WIT at Harvard (3/9/13)

Old college threads.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

WIT at Harvard (3/9/13)

Post by gyre and gimble »

Hey folks,

Auroni approved us for a last-minute bid to host WIT for the Northeast. I've already emailed many of you, but the way we're doing this tournament is you only have to play the mirror fee to play but you are required to bring enough staffers to cover your own team. That means if you're bringing 1 team, you need 1 staffer. If you're bringing 2 teams, you still only need 1 staffer. If you're bringing 3 teams, that's 2 staffers, etc. Also, because most of you would not have known this tournament would happen until very recently, Auroni has generously waived any packet writing requirements for our site. (Dartmouth will receive an additional discount for having submitted one already.)

Anyway, you can find more information about the set at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13872.

Depending on the size of the field, we can be more flexible about things but for now plan on arriving by 8:30 at Sever Hall. The tournament fee will be $30/team. No additional discounts will be given for travel or buzzers, although if you can bring buzzers that couldn't hurt.

The tournament will be capped at some low number (~12). I don't expect the field to be that big anyway, but please don't hesitate to let me know if you would like to play. You can email me at 7h3.white.rabbit at Gmail.

Thanks,
Stephen

Field:
Dartmouth x1
Harvard x3
MIT x2
Last edited by gyre and gimble on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
t-bar
Tidus

Re: WIT at Harvard (3/9/13)

Post by t-bar »

gyre and gimble wrote:you only have to play the mirror fee to play
How much is this?
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

Brown is interested in attending.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Georgetown Day School 2012
Brown University 2016
gyre and gimble
Yuna

t-bar wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:you only have to play the mirror fee to play
How much is this?
$30. Post edited above.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

The tournament will take place in Sever Hall. I've edited the post above to indicate this. Dartmouth and Brown, please let me know how many teams you'll be bringing.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Chimango Caracara
Wakka

Post by Chimango Caracara »

We should just be bringing one team.
Nick Jensen
UC Davis Microbiology Graduate Group 2017-2022
Dartmouth College 2011-2015
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Here are the stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/.

Despite splitting games earlier, MIT A beat Harvard A handily in a one-game final. I thought the tournament was really exciting with a lot of balanced teams, with MIT A, Harvard A, Harvard B, Harvard C, and Dartmouth all within a game of each other going into the last round. Thanks to everyone for playing and I hope it was an enjoyable experience.

By the way, the second round entered for MIT A and Harvard A is the finals. I don't know why it popped up there.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

As mentioned, the teams were balanced and the games were well-fought and enjoyable, as was this tournament. Thanks to Harvard for hosting.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21