Midwest SCT @ Illinois, 2/6/2016

Old college threads.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Midwest SCT @ Illinois, 2/6/2016

Post by Captain Sinico »

ANNOUNCEMENT
This year's NAQT Midwest Sectional Championship Tournament (SCT) will take place on Saturday, February 6, 2016 on the campus of the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. This event is hosted by the University of Illinois Academic Buzzer Team, with me, Mike Sorice, as tournament director.

As with all SCTs, this tournament is a qualifier for NAQT ICT, to be played 4/9/2016 in Rosemont, IL.

REGISTRATION
To register for the Midwest SCT, teams must be college eligible per NAQT's eligibility rules. Teams may register in either Division I or Division II as appropriate.

We're using the NAQT registration system, so you'll need an NAQT account, which is free and easy to make. To register, head over to NAQT's site.

TOURNAMENT QUESTIONS, RULES & FORMAT
Midwest SCT will be played on NAQT's 2015-16 SCT set under NAQT rules, including timed play.

Midwest SCT's format will depend on the field size, so I will announce it nearer the event, but it won't be much different from NAQT's recommendations.

LOCATION & TRAVEL
Midwest SCT will take place at David Kinley Hall at the University of Illinois. Free weekend parking is available nearby in Lot E3 and several other places nearby. If you have any travel questions, including requests for directions to the tournament via public transit, please contact me.

DISCOUNTS & FEES
Midwest SCT is using the standard NAQT fee schedule. The registration fee is $125 for the first team and $100 for each subsequent team. Discounts available are: $10 for each working buzzer system, $5 for each suitable and working clock, $20 for being a new school per NAQT's definition, and $30 for each qualified reader brought by a team who is able to read for the whole tournament. Obviously, our tournament can’t happen without working buzzer systems or able staff, so please bring as many as you can!

Checks for registration fees should be made out to the tournament director, Michael Sorice. If you wish to pay in advance, contact me for the address. Otherwise, payment is due at the start of the tournament.

Teams who have not already paid by then will receive an invoice by e-mail once registration closes, about a week before the tournament. If you'd like to get an invoice earlier than that, contact me for.

FIELD
See the field from NAQT's site.

CALL FOR STAFF
The NAQT Illinois State Championship Midwest SCT can’t happen without staff! Fortunately, our area has a large, able and supportive corps of tournament staffers. If you are one of them, please sign up to help at this tournament as soon as you can. Staffers will receive monetary compensation as well as food. I may also be able to assist with travel and even lodging if those are necessary for you. If you have any questions or want to sign up to staff, please contact me.

MORE INFORMATION
You can post any questions not otherwise addressed here: I'll check this thread and reply daily. You can also contact me by e-mail. Please check this thread for general updates, and check your e-mail for items specific to you.

SUMMARY
NAQT Midwest SCT is 2/6 at University of Illinois. Register teams here. Register staff here. Post questions to this thread or e-mail them to me.
Last edited by Captain Sinico on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
alexdz
Rikku

Re: Midwest SCT @ Illinois, 2/6/2016

Post by alexdz »

Captain Sinico wrote:CALL FOR STAFF
The NAQT Illinois State Championship can’t happen without staff!
True, but that tournament is the following weekend. :)
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Oops! I fixed that.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hi again everyone,

Well, it's a little over a week before the start of the tournament, so let me update you all. Please note that all the information up-thread is still useful and relevant and I'll avoid repeating any of it, so it's a good idea to give that another read.

LOGISTICS & TIMING
Teams may check in starting at 8:15 at 114 David Kinley Hall. You'll receive your schedule - which will follow this guide modulo the field when registration closes in a few days - as well as direction what to do about your buzzer systems (if any) at that time. If you haven't paid in advance, you'll also receive an invoice and should make payment at check-in.

Inside room 114, we'll have a brief meeting for teams at 8:45, and then games will commence by 9:00. Teams should plan to arrive by 8:30. If your team isn't here by 9:00 and haven't called me (check your e-mail for my number,) expect to start forfeiting games.

