MUT Mirror at Valencia College (Orlando--May 10, 2014)

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

MUT Mirror at Valencia College (Orlando--May 10, 2014)

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Valencia is going to host a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on Saturday, May 10. This tournament is open to any CC teams and to undergraduate players from four-year colleges and universities (and to anyone considered eligible by the official MUT announcement). Our field will mostly comprise CC teams, but of course we're happy to have undergraduate teams from any school.

Here's the fee schedule:
$120 base fee
-$20 for a staffer we use
-$10 for bringing a buzzer (up to two)
-$10 for second team and third team
Minimum fee for first team = $80, for second and third team = $70

Super-special premium deal: I will waive all registration fees for any out-of-Florida CC that attends. And I'll offer a flat rate of $50 for any non-Florida four-year team. Please direct any questions to me: cborglum at valenciacollege dot edu .

Field Updates:
Valencia (3)
CCF (Ocala): 2
SCF (Manatee): 2
UF: 2
UCF: 2-4
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Re: MUT Mirror at Valencia College (Orlando--May 10, 2014)

Post by bradleykirksey »

UCF will play. UCF will probably field 2 teams, but we might bring up to 4.

Edit: We will bring a buzzer set and at least staffer.
Last edited by bradleykirksey on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
willis1
Lulu

Post by willis1 »

U.F. is bringing two teams, and two buzzers.
Benjamin Willis
President University of Florida Quiz Bowl
[email protected]
(813)-562-3402
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Sweet! We'll see you there.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Congrats to the UCF Knights, who won this mirror outright by going 9-0. UF A was second at 8-1, Valencia Red third at 7-2. A fine time was had by all. Thanks to the editors and writers of the set. Someone will enable my unwillingness to learn how to upload stats by doing it for me soon.
Chris Borglum
Japanophilus Maximus
Lulu

Post by Japanophilus Maximus »

Great tournament. I got to play against several skilled players I haven't met before. University level quiz bowl is dejecting, exhilarating, and humbling, in that order.
Naimul Chowdhury
New College of Florida '17
State College of Florida - Manatee '15
Self-projected CCCT All-Star of 2015 [Actually accomplished!]
Japanophilus Maximus
Lulu

I hate to ask, but do the stats for this tournament get posted to a database? I wanted to see some of the UCF players' stats.
Naimul Chowdhury
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Japanophilus Maximus wrote:Great tournament. I got to play against several skilled players I haven't met before. University level quiz bowl is dejecting, exhilarating, and humbling, in that order.
Please let me know if you ever get to play against Adam Silverman. I'd love to watch that one.

And ya, thanks again to Chris for running it and all of the guys from Minnesota for writing it. It was a ton of fun.
Bradley Kirksey
Japanophilus Maximus
Lulu

I'd probably lose 18/20 tossups to the guy, power a trash question, and we'd drop the other one because he accidentally negged and we couldn't think of anything.

Then I'd put my energy towards getting better than him. Kinda like what I'm doing about your team. :wink:
Naimul Chowdhury
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hey, Naim!

Stan Young of Chipola is going to get the stats up for me, as his regularly doing so allows me to not learn how. Meantime, since you're the extraordinarily rare Florida CC player who actually looks at this board, I'm going to reward you by e-mailing the stats to you directly right now.

PS--Off topic of this thread, I'm going to tell you that, per your signature here, some of us readers were speculating about next year's teams, and there was consensus that you and Michael combining for SCFL next year makes you the front runners for best CC team in Florida, especially if both Cassandra and Will from my teams actually graduate before spring, as they plan to. Accept the pressure!
Chris Borglum
Japanophilus Maximus
Lulu

*furiously knocks on the nearest mahogany table*
Naimul Chowdhury
Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Tossup
Kimahri

Post by Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Tossup »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Hey, Naim!

Stan Young of Chipola is going to get the stats up for me, as his regularly doing so allows me to not learn how. Meantime, since you're the extraordinarily rare Florida CC player who actually looks at this board, I'm going to reward you by e-mailing the stats to you directly right now.

PS--Off topic of this thread, I'm going to tell you that, per your signature here, some of us readers were speculating about next year's teams, and there was consensus that you and Michael combining for SCFL next year makes you the front runners for best CC team in Florida, especially if both Cassandra and Will from my teams actually graduate before spring, as they plan to. Accept the pressure!
Pressure accepted! :)

Thank you very much for the stats, as well as hosting another fantastic tournament. Looking forward to the next one!
Michael Moore Jr.
President/Captain, State College of Florida - Manatee
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Does this mean Broward lost Greg and Noah? And on a much more relevant note, have they picked a 4 year school yet?
Bradley Kirksey
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I know this was Greg's second year, but you're right, I shouldn't assume that means that he isn't coming back for a third. Certainly he alone might make Broward a favorite, though they'd have to get some lit and fine arts on that team. I'm assuming Michael and Naim are going to work hard this summer, and I'm using that assumption when I shriek at my returning players in practice to WORK HARDER.

