Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: ACF Nationals - Ann Arbor, MI, 04/18-19/2015 - main thre

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

merv1618 wrote:Just wondering how Maryland was UG at ICT but not at ACF
NAQT and ACF have different regulations for undergraduate status.
The ACF Rules wrote:11. For collegiate tournaments which recognize high-finishing teams and/or individuals of “undergraduate” status, an “undergraduate” player is a player who did not receive a BA or equivalent or higher degree prior to the academic year in which the tournament is taking place, and meets EITHER or BOTH of the following conditions:

11.1. The player graduated from high school in an academic year four or fewer years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place

11.2. The player did not participate in any collegiate or open academic quizbowl tournaments before the fall semester of the academic year three years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place
The NAQT Rules wrote:Students qualify to play in Division I Undergraduate if they meet both of these requirements:

They do not possess a degree at the Bachelor’s level or higher from any post-secondary educational institution.
They have not completed their fourth distinct academic year of competition in NAQT collegiate championship events (that is, SCTs and ICTs).
Dan Puma meets NAQT's definition but not ACF's, so Maryland is not considered an undergraduate team for ACF purposes.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The top bracket is currently displaying third in the playoff stats; that's something we'll have to fix after the tournament. Similarly, Weddings and a Funeral should be the last bracket.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

In full, the order of the playoff brackets is: (12) Monkeys; (8) Crazy Nights; (8) Days a Week; (8) Heads...; (8) Legged Freaks; (4) Weddings...

It's probably easiest for now to just label each bracket with the place they're shooting for, i.e. "Monkeys (1st place)", "Crazy Nights (13th place)" etc.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

jonpin wrote:In full, the order of the playoff brackets is: (12) Monkeys; (8) Crazy Nights; (8) Days a Week; (8) Heads...; (8) Legged Freaks; (4) Weddings...

It's probably easiest for now to just label each bracket with the place they're shooting for, i.e. "Monkeys (1st place)", "Crazy Nights (13th place)" etc.
This shall be reflected in the next upload. We figured out what happened; the roster file had the teams alphabetically, which moved the brackets around to follow their teams. Fixing the display order will require reassigning pretty much all the teams, so look for that to happen most likely tomorrow.
Sam L,
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I hear that going into the last playoff round, Chicago, Maryland and Penn all have 1 loss and are the three teams still in contention for first place.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Northwestern defeated MIT B 195-130 in the D2 final, which will be entered in the stats as a Round 21 game.

Yale A beat Berkeley A 225-175 for a spot in the UG third place game. That game will appear as a Round 20 game, and the UG third place game will appear as a Round 21 game.

We've caught the UVA-Chicago typo and it will be fixed at next upload.
Sam L,
PACE
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

A one-game overall final between Penn A and Chicago A will take place in Angell Auditorium A at 1 PM.

Stanford B has the advantage in a UG final against Illinois starting now.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Matthew J wrote:A one-game overall final between Penn A and Chicago A will take place in Angell Auditorium A at 1 PM.

Stanford B has the advantage in a UG final against Illinois starting now.
The UG Final Series will appear in the stats as Round 23 and 25 because of the packets being used. Illinois A won the first game 305-150.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Stanford B won the second game of the Undergrad final 180-110 over Illinois. The one-game overall final between Penn A and Chicago A has begun. I'll upload those in the playoff stats file before I leave; combined stats may end up waiting until tomorrow after our long drive back to VA.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The following teams will take home trophies this year:

Overall
1 - Penn A
2 - Chicago A
3 - Maryland

Undergrad
1 - Stanford B
2 - Illinois
3 - Yale

DII
1 - Northwestern
2 - MIT B

Congratulations to all!
Sam L,
PACE
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Awesome tournament! On behalf of McMaster Quizbowl, I'd like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who ran and staffed this tournament and made it run so smoothly. The packets were fun, the organization was solid (from what we saw), and you even ensured that it was a beautiful weekend for some good Quizbowl.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Senator_Jay wrote:Awesome tournament! On behalf of McMaster Quizbowl, I'd like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who ran and staffed this tournament and made it run so smoothly. The packets were fun, the organization was solid (from what we saw), and you even ensured that it was a beautiful weekend for some good Quizbowl.
Jon Pinyan is a goddamn wizard who controls the weather.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

grapesmoker wrote:
Senator_Jay wrote:Awesome tournament! On behalf of McMaster Quizbowl, I'd like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who ran and staffed this tournament and made it run so smoothly. The packets were fun, the organization was solid (from what we saw), and you even ensured that it was a beautiful weekend for some good Quizbowl.
Jon Pinyan is a goddamn wizard who controls the weather.
From hundreds of miles away, no less.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Audio recordings of the games can be found here: http://doc-ent.com/qbc/ACFNationals2015/
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Mike Bentley wrote:Audio recordings of the games can be found here: http://doc-ent.com/qbc/ACFNationals2015/
I will also have video recordings of a number of matches later this week. Specifically, I have recordings of all Sunday matches played in Ryan's room and, I think, two Saturday matches from somewhere. I also have video of the awards ceremony.