We'll break for about an hour for lunch around noon, after a scheduled number of rounds. Play should wrap up for most teams around 5:00. Finals and awards should conclude about 5:45. DII finals should go in room 114; DI maybe elsewhere.

As many teams are coming from Indiana, please remember that Illinois is on Central Time, so you'll gain an hour.

INVOICES & RECEIPTS
If you want an invoice in advance of the tournament, just send me an e-mail and I'm happy to get you one. You'll also receive a paper receipt after you pay at check-in. Please do be prepared to pay at check-in, or make other arrangements with me in advance.

ROSTERS
If you haven't already done so, please submit your roster through NAQT's site. This will greatly ease our running of the event and shouldn't take you more than a minute or two!

As ever, please post in this thread with questions of general interest and send me an e-mail with anything particular to you. Thanks, see you in a week!
Mike Sorice
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I had a lot of fun directing yesterday's 2016 NAQT Midwest SCT at the University of Illinois, which featured very spirited, high-level play from some of the world's best, from the next generations at established power, and even from some brand new teams!

Congratulations to the champions, University of Chicago A (John Lawrence, Chris Ray, Max Schindler, Jason Zhou.) The Maroons turned in a 13-0 record to lap a 4-team DI field, handling Northwestern University A (Mike McCauley, Dylan Minarik) in the first game of an advantaged final.

In our 20-team Division II, Chicago C (Brett Barbin, Alston Boyd, Samir Khan, Francesco Scivittaro) romped to a 13-0 result, likewise winning an advantaged final in a single game against cohorts Chicago D (Olivia Kiser, Federico Scivittaro, Sam Winikow, Annie Xu.)

The Division I All-Tournament Team, as determined by P/TUH in the 12-game initial quadruple round robin, was:
Dylan Minarik, Northwestern A (111.67 PPG)
Max Schindler, Chicago A (70.42 PPG)
Charles Hang, Washington University in St. Louis A (66.82 PPG)
Chris Ray, Chicago A (57.92 PPG)
John Lawrence, Chicago A (57.50 PPG)

The Division II All-Tournament Team, based on P/TUH in the pooled round robin phase consisting of the first 9 games, was:
Andrew Kiss, Notre Dame University B (113.33 PPG)
Steven Landeweer, Illinois Wesleyan University (80.62 PPG)
Alston Boyd, Chicago C (81.25 PPG)
Olivia Kiser, Chicago D (77.78 PPG)
B. Quinn McKenzie, Butler University (65.07 PPG.)

Full results are available from the tournament QBDB entry. The stats are currently a dump of all rounds from both divisions - finals listed as Round 1314 and Tiebreakers as Round 1610. I can generate splits later if there is demand - just let me know by posting here. Please also post here if you spot any needed corrections to the record (misspelled names, scoring in a game, etc.)

I'd like to offer thanks and acknowledgement to my staff:
Jon Beagley (Valparaiso,) Bryan Berend, Billy Busse, Ritu Dave (Centennial High School,) Paul Drube (Valparaiso,) Alex Dzurick (Illinois,) Alex Fregeau (Illinois,) Jonah Greenthal, Brett Hancock (CHS,) Alex Jacob, Ike Jose, Aubrey Laskowski (Illinois,) Austin Listerud (Illinois,) Cindy Long, Danielle Long, Brandon Lunt (Illinois,) Victor Niu (Illinois,) Sean Phillips (WUStL,) Phillip Shih (Illinois,) Isaac Soloveychik (CHS,) Andy Sun (Illinois,) Donald Taylor, Alison Tomchik, Andrew Wang (Illinois,) and Richard Yu (WUStL.)
If this tournament ran well, and I think it did, these are the people to thank.

While everyone did a ton of excellent work, these staffers are due special commendation:
Alison Tomchik and Andy Sun - HQ help
Andrew Wang - Facilities and registration

Thanks again everyone, congratulations to Chicago A & C, and good luck at ICT!
Mike Sorice