MUT @ UChicago (Sunday 5/10/15)

Old college threads.
Judson Laipply
Rikku

MUT @ UChicago (Sunday 5/10/15)

Post by Judson Laipply »

The University of Chicago is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament(MUT) on Sunday May 10, 2015.

The tournament will be held at Cobb Hall, 5811 S. Ellis Ave. We currently have enough rooms for 8 teams, but we will seek more rooms if interest warrants it.

Base fee: $100
Buzzer discount: -$5
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way as determined by Google Maps
Minimum fee: $35

From the MUT announcment thread:
MUT Announcement Thread wrote: Eligibility: Only undergraduate and high school students can play this tournament. If you are a grad student, you may not play. To clarify a minor issue from last year, "undergraduate" in this case does not follow the traditional ACF definition--fifth-year (or greater) undergraduates with no bachelor's-level degree are still eligible to play.

Difficulty: Ideally, MUT 2015 will look a lot like MUT 2014, which I think did a good job hitting my difficulty goals. The tournament should sit at a level harder than ACF Fall, especially in the early clues and hard bonus parts, but on the easier side of "regular difficulty".

Distribution:
4/4 Literature (1/1 each American, British, European, and world/ancient/other)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 1/1 Euro, 1/1 world, 1/1 British/ancient/more Euro)
4/4 Science (1/1 each biology, chemistry, physics, and other)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 each painting and music, 1 other auditory, 1 other visual)
2/2 Religion/Mythology (1/1 each)
1/1 Philosophy/Geography (11/10 or 10/11 philosophy and 3/4 or 4/3 geography questions over 14 packets)
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Pop Culture/Other
Registration: Teams must register by emailing me at [email protected]. Please include in the subject line "MUT Registration" and include in the email the number of teams and buzzers you are bringing, any travel discounts you are claiming, and a cell phone number so we can contact you the morning of the tournament if necessary.

Payment: You may pay either in cash or by check made out to James Lasker. Payment must be made by the start of the tournament to avoid a late fee.

Current Field(CLOSED)(6 Teams)

House Teams (3)
Northwestern(1)
Dimmsdale HS(1)(1 buzzer)
Illinois(1) (1 buzzer)
Last edited by Judson Laipply on Fri May 08, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 9 times in total.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: MUT @ UChicago (Sunday 5/10/15)

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Illinois will probably bring a team
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Hey, it's 2 days before the tournament and we haven't really gotten any logistics. I know it's pretty much when to get there and what room but can someone please tell me? thanks.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Registration is now closed.

We would like to put out an open call for people in the Chicago area who can read questions this Sunday. You will be compensated well with Giordano's pizza. If we cannot conjure one more reader, we will need one person from the bye team to read each round.

Also we are adding a $20 moderator discount for any of the registered teams if they would like to drag along a Grad Student/Parent/Hobo who is capable of reading and scorekeeping for a round of MUT in 30-35 minutes. Please email me if you want to bring a moderator.

Logistical email to follow to registered teams.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Email has been sent. If you are registered and did not receive an email, please let me know.

Since my last posts there have been two important changes.

1. A team has dropped so there is no longer a bye.

2. We have had a reader volunteer (thanks to Adam Fine from the U Chicago Lab School), so there is no longer a need for teams to bring readers.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Chicago A and Illinois both ended the Prelims at 8-2 and played a one game final which Illinois won.

Congratulations to Illinois and thanks to all of the teams for playing and to Chris, Adam, and Jinah from Penn who helped to run the tournament.

Stats will be up as soon as I find the finals scoresheet.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Stats are up here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

Thanks again to everyone who helped out with this tournament and to all the teams who competed.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20