2012 SCT individual question discussion

Old college threads.
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Re: talk about individual questions here

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Really?? I have a distinct memory of either Acadia or Mt. Desert Island getting tossed up during Fichte, and Seth Teitler looking over at me in surprise, but perhaps it was Ryan's thing and it was Marnold/Selene/Andrew. (BTW, I spent that entire tournament not knowing Andrew's name or who the hell he was. It was a little surreal.)
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Oh, that could be. I seem to recall there being a tossup on "Cadillac" in the Experiment.

Sorry for the digression.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Tees-Exe Line wrote:Really?? I have a distinct memory of either Acadia or Mt. Desert Island getting tossed up during Fichte, and Seth Teitler looking over at me in surprise, but perhaps it was Ryan's thing and it was Marnold/Selene/Andrew. (BTW, I spent that entire tournament not knowing Andrew's name or who the hell he was. It was a little surreal.)
It was Ryan's thing, I'm pretty sure, because I recall you being on my team (well, really Chicago A with me substituted for Seth, with predictable results) for it.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

I was definitely on your team. And the more I think about it, the more I think "Cadillac" was the answer line in that tournament and it was Marnold who was like "how the hell did you know that?"
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Brian Ulrich
Wakka

Post by Brian Ulrich »

On the mountain issue, I basically agree with Kyle, and can never get much of a mountain question going above level 3 where you need fewer clues. That said, in addition to sitting there, they also block rain and affect invasion routes.
Brian Ulrich
NAQT Current Events Editor, 2005-
University of Wisconsin 1999-2003
Quincy University 1995-1999
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

Brian Ulrich wrote:That said, in addition to sitting there, they also block rain and affect invasion routes.
Unless you're a super-badass like Hannibal.
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Brian Ulrich wrote:On the mountain issue, I basically agree with Kyle, and can never get much of a mountain question going above level 3 where you need fewer clues. That said, in addition to sitting there, they also block rain and affect invasion routes.
Mountain ranges can. If there is only one mountain, the armies and the clouds can both just go around. I object to tossups on mountain ranges, but not quite as strenuously as I object to tossups on mountains. Chris Chiego wrote a tossup on Colorado for the NSC last year that had most of its clues about mountain ranges, and in the end I think it turned out pretty well. It talked about mining and things like that.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

In the old, pre-enlightened despotism days, Mt. Vinokurov Proxy would probably have made an appearance.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can someone post the New Haven tossup?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

DI SCT round 7 wrote:In this city, promotion test scores were invalided because black firefighters fared poorly, leading to the 2009 Supreme Court case ~Ricci v. DeStefano~. The trial of the mutineers aboard the ~Amistad~ was held in 1839 in this city, which was the site of Bobby Seale's 1970 trial. The (*) Bulldogs play in "The Game" for a university in this city, which serves as the setting of ~Gilmore Girls~ and ~The Skulls~. For 10 points--name this coastal Connecticut city home to Yale University.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This is a really stupid thing to ask, but I was under the impression Gilmore Girls took place in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, not New Haven. Is that right? Sorry if this seems ridiculously nitpicky.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Cheynem wrote:This is a really stupid thing to ask, but I was under the impression Gilmore Girls took place in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, not New Haven. Is that right? Sorry if this seems ridiculously nitpicky.
It is sorta kinda both once Rory goes to Yale for college, as I recall. It's very misleading as stated and needs a qualifier since Stars Hollow is the primary setting for most of the series.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Apparently parts of Gilmore Girls took place in both settings.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Susan

Post by Susan »

Cheynem wrote:This is a really stupid thing to ask, but I was under the impression Gilmore Girls took place in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, not New Haven. Is that right? Sorry if this seems ridiculously nitpicky.
Yeah, while parts of Gilmore Girls take place in New Haven while Rory and Paris are at Yale, it doesn't seem accurate to say that it's the setting of the show itself.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I think that happened because of my excising of extended Gilmore Girls clues for other clues earlier in the tossup (which, in retrospect, some people found easier than I had anticipated). So I apologize for how this question turned out, because apparently Ricci is more famous than I thought and adding it came at the expense of factual precision.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum