2017 WAO: Submission Feedback Thread

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

2017 WAO: Submission Feedback Thread

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Post in this thread if you'd like feedback on your submissions - blanket feedback requests can be a bit difficult, so we'd prefer some specifics with requests (i.e. specific questions, specific feedback on clue choice, etc.)

I'm happy to answer any questions about more specific editing decisions in my categories - i.e. why I changed something, why I didn't use a question, etc.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
everdiso
Wakka

Re: Submission Feedback Thread

Post by everdiso »

I noticed this very late, but I wanted to ask why a couple of my questions weren't used.
One historian has attempted to describe the style of this man’s government with the concept of “working towards” this leader. A policy pursued by this man’s government is the focus of the “functionalism vs. intentionalism” debate among historians, versions of which include the “crooked path” and “bottom-up” theories. Historian Ian Kershaw has described the “cumulative radicalisation” of this man’s regime, arguing that the Madagascar Plan was serious, and that only its logistical impossibility led to the decision eventually taken at the Wannsee Conference. That decision led to an event whose uniqueness is the subject of debate among historians, and which was analysed in Raul Hilberg’s work titled after the “Destruction” of its namesake ethnic group. For ten points, name this dictator, whose regime implemented the Final Solution to the Jewish Question.
ANSWER: Adolf Hitler
In 2010, police protesting against this leader’s proposed “Public Service Organic Law” captured him and held him in a hospital, forcing the military to break him free, in a possible coup attempt. After declaring the burden ìmmoral`, this man`s government voluntarily defaulted on its debt in 2008 and succeeded in having it restructured the following year. This leader passed a new constitution that made his country the first in the world to codify enforceable rights of nature, as well as a right to food. This man founded the Proud and Sovereign Fatherland, or PAIS, Alliance, and in 2015, widespread protests against his plans to introduce inheritance and capital gains taxes were joined by indigenous groups. In 2012, this leader’s government granted asylum to Julian Assange and has since housed him in its embassy in London. For ten points, name this man who, since 2007, has been President of Ecuador.
ANSWER: Rafael [Vicente] Correa [Delgado]
Thanks!
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

For the former - there were actually multiple submissions on Hiter-related historiography (UVA submitted one) and I obviously couldn't use them all - it was a smaller sacrifice not to use yours, as we combined your packet with another one that had 5 submitted history tossups at the ready. As for the latter, I've asked about Correa a few times before and just didn't feel like doing it again - especially considering that I combined y'alls packet with Mike Bentley's, and he wrote a tossup on Timothy Leary that I really wanted to use.

Nothing against the questions, just the nuts and bolts of editing decisions.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Ah, understood. Thank you!
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020