good translation (like Fagles). I have not seen a whole lot of scholarship asked in tournaments, but it may be a good idea to skim The Serpent and the Flame, by Bernard Knox, and Discolor Aura, by Robert Brooks. They aren't quick reads (and they may be a bit tedious if you don't know some Latin), but you might pick up some allusions and some points on early clues.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur

Postby The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on Scottish and Eastern European History?
Jacob O'Rourke
MOQBA Member, HSAPQ Host Contact
Formerly Truman State '14 and Pacific High (MO) '10

"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi
Amazon of buried jaguars

Postby Skepticism and Animal Feed » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:41 am

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for books on Scottish and Eastern European History?

I like this book for Russian history:
http://www.amazon.com/Romanovs-Autocrat ... 0385279086

Very clue-dense.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Skepticism and Animal Feed

Postby bird bird bird bird bird » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:31 pm

For Scottish history, try Smout's History of the Scottish People.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communications and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
bird bird bird bird bird
Forums Staff: Administrator

Postby bird bird bird bird bird » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for books on Scottish and Eastern European History?

I will now outrageously misinterpret Jacob's question to note that this volume has two chapters about Scottish immigrants in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
bird bird bird bird bird

Postby Einhard » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Any books particularly good for science questions? I know the basic concepts fairly well, but I have no idea how to get the really early clues about the biology and chemistry tossups.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle HS '15
Einhard

Postby shrey96 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm not sure about books (other than intro-level college textbooks), but I've found MIT OpenCourseWare to be extremely helpful for quizbowl science.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Metea Valley High School '13
Columbia University '17
shrey96

Postby The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:56 am

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:

I like this book for Russian history:
http://www.amazon.com/Romanovs-Autocrat ... 0385279086

Very clue-dense.

I actually took a Russian history course last year, but that book looks interesting. I'll definitely take a look at it. And any recommendations for Polish/Hungarian history would be good as well.
Jacob O'Rourke

"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Amazon of buried jaguars

Postby David Riley » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:42 am

The most recent Hungarian history that I have is Peter Sugar's History of Hungary. It's been my experience that most go out of print rather quickly but you might check Amazon, and be sure to read the reviews. The Cambridge Concise History should be a good overview, and there are any number of books on St. Stephen, Matthias Corvinus, Kossuth and the Austro-Hungarin Empire.

I don't know any Polish histories but I can probably find out....LARGE Polish population here.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
David Riley

Postby Skepticism and Animal Feed » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 pm

I daresay my knowledge of Hungarian history is well above the 90th percentile of this forum, but virtually all of it comes from internet sources. Hungarians love their own history and have documented it extensively on Wikipedia and other websites. There's bias, but it's so comically transparent that you can easily screen it out.

Honestly, the only book I've read that contained any quizbowl-useful information about Hungary was Kinross's book on the Ottoman Empire, which I recommended somewhere much earlier in this thread.

Anyway, a few years back, I put together a parody of NAQT's "You Gotta Know..." list, which contains:

[*] You Gotta Know These Rulers of Hungary
[*] You Gotta Know These Hungarian Rebellions

As far as I recall, these are mostly accurate, though the rebellions one seems to be missing the Vatha Rebellion, which is probably more important than the Samuel Aba rebellion, though it never comes up in quizbowl. But they're likely far too deep for high school.
Bruce

Postby The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Bruce, you do realize I'm in college, right?

EDIT: I do appreciate the history information. Thanks a ton!
Jacob O'Rourke

Amazon of buried jaguars

Postby Skepticism and Animal Feed » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Bruce, you do realize I'm in college, right?

EDIT: I do appreciate the history information. Thanks a ton!

Yeah but this is the high school section, there's high schoolers reading it, and if I make some kid write a tossup on Pal Maleter for his housewritten high school tournament because I don't make it clear to him that this is way too hard for high school, I'll rightfully be condemned.

