Global announcement: ACF Winter (1/17/2009)

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

Global announcement: ACF Winter (1/17/2009)

Post by grapesmoker »

Hello all:

I am pleased to announce that the inaugural ACF Winter tournament will take place on the weekend of January 17, 2009, taking the place of Michigan's MLK, which previously occupied this date. What follows is the official global announcement for the tournament with general details and an invitation to submit bids.

Editors

I will be the head editor for this event. I will be assisted by Dennis Jang and Trygve Meade, both of whom you might remember from such tournaments as the last two EFT incarnation and this year's Illinois Open (if you can see the future). Seriously, though, these guys are great.

Hosting

We are now accepting hosting bids for ACF Winter. For a general overview of what is required to host an ACF tournament, please consult the official ACF Hosting Guidelines. To submit a bid, please email me at grapesmoker at gmail dot com or jerry_v at brown dot edu. We currently have hosts in the following regions (contact people in parentheses to register):
  • Northeast: Yale (Mike Bilow)
  • Southeast: University of Georgia (Chris Chiego)
  • North: Carleton College (Eric Hilleman)
  • Upper Midwest: University of Michigan (Andy Kravis)
  • South America: village of Puente del Inca (Carlos Menem)
  • Lower Midwest: Missouri S&T (Matt Chadbourne)
  • West: CalTech (Micah Manary)
  • Mid-Atlantic: J.S. Reynolds Community College (Dan Goff)
We are still looking for hosts in the following regions:
  • Southwest
  • Northwest
  • Canada
Depending on the geographical distribution of bids received, we may open up more sites, including such places as the North, another Atlantic site, etc. The Northwest site is tentative and dependent on demand; if there is no demand, there will not be a Northwest mirror. Please submit your bids by Nov. 1 so that people will know which sites they'll be going to soon.

Packet Submission

All experienced teams are required to submit packets for ACF Winter. For details regarding who is required to submit a packet and what your packet should look like, please consult the official ACF Packet Submission Guidelines. There will be discounts and penalties for timely and untimely submissions; they are detailed in the guide, but I summarize them below:

Packet submitted by:
Nov. 15: -$50
Nov. 29: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
Dec. 13: No penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
Dec. 20: +$25
Jan. 4: +$50

If you do not make special arrangements with me and do not submit a packet by Jan. 4, you will not be allowed to play. There will be no exceptions to this rule. Also, please take special note of the formatting rules for packet submission. Read this carefully: if your packet violates the formatting guidelines, I will send it right back to you. I am not kidding about this.

Difficulty

ACF Winter is intended as a regular-difficulty event. For comparison, I refer you to Penn Bowl 2007 and 2008 as reasonable sets which you should seek to emulate. In case of doubt, err on the side of the easier rather than the harder question. While ACF Winter seeks to be generally more challenging than ACF Fall, it is not the place for that tossup on Independent People you've been dying to write. If you are unsure whether a particular answer choice is appropriate for this tournament, contact the editors and we'll let you know. In general, you should strive to adhere to the question writing practices outlined in the Guide linked to above as well as in this document.

Other Stuff

If you have any other questions about the tournament, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me and I'll do my best to help you with whatever issues arise. This includes questions about question content, money, and so on. We look forward to producing another exciting set for you to play on.
Last edited by grapesmoker on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Re: Global announcement: ACF Winter (1/17/2009)

Post by Siverus Snape »

What discounts might a high school team who hasn't played in an ACF tournament before garner? I kinda doubt we'd be able to write a whole difficulty-appropriate packet.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Siverus Snape wrote:What discounts might a high school team who hasn't played in an ACF tournament before garner? I kinda doubt we'd be able to write a whole difficulty-appropriate packet.
If your team does not have people on it who have been playing collegiate quizbowl for over 2 years, you don't have to write a packet for an ACF event. Furthermore, if this is your first ACF event, you get a $25 discount. If it is your first collegiate quizbowl event, you get a $75 discount.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, I just wanted to remind everyone that we're working on the bid situation, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be working on your packets. The -$50 deadline is two weeks from now, so I hope to see lots of awesome packets in my inbox before then.
Jerry Vinokurov
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

We really want to go to this. Midwest site please be ~3 hours away.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

JackGlerum wrote:We really want to go to this. Midwest site please be ~3 hours away.
There will likely be two midwest sites. One of them will be Michigan, as promised to Michigan by ACF when we agreed to take over MLK. The other is not yet clear, but we are considering several bids.
Jerry Vinokurov
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Any idea on when tournament sites will be announced? Whether we attend this tournament or not depends largely on whether we will need to stay at a hotel the night before.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ecks wrote:Any idea on when tournament sites will be announced? Whether we attend this tournament or not depends largely on whether we will need to stay at a hotel the night before.
I'll be announcing the sites as soon as the prospective Northeast site and Michigan get back to me, which should be either tomorrow or the day after. I'm pretty sure you will be able to attend this tournament, since we're going to have 3 midwest sites due to popular demand.
Jerry Vinokurov
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

grapesmoker wrote:
ecks wrote:Any idea on when tournament sites will be announced? Whether we attend this tournament or not depends largely on whether we will need to stay at a hotel the night before.
I'll be announcing the sites as soon as the prospective Northeast site and Michigan get back to me, which should be either tomorrow or the day after. I'm pretty sure you will be able to attend this tournament, since we're going to have 3 midwest sites due to popular demand.
Excellent. Hopefully one of them is in the state of Illinois, as Michigan/Mizzou/Minnesota would amazingly have 3 tournaments in my region and still none of them nearby.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

cornfused wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:
Excellent. Hopefully one of them is in the state of Illinois, as Michigan/Mizzou/Minnesota would amazingly have 3 tournaments in my region and still none of them nearby BECAUSE I GO TO COLLEGE ON THE FUCKING MOON.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

cornfused wrote:Excellent. Hopefully one of them is in the state of Illinois, as Michigan/Mizzou/Minnesota would amazingly have 3 tournaments in my region and still none of them nearby.
Yeah, um, I have some bad news for you...
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I am pleased to announce the following hosts for ACF Winter 2009 (host contacts in parentheses):

Northeast: Yale (Mike Bilow)
Southeast: University of Georgia (Chris Chiego)
North: Univeristy of Minnesota (Andrew Hart)
Upper Midwest: University of Michigan (Andy Kravis)
Lower Midwest: Missouri S&T (Matt Chadbourne)
West: CalTech (Micah Manary)

I will update the original post in this thread with the hosts. Some things to note: we are still waiting for a mid-Atlantic host. Calculations performed on backs of envelopes show that a Richmond site would be an optimal place for Winter, so we're interested in hearing from teams in that area. The mid-South site has been eliminated and so far, we're not doing a separate Florida site, since it looks like Athens is sufficiently central to the entire Southeast to accommodate almost all the interested teams from that region. The Midwest has developed an extra site at Minnesota because there are just so many teams and limiting to two sites would mean a lot of travel for the North region. We still do not have a Southwest site, and barring some Texas teams coming forward I am not sure that we will; however, for Oklahoma based teams, please note that the Missouri site is actually closer to you than most potential Texas sites would be. We are also in communication with Mike Bentley about a possible Northwest site; we'd really like to see this happen, so if any team from that region wants to step up and host we'd be delighted. Finally, the success of ACF Fall Canada suggests to me that an ACF Winter in Canada would be desirable; Canadian teams, if you would be interested in hosting a Winter site, please let me know. For those Canadian teams that are relatively close to the Michigan peninsula (Toronto, Guelph), consider going to the Ann Arbor site, since we won't have a Canada site that competes with it (like at, say, Toronto), but we would like to have a site somewhere else in Canada for those teams that can't make it that far.

