Chemistry

Old college threads.
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Chemistry

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Only one question really bothered me, and that was the one in the VCU packet I think, where it said an aldehyde was a type of ketone. I'm pretty sure this isn't right. It was confusing enough that I didn't get it at the end of the question.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: Chemistry

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:Only one question really bothered me, and that was the one in the VCU packet I think, where it said an aldehyde was a type of ketone. I'm pretty sure this isn't right. It was confusing enough that I didn't get it at the end of the question.
An aldehyde is a ketone where one of the R groups is H, so no.

EDIT: To be fair, that's only one way of describing it--the aldehyde:ketone relationship could be said to be primary:secondary, rather than one of types, if you're at the moment mostly interested in the fact that the aldehyde is terminal. But it's hard to say that an aldehyde isn't a type of ketone.
Andrew Watkins
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:Only one question really bothered me, and that was the one in the VCU packet I think, where it said an aldehyde was a type of ketone. I'm pretty sure this isn't right. It was confusing enough that I didn't get it at the end of the question.

EDIT: To be fair, that's only one way of describing it--the aldehyde:ketone relationship could be said to be primary:secondary, rather than one of types, if you're at the moment mostly interested in the fact that the aldehyde is terminal. But it's hard to say that an aldehyde isn't a type of ketone.
Whether correct or not, I agree that it was confusing. I think my classes just said "ketone = bonded to two carbons, aldehyde = bonded to one carbon and a hydrogen." I won't claim to know the most technically correct definition, but I think the question would be more clear if it said "class of carbonyl compound with one R group being just hydrogen" or something along those lines.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:

I think how you describe it makes sense, but pretty much everything I read about aldehydes never said they were a type of ketone, so it made the question harder to answer. Also, what makes it confusing is the fact that usually when you learn about those groups they're both just listed under carbonyl and nothing else.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10