Incidentally, don't write a tossup on Pal Maleter for anything easier than Chicago Open.
Bruce

Postby Fakespeare » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 pm

A bit of a thread resurrection, but I found Great military leaders and their campaigns, edited by Jeremy Black, to be an immensely helpful and enjoyable read, complete with lots of 3D campaign maps to help with those lead-ins that describe tactical maneuvers.

What is a good clue source for some of the less well-known mythologies? Specifically looking at Celtic, Oceanic, and African myth systems here. Primary resources are always good, but I'm looking for more of a compilation.
Max Huang
Taylor High School (Katy, TX) '15
Fakespeare
emerge from subterranean time

Postby bird bird bird bird bird » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Welcome to the forums!

For Celtic myth, I recommend going straight to the sources- reading the Mabinogion (Welsh) and the Tain (Irish) will result in plenty of points (granted, "plenty" is a relative term for Celtic myth).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

bird bird bird bird bird

Postby Fakespeare » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks, Mr. Hoppes!

It's unfortunately very true Celtic myth doesn't come up too often (especially at the high school level). I've been to some college tournaments lately (MFT and ACF Fall) and missed a certain myth tossup to an early buzz from LASA.

So yeah, I've been seeking to widen my mythological horizons in preparation for both future tournaments and potentially college-leveled competition. Your advice is much appreciated!

EDIT: removed stuff about answer lines from uncleared tournaments
Max Huang
Taylor High School (Katy, TX) '15
Fakespeare
emerge from subterranean time

Postby Shangdevin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:36 am

David Mccullough's John Adams has helped me power almost every single question regarding colonial to early American history
Devin Shang
Lexington High School '12-'16
1X NHBB Participant
1X HSNCT Participant
2014-2016 Club Co-Captain
NAQT Writer
Shangdevin

Postby The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi » Mon May 12, 2014 4:04 pm

I'd love some recommendations for books on Religion.
Jacob O'Rourke

Amazon of buried jaguars

Postby zachary_yan » Mon May 12, 2014 6:52 pm

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:I'd love some recommendations for books on Religion.

Sparknotes has pretty good summaries of the major books of the Bible.
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
zachary_yan

Postby at your pleasure » Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 pm

Warlockoftheeast wrote:Is there any opinions on Europe: A History by Norman Davies? Also, does The Golden Bough have any external quizbowl purposes besides tossups about it?

My dim memory of attempting to read The Golden Bough is that there's nothing in it that you couldn't find in more recent and more worthwhile works on religion and comparative mythology.

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:I'd love some recommendations for books on Religion.

Jewish Literacy by Joseph Telushkin is a perfectly cromulent survey of more or less most Judaism-related things that come up in quizbowl, although apparently the current edition has more of a wacky-right-wing slant than the one I have has. If you want to learn about Christianity for quizbowl purposes, studying art history is a surprisingly effective and memorable way to kill two birds with one stone-I suppose in this case the things to look at are survey books on Late Antique/Byzantine/Medieval/Renaissance art, so David Talbot Rice's Art of The Byzantine Era, Peter Lasko's Ars Sacra 800-1200, the catalog to the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Byzantium and Islam show, Michael Baxandall's Painting and Experience in Fifteenth Century Italy or any one of the innumerable surveys of Renaissance art will all be useful value here.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
at your pleasure

Postby jonah » Tue May 13, 2014 11:34 pm

at your pleasure wrote:
Jewish Literacy by Joseph Telushkin is a perfectly cromulent survey of more or less most Judaism-related things that come up in quizbowl, although apparently the current edition has more of a wacky-right-wing slant than the one I have has.
I came here to say that, then changed my mind on the assumption that no one wants to read 700 pages on this subject. Regardless, it is a very good book, nonwithstanding apparent changes in later editions.
Jonah Greenthal
NAQT (member, webmaster, mathematics editor, packet set editor)
IHSSBCA
Formerly New Trier, Illinois, UChicago, St. Ignatius, Loyola Academy
jonah

Previous

Return to New High School Teams