NAQT timing policy

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

NAQT timing policy

Post by Matt Weiner »

Accepting as a premise that the clock is here to stay, here are some suggestions for making sure games don't end after 13 tossups:

1) There should be a rule requiring that all games go through tossup 18 regardless of when the clock goes off.

2) NAQT should send moderator instructions with its packet sets that tell people not to make comments between questions, not to stare at the packet for several seconds for no apparent reason, and not to allow more time than the rules dictate for teams to answer.

3) Given that they make it harder for moderators to find the actual words to read and never seem to provide their ostensible benefit, the intrusive, difficult-to-decipher, and frequently incorrect pronunciation guides should be dropped from the questions.

There are some things, like tripping over foreign or sciencey words, that are unavoidable when you have inexperienced people reading, and I understand that and realize that people are volunteering their time and shouldn't be criticized for those things if it's not a hugely important game. But there are other issues that can be dealt with via a long-overdue rules change, or simply telling people firmly to stop doing certain things.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Re: NAQT timing policy

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Matt Weiner wrote:Accepting as a premise that the clock is here to stay, here are some suggestions for making sure games don't end after 13 tossups:

1) There should be a rule requiring that all games go through tossup 18 regardless of when the clock goes off.
That seems reasonable to me, even as a fan of timed matches in general. Did a match really end after only 13 tossups? I cannot imagine how many terrible things had to have happened for that to happen. My condolences to whoever had to deal with that.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Re: NAQT timing policy

Post by vandyhawk »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:Accepting as a premise that the clock is here to stay, here are some suggestions for making sure games don't end after 13 tossups:

That seems reasonable to me, even as a fan of timed matches in general. Did a match really end after only 13 tossups? I cannot imagine how many terrible things had to have happened for that to happen. My condolences to whoever had to deal with that.
Matt is talking about Va Tech, but our DII guys said they had a game only get through 12 questions, which assuming they're correct, is just awful.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'm not trying to call anyone out; this has been a problem that has been noted to some extent after every collegiate NAQT tournament. There was one rocky game at VT but the other 99% of matches there went very well, so this should be taken as a general reflection and not a commentary on what was on the whole a very well-run VT event.
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Matt wrote:3) Given that they make it harder for moderators to find the actual words to read and never seem to provide their ostensible benefit, the intrusive, difficult-to-decipher, and frequently incorrect pronunciation guides should be dropped from the questions.
I definitely support this. The pronunciation guides tripped me up much more often than they helped me, and some of the ones for words in languages I know seemed a bit iffy. If they must be included, I'd rather have all of the pronunciation guides for the question printed above the question (as was done for the Michigan MLK at one point) than have them interspersed in the question.

Also, twenty-four questions is awfully short for D2. I guess I agree with CBI's principle (!) that, if you're going to have a clock, you should be reading questions until the timer goes off. A reasonably speedy moderator is likely to finish a 24-question packet in a D2 match in less than 18 minutes. I'd like it if the D2 packets had twenty-six questions like D1.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

This strikes me as being more of a problem of inefficient moderating than one of NAQT's policies. When moderating a timed match, you have to be aware of that factor and run the match accordingly.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I am not a huge fan of timed rounds, but I did not mind them as much as I thought I would.

One thing that might be better to see a timer where the moderator and the teams can see the clock at the same time.

Time rounds can lead to gamesmanship, strategy, and some dirty tricks. The one thing I don't like is that if time runs out on a tossup, it goes dead. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If time runs out on a bonus the team gets to continue hearing the bonus.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

bjb87 wrote:Time rounds can lead to gamesmanship, strategy, and some dirty tricks. The one thing I don't like is that if time runs out on a tossup, it goes dead. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If time runs out on a bonus the team gets to continue hearing the bonus.
What's wrong with strategy? It's part of the game. I don't like it either, but I recognize that it's there. One thing that could be done to get rid of it is make "invisible clock rules" the norm. Under invisible clock rules, the timer does not kill the tossup. This would get rid of any "gamesmanship."
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

DaGeneral wrote:
bjb87 wrote:Time rounds can lead to gamesmanship, strategy, and some dirty tricks. The one thing I don't like is that if time runs out on a tossup, it goes dead. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If time runs out on a bonus the team gets to continue hearing the bonus.
What's wrong with strategy? It's part of the game. I don't like it either, but I recognize that it's there. One thing that could be done to get rid of it is make "invisible clock rules" the norm. Under invisible clock rules, the timer does not kill the tossup. This would get rid of any "gamesmanship."
This was done in one of the rooms at the Pitt mirror and worked very well.

With this policy as the norm, matches would still go fast, and you would still have incentives to rush or slow down I guess (to keep at least some the "gamesmanship" in timed rounds), but there would be less matches coming down to wild guesses or annoying time-wasting neg fives at the end of rounds.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

DaGeneral wrote:
I think you're missing the point that the more rules there are, the more ways there are to exploit them. The question that needs to be asked is whether having a clock is an integral part of the game, or something tacked on to make rounds seem "exciting." My answer is that the clock is an unnecessary hindrance, but NAQT loves the clock so we're pretty much stuck with it.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Aaron Kashtan
Lulu

Post by Aaron Kashtan »

How would "invisible clock rules" be enforced? Are the players forbidden to look at their own watches or cell phones? What if there's a wall clock in the room?
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

That's NAQT rule F.5, specifying that the tossup be completed if the official clock is not visible to both teams. It's not some bizarre scenario banning the players from using their own clocks.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

bt_green_warbler wrote:That's NAQT rule F.5, specifying that the tossup be completed if the official clock is not visible to both teams. It's not some bizarre scenario banning the players from using their own clocks.
I could definately see a scenario of some team up by 10 points buzzing in with 4-5 seconds left to kill the match, then the losing team claim that they couldn't see the clock in order to get the whole toss-up read. Of course this could be avoided if the moderator asked about the clock's visibility beforehand.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

It has to be announced by the moderator before the match starts. You can't claim it retroactively.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

I figured that it should be, I could just see a problem on the off chance that the mod forgot.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Interrupt
Lulu

Post by Interrupt »

I'll throw another suggestion in for the sake of moderators who aren't so experienced in the NAQT format. This is most likely probably common sense as well (as "not making extraneous remarks" should be), but... it's worked before, I'll just say.

Separate toss-ups and bonuses before starting the game. The two to three seconds you save by not flipping pages every time you go from one to the other can very easily add up to an additional tossup/bonus cycle you can fit in.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Interrupt wrote:Separate toss-ups and bonuses before starting the game. The two to three seconds you save by not flipping pages every time you go from one to the other can very easily add up to an additional tossup/bonus cycle you can fit in.
Absolutely. And this works even in untimed matches, only instead of giving you more questions, it gets you home sooner. And laptop tournaments? Open two copies of the packet and switch between.

Should be common sense, but it never hurts to remind your readers.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Or, with packets in .doc format, open them in Word and split-screen it. Takes even less time during the match.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

bt_green_warbler wrote:It has to be announced by the moderator before the match starts. You can't claim it retroactively.
Yeah, you hear that, Bruce Arthur? Taste it.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Paul150
Lulu

Post by Paul150 »

I would also like to add in that TD's should make sure they have readers read at practice to ensure they don't constantly mispronounce common words or have a tendency to lapse into a fake British accent while reading quickly, as it can get extremely distracting. Also, ensuring you don't have a reader who fights with his scorekeeper and delays the round during a timed match is something I'd like to see (This isn't to detract from the Alabama TD, who ran a great tournament, but there was one reader with whom I took an issue after being in his room twice).
Paul Barnhill
University of Georgia 2009
Hofstra University School of Law 2012
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

I have a good idea of who you are referring to. Lord knows, you now have met...Jonathan Thompson.