2015 NAQT ICT: March 28, Atlanta

Old college threads.
bg0296
Lulu

Re: 2015 NAQT ICT: March 28, Atlanta

Post by bg0296 »

jonah wrote:
bg0296 wrote:I will be attending as a spectator. Does anyone know of a match schedule so that I can know which teams are playing when, or will that be provided at the hotel?
I'll post the schedules once team check-in begins on Friday. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if I forget (entirely possible).
Thank you.
Brad Gandy
Tellico Plains High School (Tellico Plains, TN), Class of 2014
Hiwassee College (Madisonville, TN), Class of 2016
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Schedules for Division I and Division II are now posted.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

2015 ICT format document

The only significant change from the format used in 2014 is that third-place tiebreakers will now use full packets rather than half packets, where possible.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

I greatly approve of the bracket names.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Susan

Post by Susan »

Mewto55555 wrote:I greatly approve of the bracket names.
I see the yellow, but where are the pigs?
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

A little bracketology, keeping in mind that with DII and absent players, the rankings don't fully match the seedings:

AHLFORS BRACKET
#2 Penn
#7 UCSD
#10 Yale
#14 Illinois
#20 Northwestern
Also: Maryland B, Ottawa, Central Florida. Central Florida and Ottawa have never been ranked (Ottawa was #28 in the midseason poll, Maryland B started the season at #23 but has since dropped out).

A dangerous bracket, with four top fifteen teams (only Spivak can make that claim, and like Spivak, it has three top ten teams as well). I would rank its "also-rans" a tick below Spivak's, but voters have been occasionally bullish on Maryland B and Ottawa. While the top two seeds seem strong, one could anticipate some pushes from the next three up.

CONWAY BRACKET
#1 Virginia
#7 MIT
#14 Georgia Tech
#17 North Carolina
#18 Berkeley
Also: Chicago B, Western Kentucky, Waterloo. Waterloo and Western Kentucky have never been ranked (WKU got a smattering of votes in the preseason poll). Chicago B was as high as #22, dropped to #25, and was #26 in the most recent poll. Along with Oxford, they were ranked the highest of teams out of the top 25.

An interesting bracket; if one accepts the fact that Chicago B is really a "proto-top 25" team, this is one of the deepest brackets, with six top 25 teams (that said, Chicago B's votes presumably also recognized its strong DII squad). As befits what is presumably the overall #1 seed, it's a bit top heavy bracket; only two top ten teams and only one top five team appear here. At least according to seedings, the top two teams here are clear, but it could get VERY interesting, with paper thin margins separating the next three teams in the rankings.

RUDIN BRACKET
#5 Maryland A
#6 Michigan
#12 WUSTL
#16 Minnesota
#21 NYU
Also: Carleton U, New Mexico State, and Vanderbilt. None of these teams have ever been ranked or even received votes (perhaps the Carleton that got votes in the preseason poll was Carleton U as opposed to Carleton College, it was unclear).

On paper, this is the "weakest" bracket with only two top ten teams and none from the top four, and the least acclaimed of the three "also-rans." According to the voters' admittedly razor-thin voting, Stanford should probably have been bumped up to a #1 seed. However, we also might label this bracket the "rising star" bracket, as it features a surging, new to the ballot NYU squad. Furthermore, New Mexico State and Vanderbilt's enigmatic natures could perhaps propel them to upsets. This is also I would argue a highly competitive bracket among the top three teams, although voters clearly distinguished a large gap between #5 and #6. Minnesota is missing a key player who is in DII.

SPIVAK BRACKET
#3 Chicago A
#4 Stanford
#9 Harvard
#11 Columbia
#23 William and Mary
Also: McGill, Texas A&M, and Arizona State. Both McGill and Texas A&M have received votes every poll, but have never been ranked. Arizona State has not received votes.

A fairly clear tiered bracket, in my opinion; from what I understand, the two Ivy Leagues have some personnel issues that may prevent them from marking upsets. On paper, it has four top fifteen teams, plus two consistently well respected teams from outside the top 25, but we'll see if the potential for chaos is there.

Each bracket has five ranked teams and three non ranked teams.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Great write-up, Mike.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Given the flavor of the names, I'm presuming, contrary to popular belief, that the Conway bracket is named for noted complex analysis textbook author John B. Conway and not Game of Life creator John H. Conway. I don't think John H. Conway has ever written an analysis text. If I ruined some side bet NAQT folks were having regarding this, I apologize.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Ununtiable Twine wrote:Given the flavor of the names, I'm presuming, contrary to popular belief, that the Conway bracket is named for noted complex analysis textbook author John B. Conway and not Game of Life creator John H. Conway. I don't think John H. Conway has ever written an analysis text. If I ruined some side bet NAQT folks were having regarding this, I apologize.
You are correct, and the only thing you ruined was my plan to name next year's brackets after ambiguous mathematician names.
Jonah Greenthal
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

NAQT is doing live stats.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Important Bird Area

Congratulations to the University of Virginia, who defended their Division I ICT title by defeating Penn 385-345 in the second game of an advantaged final. Chicago A took third. Maryland A defeated Yale 385-260 to claim the Undergraduate championship.

In Division II, the University of Texas defeated Chicago 355-350 in the first game of an advantaged final to win the championship. Stanford finished in third place.

Complete team and individual statistics are available here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Please note that the ICT is not yet clear for public discussion, as we have a number of late-season high school tournaments using the Division II ICT set. For question-specific discussion of this year's ICT, please select "2015 ICT discussion" from your user control panel to gain access to the private forum.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Were any recordings made of games from this year? I wasn't there, but I'd be very interested in listening to the set, especially the finals games.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Were any recordings made of games from this year? I wasn't there, but I'd be very interested in listening to the set, especially the finals games.
I recorded a few preliminary games in Division II, but I don't think they came out. I am not aware of any other recordings.
Jonah Greenthal
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

jonah wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Were any recordings made of games from this year? I wasn't there, but I'd be very interested in listening to the set, especially the finals games.
I recorded a few preliminary games in Division II, but I don't think they came out. I am not aware of any other recordings.
What do the players' microphones during the ICT final match do, then? They don't actually carry sound into the audience, from what I can tell.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Matthew J wrote:
jonah wrote:
What do the players' microphones during the ICT final match do, then? They don't actually carry sound into the audience, from what I can tell.
They were supposed to, but I didn't crank them up very high because I was getting feedback when I did, and for the most part the players didn't really make an effort to speak into them.
Jonah Greenthal
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

That's really unfortunate. I would have asked someone to make an iphone recording if I knew we weren't being recorded by the mic's.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

I recorded part of the first match of the finals on Corry Wang's phone.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Important Bird Area

2015 ICT photos are now available. (Please feel free to tag yourselves.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:(Please feel free to tag yourselves.)
There doesn't seem to be any way to do that, short of leaving a comment with someone's name in it?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Charbroil wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any way to do that, short of leaving a comment with someone's name in it?
I think this is fixed now; sorry about that.
Jonah Greenthal
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

jonah wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
Still no.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Charbroil wrote:
jonah wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
Still no.
Then I have no idea. Message or email me with links to photos you want tagged and whom to tag, I guess.
Attachments
allow-others-to-tag.PNG
(4.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Jonah Greenthal
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

jonah wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
jonah wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
Still no.
Then I have no idea. Message or email me with links to photos you want tagged and whom to tag, I guess.
It works now; sorry for the confusion!
Charles Hang