2010 NAQT SCT Northeast NOW AT HARVARD (2/6/10)

Old college threads.
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Re: 2010 NAQT SCT Northeast NOW AT HARVARD (2/6/10)

Post by Wall of Ham »

So my cell phone is out of batteries, but yes, we can do this. Let me send you guys some emails.
Barry
Cornell
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Hey, Cornell IS COMING. So Princeton, COME TOO.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Fantastic, Cornell and Princeton are accomodated.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I'm going to throw caution to the winds and declare the field closed. If you try to register now then I might just throw a fit and make the new DI format a triple round robin in four brackets of two, followed by a triple round robin in two brackets of four, followed by chessboxing, and it'll be all your fault.

Our field is eight DI teams and sixteen DII teams. The schedule in DI will be a double round robin. The schedule in DII will be two brackets of eight rebracketing into two brackets of eight. DII prelim results will carry over into the playoffs, and teams will play crossover games against the four teams they had not faced in the prelims, giving them each eleven games. Finals if necessary will follow.
Andrew Watkins
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:I'm going to throw caution to the winds and declare the field closed. If you try to register now then I might just throw a fit and make the new DI format a triple round robin in four brackets of two, followed by a triple round robin in two brackets of four, followed by chessboxing, and it'll be all your fault.

Our field is eight DI teams and sixteen DII teams. The schedule in DI will be a double round robin. The schedule in DII will be two brackets of eight rebracketing into two brackets of eight. DII prelim results will carry over into the playoffs, and teams will play crossover games against the four teams they had not faced in the prelims, giving them each eleven games. Finals if necessary will follow.
But Mister Watkins, you could add an extra 2 D2 teams with absolutely no change in staffing capabilities and only one additional round! (Trust me: I learned to run a 22 team tournament with 10 rooms of staff last week, I'm becoming good at this "how to run a tournament with not enough staff" thing)

Here is how you do it: Take the eighteen D2 teams and put them in 2 brackets of 9. This requires 8 rooms, which you presumably have enough staff for. Rebracket as follows:

The top 3 teams in each division play the top 3 teams in the other division. This requires 3 games in 3 rounds with 3 rooms.

The middle 3 teams and bottom 3 teams in each division play their respective counterparts as follows:

Round 10: A4 vs B5, B4 vs A5, A7 vs B8, B7 vs A8, A9 vs B9 (bye: A6, B6)
Round 11: B4 vs A6, A5 vs B6, B8 vs A9, A8 vs B9 (bye: A4, B5, A7, B7)
Round 12: A4 vs B6, B5 vs A6, A7 vs B9, B7 vs A9 (bye: B4, A5, A8, B8)
Round 13: A4 vs B4, B5 vs A5, A6 vs B6, A7 vs B7, A8 vs B8 (bye: A9, B9)

This requires 3 games in 4 rounds with 5 rooms; in other words, 8 total playoff rooms.

Thus every team gets 11 games in 12 or 13 rounds, plus you have packets and at least one round head start on the middle/bottom brackets if you need to play a finals series or you want to play NAQT-style finals as an exhibition.

EDIT: You could also accommodate an extra D1 team by doing a 9-team RR and then a 5-4 split giving every team either 11 games in 12 rounds or 12 games in 14 rounds.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Yeah, yeah, I could do all of that. I just prefer proposing nonsense nightmare scenarios. We should probably start a "strange schedule gymnastics" database for people to see if it's feasible to run a tournament of x teams with y packets and z staff (and other important parameters, like h buzzers and k timers, I guess).
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Final logistics email has been sent out.
Andrew Watkins
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

The Williams team has dropped. This will almost inevitably be accommodated just by adding a bye to one of the prelim brackets.
Andrew Watkins
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

OK, I'll see you guys tomorrow morning. The DRR definitely works for D-I and will let everyone have the most games and the most fun. Safe travels everyone coming up from the snowy south.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:We should probably start a "strange schedule gymnastics" database for people to see if it's feasible to run a tournament of x teams with y packets and z staff (and other important parameters, like h buzzers and k timers, I guess).
This can and will happen!
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Dartmouth team is lacking. Combined with the Williams drop, we are back to the RR.
Andrew Watkins
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Brown DII is apparently playing Yale DII or someone like that in an advantaged DII final.

Jerry apparently negged a lot.

EDIT: Brown has won the first game 595-185. Second game commencing. After what I think is 4 tossups it is 55-55.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Like, before I forget, speaking as a D1 player, I wanted to thank those in charge (I'm guessing Andy+) for an amazingly smooth tournament that got through 14 rounds with a 75 minute lunch break in under 8 hours. Props to the D1 readers/scorekeepers doing double duty who ranged from really good to damn insane; Hannah, Katy, Dallas, Ian. As a tournament experience you guys were "top shelf."

Dan
JTS/Columbia now (gotta update sig at some point)...
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Which of the other teams in DI were all undergrads?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Unsure, as I can no longer access teams' rosters or UG status.Yale was not, because of Kevin; Brown was obviously not. You're our UG champions, then.
Andrew Watkins
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Well yeah, I knew already we were the UG champion, but I know the UG champ only gets an auto bid if there were at least four DI undegrad teams in attendance

edited to make sense
Last edited by Ondes Martenot on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I'm going to guess at least one Dartmouth, plus Yale B, but I don't have access to any data on that at the moment.
Andrew Watkins
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I'd like to reiterate what Dan Passner said about the smooth tournament logistics. I think that this has to have been the best-run tournament I've been to this year and I was quite amazed when, just as the tournament finished, I looked at the time for the first time since lunch break and realized it was only 6:30. Thank you to Andy and to all of the staffers.

On another note, I'm sorry to always be the one who posts corrections to stats after tournaments, but I always seem to get mixed up with the other members of the Yale team and this was no exception: for Yale A's Round 14 match against Jerry, my stats have been switched with Aaron's.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Aaron
Lulu

Post by Aaron »

I'll like to echo John's comments and confirm that Yale B was indeed all undergrads.
Aaron Sin
Stanford University School of Medicine '14
Yale '10
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Hey, congrats to Ben and Guy on Brown B for what looks like a pretty impressive day of quizbowl, and avenging that loss to Yale by beating them twice at the end.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
limonysal
Kimahri

Post by limonysal »

Hi,
This is Denise from Yale B. I think my stats were switched with Danila's in rounds 9, 10, and 12 against RPI, Dartmouth, and McGill. Thanks :)
Denise Alfonso
Yale University '11
Dartmouth College Bowl
Lulu

Post by Dartmouth College Bowl »

To confirm, Dartmouth A was UG-only, Dartmouth B was not.

Thanks for a well-run tournament!
Members of the Dartmouth Quizbowl Team, Dartmouth College
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The Dartmouth hive mind approves of this event.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

I concur with all of the above sentiments about the great running of the tournament, and I also want to thank Cornell for agreeing to come at the last minute so we could come also, and to everyone involved in running this to accommodate us.
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
byoung
Lulu

Post by byoung »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:On another note, I'm sorry to always be the one who posts corrections to stats after tournaments, but I always seem to get mixed up with the other members of the Yale team and this was no exception: for Yale A's Round 14 match against Jerry, my stats have been switched with Aaron's.
Fixed, and no apologies needed -- happy to make corrections. Well, mostly indifferent but at least mildly contented.
limonysal wrote:Hi,
This is Denise from Yale B. I think my stats were switched with Danila's in rounds 9, 10, and 12 against RPI, Dartmouth, and McGill. Thanks :)
Also fixed. Sorry, Yalies. :)
Brian Young, Harvard stats fiend
Aaron
Lulu

Post by Aaron »

byoung wrote:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote:On another note, I'm sorry to always be the one who posts corrections to stats after tournaments, but I always seem to get mixed up with the other members of the Yale team and this was no exception: for Yale A's Round 14 match against Jerry, my stats have been switched with Aaron's.
Fixed, and no apologies needed -- happy to make corrections. Well, mostly indifferent but at least mildly contented.
limonysal wrote:Hi,
Also fixed. Sorry, Yalies. :)
Thanks for making the fixes.
Aaron Sin
Stanford University School of Medicine '14
Yale '10
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

Rothlover wrote:Like, before I forget, speaking as a D1 player, I wanted to thank those in charge (I'm guessing Andy+) for an amazingly smooth tournament that got through 14 rounds with a 75 minute lunch break in under 8 hours. Props to the D1 readers/scorekeepers doing double duty who ranged from really good to damn insane; Hannah, Katy, Dallas, Ian. As a tournament experience you guys were "top shelf."
Likewise, it's always a pleasure to work with such an efficient team - and I very much enjoyed the rounds I got to witness - any day that begins with a match like Jerry v. McGill is bound to be interesting. Many thanks to all.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Just out of curiosity, may I ask who the "Ben Xiong" on Brown's team is? Is this actually Ben Cohen, or another Ben who can put up 63 PP20TH next to Guy Tabachnick?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

It's Ben Cohen. Since Cohen doesn't sound particularly like what I imagine Xiong sounds like, I would guess it's one of his ridiculous attempts at humor.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

grapesmoker wrote:It's Ben Cohen. Since Cohen doesn't sound particularly like what I imagine Xiong sounds like, I would guess it's one of his ridiculous attempts at humor.
Sorry for asking about this guy again, but is this the same Ben Cohen who played for New Trier last year and was the 2nd place scorer at HSNCT? I'm just wondering since NAQT says that it's instead the Ben Cohen who played for Brown's DII team last year at SCT, which seems rather...odd, since I thought it was the former figure.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Charbroil wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:It's Ben Cohen. Since Cohen doesn't sound particularly like what I imagine Xiong sounds like, I would guess it's one of his ridiculous attempts at humor.
Sorry for asking about this guy again, but is this the same Ben Cohen who played for New Trier last year and was the 2nd place scorer at HSNCT? I'm just wondering since NAQT says that it's instead the Ben Cohen who played for Brown's DII team last year at SCT, which seems rather...odd, since I thought it was the former figure.
Yes, it is.
Andrew Watkins
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Charbroil wrote:
I can reassure everyone that this is Brown freshman Ben Cohen who did not play on our team last year. I don't even know which Ben Cohen did play for our team; we did have a Ben on our team last year, but that was Ben Zhang.
Jerry Vinokurov
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

grapesmoker wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
I can reassure everyone that this is Brown freshman Ben Cohen who did not play on our team last year. I don't even know which Ben Cohen did play for our team; we did have a Ben on our team last year, but that was Ben Zhang.
I figured as much; I was just wondering about this guy (since NAQT for some strange reason equates him with the freshman Ben Cohen): http://www.naqt.com/stats/individual-pe ... r_id=38745
Charles Hang

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Charbroil wrote:I figured as much; I was just wondering about this guy (since NAQT for some strange reason equates him with the freshman Ben Cohen): http://www.naqt.com/stats/individual-pe ... r_id=38745
As I said, I can only assume it's the other Ben from our team.
Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I'll get this sorted on the NAQT website at some point.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred