Moon Pie Classic open mirror of NAQT HS NCT at UTC 7/26/2014

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Moon Pie Classic open mirror of NAQT HS NCT at UTC 7/26/2014

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

UTC will host its annual open mirror of the NAQT High School National Championship on Saturday, July 26. We are renaming it the Moon Pie Classic to revive that tradition.

Registration will begin at 9 AM on the UTC campus – meeting in either Grote 129 or Holt 124, we will confirm which at a later date – and we will aim for a 10 AM start time for the tournament. Registration fee will be $50 per team.

Obviously, anyone who attended the actual HS NCT will be ineligible to play, but we would love to have you come help officiate. With that one exception, the tournament is open to anyone who wishes to play, regardless of school status (or lack thereof.)

At present there are no plans for a trash tournament or other complementary event, but we are open to suggestion and have tentatively reserved rooms for Sunday 7/27 just in case.

To register, or for other questions, please contact [email protected] *and* copy me at [email protected]. Thanks.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Re: Moon Pie Classic open mirror of NAQT HS NCT at UTC 7/26/

Here's a field update for this Saturday's open tournament at UTC. We expect five to seven teams:

Seth Kendall
UT alums (Guthrie/Messer et al.)
Central Alabama 1-2 teams (Adam Pinson et al.)
Bevill State alums (Bobo et al.)
Weinstein/Slade/Tinkey
Pearson et al.

There are several free agents planning to attend as well, so I expect we won't know the final field until just before we print schedules. To correct the above or join the fray, please e-mail us at [email protected].

Also, Dren Rollins and Robin Richards are running a side trash event on Sunday. If you are interested, e-mail Robin Richards at [email protected] and please copy us at [email protected].
-- Charlie Steinhice

-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

RESULTS: Moon Pie Classic mirror of NAQT HS NCT at UTC 7/26/

Congratulations to the winners of UT-Chattanooga's annual open mirror of the NAQT HS NCT, which for 2014 was retitled the Moon Pie Classic, The team that won, consisting of Glenn Allen Bobo, Adam Pinson, Shannon Brunner, and Jim Sanford, also had one of the most memorable team names in all of trash history:

I Heard a Fly Buzz… The bastard! He just beat me to it. No, I knew it after three words, but sat on it. Then just as I buzzed, he just beat me. You know how I knew that? Well…

We had an unexpectedly large field of 11 teams. Finishing second in a narrow 20-point loss were former champions Carol Guthrie, Bronson Messer, Robert Trent, and Scotti Whitmire, playing as Scumbag College. Three teams tied for this: Tired, Old (Seth Kendall), Kind of Blew (Chuck Pearson, Mark Dawson, Jason Russell, Derek Hale), and New York/Philadelphia Wiffle Ball All-Stars (Stephen Taylor, Richard Dunlap, and Jacob Vannucci.)

Thanks first and foremost to NAQT for graciously allowing us to hold this event, now in its 12th year. Thanks to full-time moderators Anthony Bush and Chris Hendry, to part-time moderators Robin Richards and Jacob Vannucci, and to all those who helped with setup and or cleanup or agreed to officiate during their bye rounds.

Kendall was top scorer, Messer led the field in powers, and Taylor took the John Drennon Wiley Rollins Award for Outstanding Achievement in Buzzer Aggression (negs champ.) This time we actually caught the stats disk as it was trying to escape, so full stats can be found at:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
-- Charlie Steinhice

The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Re: Moon Pie Classic open mirror of NAQT HS NCT at UTC 7/26/

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

StatsDiskPr0xy, I think it's time for you to be a good little boy and wish Charlie farewell on the journey ahead.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired