NAQT writer applications are now open

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT writer applications are now open

Post by theMoMA »

Hi all,

If you're interested in writing for NAQT, the application period is now open. We'd love to have lots of high-quality submissions to review this year. The last day to apply is July 31, but we accept on a rolling basis.

NAQT writers are currently paid up to $6.60 per tossup and $4.95 per bonus; those numbers will increase somewhat when the 2017-18 rates are set this summer.

Head over to https://www.naqt.com/jobs.html for more information. If you have any questions about the application process, shoot an email to [email protected] (or [email protected] if you want to contact me). Thanks!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Re: NAQT writer applications are now open

Post by theMoMA »

NAQT has announced its new payment rates for 2017-18. Writers will be able to make up to $7.25 per tossup and $5.45 per bonus in the coming year, beginning on July 1. (Each payment depends on question difficulty and writer experience; contact me at [email protected] or NAQT at [email protected] if you'd like more specifics.)
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

theMoMA wrote:NAQT has announced its new payment rates for 2017-18. Writers will be able to make up to $7.25 per tossup and $5.45 per bonus in the coming year, beginning on July 1. (Each payment depends on question difficulty and writer experience; contact me at [email protected] or NAQT at [email protected] if you'd like more specifics.)
What are the entry and average rates? It's worth knowing how much writers can expect before committing to NAQT over PACE or HSAPQ.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
theMoMA wrote:NAQT has announced its new payment rates for 2017-18. Writers will be able to make up to $7.25 per tossup and $5.45 per bonus in the coming year, beginning on July 1. (Each payment depends on question difficulty and writer experience; contact me at [email protected] or NAQT at [email protected] if you'd like more specifics.)
What are the entry and average rates? It's worth knowing how much writers can expect before committing to NAQT over PACE or HSAPQ.
Or in addition, of course; no need to make it an either-or proposition.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, considering PACE runs one tournament a year, I don't think they have too many exclusive contracts.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The lowest-end rates are $3.60 or $3.70 per tossup (depending on difficulty level/length) and $3 per bonus. If everyone stays in their current payment tier, in 2017–2018 most writers will make $4.30/$4.85 per tossup (depending on difficulty level/length) and $3.40/$3.70 per bonus (depending on difficulty level). The next tier up (also very common) is $4.85/$6.05/$3.90/$4.60.

As Rob and Mike said, it's not a dichotomous situation.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
What are the entry and average rates?
I suppose any/all of this could change in 2017-18, but in 2016-17 what we did was: new writers automatically start out in the lowest tier, so the numbers Jonah quoted ($3.60 for middle school/IS-A level tossups; $3.70 for tossups at the regular IS level and harder; $3 per bonus) are the entry rates. Once a new writer has produced 40 questions, they get a formal review, at which time they can move to any tier (including jumping directly into the top tier, with the high-end numbers Andrew quoted). (And we also give advice on how to earn further promotions, if the writer didn't jump into the top tier. And we continue giving reviews periodically, when a writer has accumulated enough new questions since their previous review.)

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

setht wrote:(And we also give advice on how to earn further promotions, if the writer didn't jump into the top tier. And we continue giving reviews periodically, when a writer has accumulated enough new questions since their previous review.)
Hey Seth --- are these done automatically, or do writers need to request them?
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

sonstige wrote:Hey Seth --- are these done automatically, or do writers need to request them?
Reviews are automatically scheduled; no request needed!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

More good news: NAQT has announced a major change that will significantly increase payments to writers who consistently produce questions. A writer who consistently produces N questions a week will get a bonus of N% on top of their writing payments, up to the maximum bonus for that writer's tier. For instance, an eligible writer who produces 30 questions a week will make a 30% bonus on each question. These bonuses will be automatically computed and paid, every writer is eligible to receive bonuses, and no additional sign-up is necessary for a writer to enter the program.

Starting July 1, NAQT writers will be able to make up to $10.15 per tossup and up to $8.47 per bonus.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Just a reminder: applications are open through July 31. If you'd like to apply, please do so soon!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

So, what if you have been a writer in the past, but have not submitted in a while? Must one reapply?
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

Would applying for a writer position prevent me from playing NAQT events with my team?
Alex Wallace
Washington-Lee High School Class of 2015
College of William & Mary Class of 2019
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Scipio wrote:So, what if you have been a writer in the past, but have not submitted in a while? Must one reapply?
It depends on various factors; please contact us at [email protected] to inquire.
SpanishSpy wrote:Would applying for a writer position prevent me from playing NAQT events with my team?
No. Writer accounts are set up so that they cannot see packet sets for events they plan to play.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

jonah wrote:
Scipio wrote:
SpanishSpy wrote:Would applying for a writer position prevent me from playing NAQT events with my team?
No. Writer accounts are set up so that they cannot see packet sets for events they plan to play.
Thanks. I will apply within the next few days.
Alex Wallace
Washington-Lee High School Class of 2015
College of William & Mary Class of 2019