Rules reminder: stop "bumping" tournament announcements

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Rules reminder: stop "bumping" tournament announcements

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hi. Posting just to say "bumping this topic" is against the rules, and has been for some time. I assure you that people whose primary method of finding out about tournaments is reading this forum are already well aware of your event. If you would like help on recruiting teams to your tournament in other ways, we are happy to provide advice in that area.

I will be deleting these posts in the future.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: Rules reminder: stop "bumping" tournament announcements

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

The issue with thread-bumping is that a post that only says "bump" or some such is contentless and thus necessarily against the rules like all other content-free posts. There's no reason to grant announcement bumps an exception to that rule because it's very possible to accomplish the same thing by posting some quick information about your tournament, for example, that the field has been updated, a meeting room chosen, remember that checks need to be written to [organization name], PACE affiliation granted, x number of spots left, "This tournament is x weeks away, please join us!" etc. There are tons of things you can actually say to bump a thread, so why bother with a content-free post? I really don't think this should be a problem for anyone in practice.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
jonpin
Auron

Re: Rules reminder: stop "bumping" tournament announcements

Post by jonpin »

Speaking of field updates, one thing new users should be aware of is that if you are still under moderation (i.e. <7 posts made), and you edit a post, it will disappear until staff re-approves it. If that post is the first in a thread, the entire thread will disappear until staff re-approves the post.

As such, I'd personally suggest that if you're a new poster who has announced a tournament, put the field list in a separate post, so that when you update it, you don't have the whole thread go away.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov