Better Stats

Old college threads.
Locked
negatron
Lulu
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 11:21 am

Better Stats

Post by negatron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Does anyone have a better bunch of stats then PPTH, P/N, and bonus conversion to rank teams and players?
These statistics breakdown because of failing to account for field difficulty and because bonus conversion can potentially be on the basis of one bonus, which would give an unrealistic idea of how well a team can do. (Okay, so we did slaughter them 640-40, but they converted bonuses better!). Also, teams do not always have the same composition at each event. Any ideas?
Watson Ladd
BCA '09
UChicago '13

User avatar
cvdwightw
Auron
Posts: 3446
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:46 am
Location: Southern CA
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by cvdwightw » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:32 pm

1. Presumably the new S-value, once released, will be better than anything currently available.

2. Don't knock bonus conversion. It's opponent-independent, and thus makes comparisons easy without accounting for field strength. As long as your sample size isn't so ridiculously small that you're actually trying to compare the team that 30'd Duck Hunt/Super Mario Bros./Punch Out with the team that got the other 19 bonuses, or trying to compare the team that got five ass-hard EuroFest bonuses in a row with a team that had a more even distribution (i.e. you're doing it over the course of a tournament, when presumably bonus variability averages out), it's a pretty good indicator of relative team strength.

3. We're waiting for BeES to show up, so we can compute fun stuff like words per buzz and the derived Player Subject Ratings.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry

User avatar
Wall of Ham
Rikku
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Better Stats

Post by Wall of Ham » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Quizbowler Created Stats

Most of them are for individual stats, and seem difficult to calculate by hand though.
Barry
Cornell

User avatar
BuzzerZen
Auron
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA/Hampshire College
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by BuzzerZen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:23 pm

cvdwightw wrote: 3. We're waiting for BeES Godot to show up
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?

User avatar
Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite
Auron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:46 pm

BuzzerZen wrote:
cvdwightw wrote: 3. We're waiting for BeES Godot to show up with Duke Nukem Forever
Harry White
TJHSST '09
Virginia Tech '13
Tournament Database Search by Team
Will run stats for food

User avatar
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 am
Location: Charlottesville

Re: Better Stats

Post by Kouign Amann » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:47 pm

BuzzerZen wrote:
cvdwightw wrote: 3. We're waiting for BeES Godot to show up
Yeah, seriously, when is BeES coming out? It sounds really cool, and I'd love to see it in action.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19

User avatar
at your pleasure
Auron
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Re: Better Stats

Post by at your pleasure » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm

Yeah, seriously, when is BeES coming out? It sounds really cool, and I'd love to see it in action.
Quite possibly, when :chip: nationals is decided on a question on The Sot-Weed Factor.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

User avatar
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA

Re: Better Stats

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Anti-Climacus wrote: Quite possibly, when :chip: nationals is decided on a question on The Sot-Weed Factor.
An alternative name for marijuana is pot. For the championship and a pack of chocolate cigarettes, an alternative name for tobacco appears in the name of what John Barth work?
Chris Kennedy, MIT

User avatar
Louis XIV and Twenty Million Henchmen
Wakka
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:18 pm
Location: Binghamton, NY

Re: Better Stats

Post by Louis XIV and Twenty Million Henchmen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:39 am

Anti-Climacus wrote:Quite possibly, when :chip: nationals is decided on a question on The Sot-Weed Factor.
To get first dibs on an audio bonus on household appliances manufactured in Texas (hey, look! A Texas team on the panel! These questions were written months in advance, folks!), answer this pyramidal tossup: anagram "Theta screwed foot" into a Barth title.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT

User avatar
rjaguar3
Rikku
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:39 am

Re: Better Stats

Post by rjaguar3 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Might as well announce it here, and not as a competitor to BeES, but I have been developing a question-reading program called JAGUARS ("[insert programmer whose first name starts with "J"] and Greg's User-friendly Automated Reading System). As soon as I can get a handle on doing a platform-independent GUI, I'll give it my best shot.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)

User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6362
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by grapesmoker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:45 pm

rjaguar3 wrote:Might as well announce it here, and not as a competitor to BeES, but I have been developing a question-reading program called JAGUARS ("[insert programmer whose first name starts with "J"] and Greg's User-friendly Automated Reading System). As soon as I can get a handle on doing a platform-independent GUI, I'll give it my best shot.
I'm a programmer whose name starts with J!

I'm also working on a scorekeeping system; it uses Python bindings for Qt, which is platform independent. Right now, I'm at the stage where one can successfully enter teams, players, and keep track of scores, as well as export the information in an XML file. I've contemplated adding question-reading as a feature, but for various reasons relating to having to parse Word files, this is a nontrivial thing to do.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

User avatar
rjaguar3
Rikku
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:39 am

Re: Better Stats

Post by rjaguar3 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

grapesmoker wrote:
rjaguar3 wrote:Might as well announce it here, and not as a competitor to BeES, but I have been developing a question-reading program called JAGUARS ("[insert programmer whose first name starts with "J"] and Greg's User-friendly Automated Reading System). As soon as I can get a handle on doing a platform-independent GUI, I'll give it my best shot.
I'm a programmer whose name starts with J!

I'm also working on a scorekeeping system; it uses Python bindings for Qt, which is platform independent. Right now, I'm at the stage where one can successfully enter teams, players, and keep track of scores, as well as export the information in an XML file. I've contemplated adding question-reading as a feature, but for various reasons relating to having to parse Word files, this is a nontrivial thing to do.
Actually, I'm starting work with QBML files (I have a sample one based on Aegis kickoffs that I am trying to work with). The idea is to modify the files as games are played by inserting buzz tags into the file at the appropriate points, creating a modified file that a different module will be able to read to keep score, compile stats, and generate matches.

Other modules I'm working on include a program to directly enter and manipulate questions and convert questions from QBML to OpenOffice, and from OpenOffice to QBML.

When this is all completed, I plan to release it for free under cc-by-sa.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)

User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6362
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by grapesmoker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:25 pm

rjaguar3 wrote:Actually, I'm starting work with QBML files (I have a sample one based on Aegis kickoffs that I am trying to work with). The idea is to modify the files as games are played by inserting buzz tags into the file at the appropriate points, creating a modified file that a different module will be able to read to keep score, compile stats, and generate matches.

Other modules I'm working on include a program to directly enter and manipulate questions and convert questions from QBML to OpenOffice, and from OpenOffice to QBML.

When this is all completed, I plan to release it for free under cc-by-sa.
That's a great plan. As someone who has explored the various options for how to achieve this, my advice is to keep in mind that whatever you do, you have to make it so that people can essentially plug and chug from Word; this is quite difficult to do and I've yet to find an elegant solution for it, so if you figure it out, let me know.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

User avatar
BuzzerZen
Auron
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Arlington, VA/Hampshire College
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by BuzzerZen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 pm

grapesmoker wrote:That's a great plan. As someone who has explored the various options for how to achieve this, my advice is to keep in mind that whatever you do, you have to make it so that people can essentially plug and chug from Word; this is quite difficult to do and I've yet to find an elegant solution for it, so if you figure it out, let me know.
Jerry, just demand plain-text submissions for your next event. People will deal. This would be my plan if I were ever foolhardy enough to edit a tournament.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?

User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6362
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by grapesmoker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:52 pm

BuzzerZen wrote:Jerry, just demand plain-text submissions for your next event. People will deal. This would be my plan if I were ever foolhardy enough to edit a tournament.
If I thought that would work I would have done it already.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Better Stats

Post by Matt Weiner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:00 am

the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because ______
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: Better Stats

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:24 am

Matt Weiner wrote:the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because the world of reasonably intelligent quizbowlers doesn't need Word and my computer program sure as hell does not
Andrew Watkins

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:49 am

everyday847 wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because the world of reasonably intelligent quizbowlers doesn't need Word and my computer program sure as hell does not
word is easy and I am lazy. convince me otherwise.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

User avatar
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Re: Better Stats

Post by Mechanical Beasts » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 am

Ukonvasara wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because the world of reasonably intelligent quizbowlers doesn't need Word and my computer program sure as hell does not
word is easy and I am lazy. convince me otherwise.
When I copy/paste from Wikipedia into my questions, Notepad automatically removes links so my plagiarism is never cau--ohshit
Andrew Watkins

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4021
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Better Stats

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:45 am

everyday847 wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because the world of reasonably intelligent quizbowlers doesn't need Word and my computer program sure as hell does not
word is easy and I am lazy. convince me otherwise.
When I copy/paste from Wikipedia into my questions, Notepad automatically removes links so my plagiarism is never cau--ohshit
sold
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

User avatar
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Manhattan

Re: Better Stats

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Ukonvasara wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:the world should conform to the needs of my computer program instead of the other way around because the world of reasonably intelligent quizbowlers doesn't need Word and my computer program sure as hell does not
word is easy and I am lazy. convince me otherwise.
Because Image wants you to fight the man, Rob Carson!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."

Locked