IFT Mirror at Oxford, 24/11/12

Old college threads.
Kyle
Auron

IFT Mirror at Oxford, 24/11/12

Post by Kyle »

The Oxford University Quiz Society is pleased to announce that it will host a mirror of the Illinois Fall Tournament at St John's College and Balliol College in Oxford on Saturday, November 24, 2012. This tournament is open to all current students who meet ACF eligibility requirements, though we want to make clear that the questions will be suitable for inexperienced players.

As always, registration for the tournament will take place in the Prestwich Room of St John's College beginning at 9:30am. Games will begin promptly at 10am. We expect to begin the championship game or games at about 6pm.

We currently have enough space to accommodate up to 14 teams. We're trying to get more rooms to be able to host more teams than that, though we will also be short on buzzers if more than 14 teams sign up.

To register, please email me at kyle.haddad-fonda [at] magd.ox.ac.uk telling me how many teams and how many buzzers you intend to bring.

The cost for this tournament is £30/team with a £5 discount for each working buzzer system you can provide.

If you have any questions about the tournament, please feel free to ask.

Current Field:

EDIT -- Nevermind, I have no idea what the field is any more.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
SmallerMegalomaniacalPandaOnAbsinthe
Lulu

Re: IFT Mirror at Oxford, 24/11/12

Post by SmallerMegalomaniacalPandaOnAbsinthe »

Oh man, so much excitement. Here I was thinking I wouldn't be able to play much quizbowl in England.
Will questions be briticised in the same manner as past tournaments?
Ketan Jha
Whitman '12
Sussex Law School '15
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

SmallerMegalomaniacalPandaOnAbsinthe wrote:Oh man, so much excitement. Here I was thinking I wouldn't be able to play much quizbowl in England.
Will questions be briticised in the same manner as past tournaments?
We have a real circuit. It's just kind of small.

Yes, they'll be Briticized.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

This didn't end up being Briticised.

Oxford's A team consisting of Alex Bubb, Zachary Vermeer, Simon Spiro and Kyle Haddad-Fonda went 9-0 to win the overall tournament. Both the Open University (Tris Cole and Hugh Bennett) and a solo John Lawrence went 7-2. Instead of a play off, John Lawrence and OU joined forces to take on Oxford in a one round exhibition final. This was won by the amalgamated team in an exhilarating match that was not decided until the final tossup.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Records for the top bracket:

Oxford Eliot 9-0
King's College, London 7-2
Open University 7-2
Oxford Suu Kyi 6-3
Manchester 5-4
Oxford Schrödinger 3-6

And the score of the final exhibition game, which was tied after 18 tossups, was 365 for the combined second-place teams over 285 for our team.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Stats:

Prelims: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Playoffs: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/

The final exhibition game resulted in a 365-285 win for the combined second-place teams over my team. John had a very good game, although the biggest problem was that they got 70 more points off the same number of bonuses. The individual scores for that game were:

John Lawrence 9 1 85
Tris Cole 1 0 10
Hugh Bennett 0 0 0

Kyle Haddad-Fonda 4 1 35
Alex Bubb 3 1 25
Simon Spiro 2 1 15
Zachary Vermeer 1 0 10
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13