Also, November 15 is the deadline to submit a packet for the maximum discount. The number of packets that have been submitted so far is equal to the number of known odd perfect numbers, so get to work everyone!
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

By the way, hosts that have been announced should post their individual site announcements soon. If you have any questions, as always you can contact me or my co-editors, Trygve Meade and Dennis Jang.
Jerry Vinokurov
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:
cornfused wrote:Excellent. Hopefully one of them is in the state of Illinois, as Michigan/Mizzou/Minnesota would amazingly have 3 tournaments in my region and still none of them nearby.
Yeah, um, I have some bad news for you...
Amazing... three in the region and yet they're 570, 435, and 284 miles away.

Well, I'll do my best to somehow make this work.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

grapesmoker wrote:North: Univeristy of Minnesota (Andrew Hart)
Wait, what?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Wait, what?
Yeah, how did this happen?
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Maybe someone can give you a ride, Greg? It's never too early to ask, especially for a tournament that's going to be as awesome as this one.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

alkrav112 wrote:Maybe someone can give you a ride, Greg? It's never too early to ask, especially for a tournament that's going to be as awesome as this one.
The thing is, Andy, I have teammates.

Lawrence is provisionally coming to the Michigan site if the hosts are, in fact, Michigan/Carleton/MizzouS&T.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Wait, what?
Ok, let me explain. I talked to Andrew a couple days ago, and he said he thought Minnesota could host. So I went ahead and announced it. And then I got an email from Andrew saying that due to logistical reasons you could not host. So now we're looking for another North site.

Everyone take a deep breath and relax :)
Jerry Vinokurov
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

grapesmoker wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
Wait, what?
Ok, let me explain. I talked to Andrew a couple days ago, and he said he thought Minnesota could host. So I went ahead and announced it. And then I got an email from Andrew saying that due to logistical reasons you could not host. So now we're looking for another North site.

Everyone take a deep breath and relax :)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAoh okay.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

cornfused wrote:Amazing... three in the region and yet they're 570, 435, and 284 miles away.

Greg, I am doing my best to pick the three sites that are going to result in maximum participation. Since Chicago didn't bid, I could hardly have them host, and it happens to be the case that this distribution of sites is optimal given the areas we're trying to cover. As someone who used to have to drive long distances routinely to attend tournaments as a member of the Berkeley squad, I understand your problem, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do for a single team. Yeah, 300 miles is kind of far, but it's not so far that it's undoable; people in other regions make trips like this all the time.
Jerry Vinokurov
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

grapesmoker wrote: Finally, the success of ACF Fall Canada suggests to me that an ACF Winter in Canada would be desirable; Canadian teams, if you would be interested in hosting a Winter site, please let me know. For those Canadian teams that are relatively close to the Michigan peninsula (Toronto, Guelph), consider going to the Ann Arbor site, since we won't have a Canada site that competes with it (like at, say, Toronto), but we would like to have a site somewhere else in Canada for those teams that can't make it that far.
Jerry:

I would agree with you in the respect that I think having an ACF Winter in Canada would be desirable. However, it appears these days that Canadian quiz bowl happens to be centered within an hour's drive of Hamilton, with outlying programs at Ottawa and McGill.

Looking at ACF Fall, I believe that its success was due to the fact that it replaced a tournament on the Canadian calendar (the Ontario/BC Bowl events ran by Brock Stephenson) and because the tournament was in a central location to a great number of teams (Hamilton happens to be within an hour's drive of Guelph, Toronto, Laurier, and Waterloo.)

Also, it has been my experience that Canadian teams usually do not travel great distances to "new" tournaments (as ACF Winter would be for us, due to it not replacing any specific tournament on the Canadian circuit calendar). And yes, in many eyes up here, Michigan is a "great distance" - and despite the prevailing wisdom of "quiz bowl requires travel. Deal with it." that I sometimes see, I can also forsee that sort of thing being off-putting to a number of teams.

Additionally, as the 2007 NAQT SCT showed, there can be a tournament in Southern Ontario as well as Michigan without it being detrimental to both tournaments (24 played in the SCT at Brock, 15 at Michigan).

I would certainly ask you to revisit the idea of holding an ACF Winter in Southern Ontario if a program wishes to come forward and host one.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:
cornfused wrote:Amazing... three in the region and yet they're 570, 435, and 284 miles away.

Greg, I am doing my best to pick the three sites that are going to result in maximum participation. Since Chicago didn't bid, I could hardly have them host, and it happens to be the case that this distribution of sites is optimal given the areas we're trying to cover. As someone who used to have to drive long distances routinely to attend tournaments as a member of the Berkeley squad, I understand your problem, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do for a single team. Yeah, 300 miles is kind of far, but it's not so far that it's undoable; people in other regions make trips like this all the time.
No, it's totally understandable - I plugged the hosts into Google Maps, and the only teams in the Midwest that got hurt by this are Lawrence and, um, Wisconsin-Madison. Lawrence can do a Carleton tournament (it's not too much farther than Minneapolis, where we did ACF Fall,) and because we have my house in the north-side Chicago suburbs, we'll probably do Michigan.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Andy, I am amenable to a Southern Ontario site provided it does not take away anything from Michigan. From looking at the maps, it seems that Toronto is probably close to the upper end of how far I would expect most teams to drive. If it is the case that no Canadian club would be willing to make this trip and a Canadian club also steps up to host, I will seriously consider it.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Carleton College will be the new host of ACF Winter North. Expect an announcement from them soon.
Jerry Vinokurov
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

What's the status on finding a mid atlantic mirror?
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Adamantium Claws wrote:What's the status on finding a mid atlantic mirror?
grapesmoker wrote:Calculations performed on backs of envelopes show that a Richmond site would be an optimal place for Winter, so we're interested in hearing from teams in that area.
You tell us.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Lapego1 wrote:
Adamantium Claws wrote:What's the status on finding a mid atlantic mirror?
grapesmoker wrote:Calculations performed on backs of envelopes show that a Richmond site would be an optimal place for Winter, so we're interested in hearing from teams in that area.
You tell us.
I am 99% confident that the mid-Atlantic site will be in Richmond, though the exact host is yet to be determined. I apologize for being secretive about this; I would just rather not name any particular schools at the moment. Hopefully all will be resolved in the next day or two.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Your Mid-Atlantic host for ACF Winter is J.S. Reynolds CC. Dan Goff will be the contact and I expect him to post an announcement soon.
Jerry Vinokurov
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

grapesmoker wrote: [*]South America: village of Puente del Inca (Carlos Menem)
The University of Minnesota will hopefully be sending a team to this location for ACF Winter.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Siverus Snape wrote:What discounts might a high school team who hasn't played in an ACF tournament before garner? I kinda doubt we'd be able to write a whole difficulty-appropriate packet.
If your team does not have people on it who have been playing collegiate quizbowl for over 2 years, you don't have to write a packet for an ACF event. Furthermore, if this is your first ACF event, you get a $25 discount. If it is your first collegiate quizbowl event, you get a $75 discount.
So the overall cost for one completely new team would be...
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

$120 base fee - $75 new team = 45 bucks, minus 5 for a buzzer system and 10 if you're from >200 miles away, I believe.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

cornfused wrote:$120 base fee - $75 new team = 45 bucks, minus 5 for a buzzer system and 10 if you're from >200 miles away, I believe.
Actually, you'll qualify for the blanket $50 HS discount, meaning you play for a max of $70.

GREG PETERSON WHERE IS YOUR COMPUTATIONAL MATH SKILL I THOUGHT YOU WERE FROM ILLINOIS
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Matt Weiner wrote:Hey, there are some changes to the ACF policies based on their first run at Fall.