With regard to video, I ask once again that you let me know if you would like not to have video of you on the internet. I want to respect everyone's privacy on this matter, so please do let me know at [email protected] if you want to have those parts edited out. The video really only contains the teams and people who received the awards and the people who handed them out.
Jerry Vinokurov
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

So, stats. There are five reports: prelims before and after tiebreakers, playoffs before and after final series (overall, UG, UG 3rd, and D2), and all the games in one glob. Everything should be ordered properly now, and maybe polished a little bit (but not too much).

I'm relying on people's inherent vanity to find errors in their own stats, because I'm not going to go looking for them. I'll be able to crosscheck with the scoresheets until the start of next week, when they'll wend their way to Jerry's hands.
Andrew Feist
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

tabstop wrote:So, stats. There are five reports: prelims before and after tiebreakers, playoffs before and after final series (overall, UG, UG 3rd, and D2), and all the games in one glob. Everything should be ordered properly now, and maybe polished a little bit (but not too much).

I'm relying on people's inherent vanity to find errors in their own stats, because I'm not going to go looking for them. I'll be able to crosscheck with the scoresheets until the start of next week, when they'll wend their way to Jerry's hands.
One thing that was noticed last night was in UCF's game against UCLA, it shows UCF getting 11 tossups with 0 bonus points which seems unlikely.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

MLafer wrote:
tabstop wrote:So, stats. There are five reports: prelims before and after tiebreakers, playoffs before and after final series (overall, UG, UG 3rd, and D2), and all the games in one glob. Everything should be ordered properly now, and maybe polished a little bit (but not too much).

One thing that was noticed last night was in UCF's game against UCLA, it shows UCF getting 11 tossups with 0 bonus points which seems unlikely.
And not only UCLA scoring 0 points, but fielding 0 players:
UCF (UG) 110, UCLA (UG) 0
UCF (UG): McKinnie Sizemore (Sr) 5 0 50, Cody Johansen (So) 1 0 10, Casey Bindas (Sr) 4 0 40, Peter Torres (Fr) 1 0 10
UCLA (UG):
Bonuses: UCF (UG) 11 0 0.00, UCLA (UG) 0 0 0.00
It's a round 17 game.
Jon Pinyan

Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

That's actually not a stats error--UCLA was just late on Sunday
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

There's an error in Virginia v. Columbia. It records them as having answered 21 tossups correctly.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
CaseyB
Wakka

Post by CaseyB »

MLafer wrote:
We definitely got some bonus points in that game. I seem to remember the scorekeeper saying the final score was 210-0.
Casey Bindas
PACE VP of Event Management
Michigan Tech 2016-18
VCU 2015-16
UCF 2011-15
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

CaseyB wrote:
MLafer wrote:
We definitely got some bonus points in that game. I seem to remember the scorekeeper saying the final score was 210-0.
That's what line 20 of the scoresheet says. (It's not what the final score box says, but in this case I'm happy to go with line 20 instead.)
Mewto55555 wrote:There's an error in Virginia v. Columbia. It records them as having answered 21 tossups correctly.
I've got this changed in my copy, which will find its way to the web at some point in the near future.

Keep sending in errors as you find them.
Andrew Feist
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Hey everyone,

I'll be reading the unheard-by-everyone-but-Stanford-B-and-UIUC Finals 2 packet on the IRC at 8:30 pm Central tomorrow night. Come to #quizbowl; I'll announce the room we'll actually be reading in there.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Hey everyone,

I'll be reading the unheard-by-everyone-but-Stanford-B-and-UIUC Finals 2 packet on the IRC at 8:30 pm Central tomorrow night. Come to #quizbowl; I'll announce the room we'll actually be reading in there.
This is happening tonight, Wednesday, right? (It's kind of vague since you posted at 1 AM)
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Mnemosyne wrote:
Auks Ran Ova wrote:Hey everyone,

This is happening tonight, Wednesday, right? (It's kind of vague since you posted at 1 AM)
Yes, that's correct. Sorry, should've clarified!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm now in the process of transcoding and uploading various match videos to YouTube. It'll probably take a few days to do all of them, but watch this post for links to the videos, which will also be linked to (eventually) from the ACF website.
Last edited by grapesmoker on Mon May 11, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Vinokurov
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Keep 'em coming, Jerry
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Keep 'em coming, Jerry
Sorry, I got derailed by another thing. I should have a few more up today and tomorrow.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Three more videos up. Probably another 3 to go, it looks like. Hopefully tomorrow.
Jerry Vinokurov
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Virginia vs Columbia has 21 tossups played in the stats.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Virginia vs Columbia has 21 tossups played in the stats.
It's correct in the overall, but not in the playoffs, so I will get that fixed in the near future.
Andrew Feist
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Almost thereeeeeeeeee
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
Almost thereeeeeeeeee
Stay on target
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

merv1618 wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
Almost thereeeeeeeeee
Stay on target
Finals and awards up.
Jerry Vinokurov
Nabonidus
Wakka

Post by Nabonidus »

I'd like to thank my perfidious teammate Joe for going out of his way to snitch on my grad status and ensure I wouldn't receive any form of undue recognition
Derek So
McGill
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

There are still more videos left, right?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Yes please post anything you have left!
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Sorry if I missed a post about this, but will the packets be posted online soon?
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'll double check and see if there's anything left. I was under the impression that I had gone through all of them.
Jerry Vinokurov