Gautam's Non-Bio/Chem questions

Old college threads.
Gautam
Auron

Gautam's Non-Bio/Chem questions

Post by Gautam »

Now that the finals packets have been read...

I wrote a packets worth of questions outside of Bio/Chem for this tournament. I would love your thoughts on how they went.

Finals 2: Tossups on Cities and Wealth of Nations, Naum Gabo. Bonuses on Joseph Beuys, BOnferroni, Alta California, Hua Guofeng, British East India Company, Bubbles, That bonus on wine.
Finals 1: Tossups on Max Beckmann, Henry Kaiser, and Cinema Paradiso. Bonuses on ah-ah-Mr. Wiiiiiilson, Fulda Gap, Upanayana, aquatint, Plutarco Calles, Basques in the US, Irish Plantations, Yasumasa Morimura(Andrew wrote the 3rd part of Morimura because of repeats)
Editors packet: Tossup on Rama and his brothers. Bonuses on LA area museums, databases, intertemporal Euler equation, Cholera, Afghan Cameleers/Australia stuff.
Ohioans packet: Tossup on Lingams
Weiner packet: Tossup on Paul Revere (Andrew fixed up the leadins to this) and bonus on ICD.
Alston et al (I think): Bonus on Poussin
Lafer et al: Tossup on Fugger, tossup on Adams Clayton Powell
Magin packet: Tossup on India
Cheyne packet: bonus on invented traditions/scottish things.
Gehring packet: Bonus on Tolouse Lautrec/La Goulue/
Bentley packet: Tossup on porosity, that infamous tossup on adiabatic theorem whose first half Austin fixed up a lot
Mukherjee packet: Tossup on Oman. Bonus on Flinders Petrie.
Sorice packet. Bonus on yield curves.

EDIT: Forgot Cinema Paradiso!
Last edited by Gautam on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Re: Gautam's Non-Bio/Chem questions

Post by gyre and gimble »

Gautam, I am a big fan of your visual arts choices, and suspect you might enjoy my arts tournament (ETA next year). The Poussin bonus could have been a little harder and the Beuys bonus part could have described some of his works. His display cabinets of random objects, his work with felt/fat, and his performances are all fun stuff that identify him better than his "everybody is an artist" thing. Also, contrary to what Wikipedia's page on Fluxus seems to imply, Buchloh has led me to understand that Beuys was a rather peripheral member of Fluxus (membership was a rather weird thing anyway, and you could argue that it was a one-man Maciunas project or equally argue that it included all the people Maciunas wanted to include). I liked the bonus anyway, but just wanted to state my personal view on how quizbowl should use contemporary art labels.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Gautam
Auron

Re: Gautam's Non-Bio/Chem questions

Post by Gautam »

gyre and gimble wrote:Gautam, I am a big fan of your visual arts choices, and suspect you might enjoy my arts tournament (ETA next year). The Poussin bonus could have been a little harder and the Beuys bonus part could have described some of his works. His display cabinets of random objects, his work with felt/fat, and his performances are all fun stuff that identify him better than his "everybody is an artist" thing. Also, contrary to what Wikipedia's page on Fluxus seems to imply, Buchloh has led me to understand that Beuys was a rather peripheral member of Fluxus (membership was a rather weird thing anyway, and you could argue that it was a one-man Maciunas project or equally argue that it included all the people Maciunas wanted to include). I liked the bonus anyway, but just wanted to state my personal view on how quizbowl should use contemporary art labels.
Thanks Stephen.

Re: Beuys - I think I sourced most of the stuff for the Beuys TU from the Walker Art Center's essays on Beuys. Links below. They mentioned fluxus a bunch of places, so I figured that was a valuable clue. Of course, my browsing history indicates I went to Wikipedia, too, so I might have ended up falling pray to confirmation bias...

http://www.walkerart.org/archive/4/9C43 ... F36167.htm
http://www.walkerart.org/archive/F/9C43 ... A36167.htm
http://www.walkerart.org/archive/5/9D43 ... C46167.htm

I agree with the point re: 'membership' though. Most of the art I've written in the past has been on pre-20th century stuff, where 'membership' was not super fluid. Definitely a good thing to remember; thanks for the tip.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.