The following three changes will go into effect immediately (that is, starting with the upcoming ACF Winter):

*High school teams playing ACF tournaments will now blanketly receive fifty dollars off the entry fee, and will no longer be able to claim the "new quizbowl team" or "new ACF team" discounts.
*High school teams do not ever have to write packets, even if they contain people who have been playing collegiate tournaments for more than two years. Optional packets from good writers will of course continue to be encouraged and will result in discounts.
*The laptop discount is now $5 rather than $10.

The following change will go into effect starting with the 2009-2010 academic year:

*All collegiate freshmen will be Division II-eligible regardless of whether they played ACF Nationals in high school.

These changes will be put onto the policy webpages shortly.
boom shaka laka
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Ukonvasara wrote:boom shaka laka
you are like my favorite person rob carson
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I just wanted to let people know that the deadlines are supposed to be Sunday nights. So if you didn't get your packet in by 12 tonight, you actually still have one more day. I will update the original post with the corrected deadlines as well.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Given how good the hosts have been about announcing sites, now is a good time to mention that the -$25 deadline has passed; the next deadline is the "no penalty" deadline on December 13. I've already got a fair number of packets, including some from teams that have never written before, which is awesome. Please keep up the good work!
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Reminding you all that tomorrow is the deadline to get your packet in and only pay the $25 penalty. We have lots of packets in already but we always need more; keep them coming!
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Here's an update of the packets we have received thus far, in no particular order:

Brown
UCLA A
Dartmouth C
Michigan State A
Lawrence
Truman State A
Mississippi State
Dartmouth A
UNC
Notre Dame
University of Central Florida
UC Irvine
CMU
UCLA B
Georgia Tech
VCU
Andy Watkins
UCSD B
Iowa

Some usual suspects are conspicuously absent from this list. Submit your packet soon so you don't have to pay exorbitant penalties or beg for forgiveness!
Last edited by grapesmoker on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I believe you left me off the list.
Andrew Watkins
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

You also should have received Iowa's packet, back on December 13th.
Paul Drube, University of Iowa
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I've added Andy, Iowa, and UCSD B, which I had missed on the first pass.
Jerry Vinokurov
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

I have a question, does the distribution of each subject remain the same for all ACF events?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:I have a question, does the distribution of each subject remain the same for all ACF events?
I'm not sure what you mean. If you are asking whether all ACF events use the same distribution, the answer is yes.
Jerry Vinokurov
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

You listed UCLA B twice. Are there 3 UCLA packets?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

dinoian wrote:You listed UCLA B twice. Are there 3 UCLA packets?
No, I'm just bad at typing.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The final deadline for packets to be submitted to ACF Winter has passed. I'm excited by the number and quality of the submitted packets and I'd like to thank everyone who has sent one in (list to be updated soon). Some teams have made arrangements with me about getting a packet in a day late, so if you have not submitted a packet but are required to do so, you'd better get in touch with me. I am a merciful editor but if I don't hear from you by tonight, I will glower in your general direction and issue a directive to not let you play. So don't be that team!
Jerry Vinokurov
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Jerry, could you update the list of teams that have submitted packets?
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Here's the updated tally of teams that have sent in packets:

Brown
UCLA A
Dartmouth C
Michigan State A
Lawrence
Truman State A
Mississippi State
Dartmouth A
UNC
Notre Dame
University of Central Florida
UC Irvine
CMU
UCLA B
Georgia Tech
VCU
Andy Watkins
UCSD B
Iowa
Chicago A, B, and C
Ohio State
South Carolina
Maryland
Jack Glerum and friends
Pitt A and B
Stanford A and B
Toronto
Minnesota
WUSTL
UIC
Missouri State A

Let me know if you've sent me something and I've missed it. A few other teams have made arrangements with me to get their packets in soon; you should know who you are.
Jerry Vinokurov