PS--I'm going to get those stats up today, one way or the other.
Chris Borglum
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Every time I see Cass between now and CCCT, I'll kick her in the shins. I know in theory she isn't going to play, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for Valencia.

And good. Thanks again for doing all of this, Chris.
Bradley Kirksey
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

I apologize for posting the stats so late. Chris sent them to me earlier this week and I forgot about them. Anyway, here they are. Enjoy! http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
Stan Young, Chipola College
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Not to twist the knife any deeper, but I knew Valencia had a frustrating tournament (both their losses came on the tie-breaker questions) but I never realized exactly how much better they were playing than everyone else.

Also the 4 teams with the highest PPB were in our bracket. I think it's safe to call that one the bracket of death lol.
Bradley Kirksey
Kimahri

Yeah, playing Greg is always a challenge; it will be very exciting if he returns next year. I recall hearing from someone at Broward that he was graduating and would not be back for next season, but I have no idea how accurate that is. Either way, there are a lot of good teams out there: Jacob Leff has been improving really quickly, and it seems like at every tournament there is a new face from Chipola that shows tons of potential. Even without Cassandra and Will, I know Valencia will be working hard and will be tough as always.

Regardless, your assumption is correct, we will be working hard and are happy to act as a source of inspiration for your summer-practice-shrieking!
Michael Moore Jr.
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

Jacob Leff has only played one year at Chipola, but unfortunately for us he will be attending Georgia Tech next year. We are losing our whole A team for the first time in a long time, so we have a lot of work to do.
Stan Young, Chipola College
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Personally, I was willing to bury Chipola after you lost the Kelsons finally, but you got back to ICT again, so I guess everyone knows not to count you out.

I guess this makes the first time since probably 2009 that the state of Florida CC quiz bowl is going to be up in the air. I'm looking forward to staffing those tournaments.
Bradley Kirksey
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Don't be part of that crowd that thinks that the Kelsons made Stan Young, Bradley--STAN YOUNG MADE THE KELSONS!!!! Or mostly, anyway--no coach can reasonably expect a player to put in the kind of work Dallin and Paul did on their own, but I'll also insist that they would've never had the desire and direction without Stan showing them the way.

And don't forget that Chipola has won Delta Burke for seven years in a row (goddammit), pre-dating the Kelson Era.

Hey! Next fall we'll actually be able to have a prediction thread for Florida CC QB, as some players are actually on this board now. But we can probably let that conversation wait till then.
Chris Borglum
Kimahri

sychipola wrote:Jacob Leff has only played one year at Chipola, but unfortunately for us he will be attending Georgia Tech next year. We are losing our whole A team for the first time in a long time, so we have a lot of work to do.
Oh wow, I had no idea; I'm sorry to hear that. Knowing you all, I'm sure you guys will figure out a way to still be one of the top CC teams.
Michael Moore Jr.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

I never meant to imply that Chipola wasn't good before the Kelsons. I knew they'd won several Delta Burkes before they came along. I didn't mean to slight Stan, but having played Dallin since high school, I can vouch that he was very good before he went to Chipola.

Like I said, this should be one of the most interesting CCCTs in a very long time.
Bradley Kirksey
5m0k3
Kimahri

Post by 5m0k3 »

bradleykirksey wrote:I never meant to imply that Chipola wasn't good before the Kelsons. I knew they'd won several Delta Burkes before they came along. I didn't mean to slight Stan, but having played Dallin since high school, I can vouch that he was very good before he went to Chipola.
Having been me since high school, I can vouch that I was very terrible before I went to Chipola. Stan Young developed a group of amateurs with very little quiz bowl experience into a team that lost only a handful of novice level matches during the season. Chipola is, of course, a very small college. All the counties the campus serves are rural, and there are few people interested in quiz bowl. Yet, he consistently has the ability to assemble a team of regular people and develop them into a quality team.

With that said, I concede that we (certainly me, the rest of the team could probably hold their own) would be soundly defeated by today's players. The quality of the competition today is incredible. That, too, is a result of the efforts of the top coaches in the circuit.
Brad
Chipola College 2007-2009