ACF Regionals at Brown, 2/26/11

Old college threads.
Sir Thopas
Auron

ACF Regionals at Brown, 2/26/11

Post by Sir Thopas »

Brown University in Providence, RI, will be hosting ACF Regionals THIS SATURDAY, February 26.

Ian can respond with where this tournament will be held; for now, assume that it's in Wilson Hall and that we'll start registration around 8:15, with the first round beginning at 9. It may end up being in Barus & Holley instead, which has a parking lot, so there.

Since this is an ACF tournament, all information about fees can be found here. The most relevant ones:
Base fee: $120 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per working set
Staffers: -$10 each
Packet fees and other discounts: as on the website

To register, drop me a line at guy UNDERSCORE tabachnick AT brown DOT edu. If you haven't written a packet, contact Rob at acfregs2011 AT gmail DOT com. You'll probably be able to play anyway at some fee or whatever.

Current field:
RPI (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Yale (3, 2)
Harvard (1, 0)
Last edited by Sir Thopas on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
ieppler
Rikku

Re: ACF Regionals at Brown, 2/26/11

Post by ieppler »

This tournament will be held in Barus and Holley. Unlike the usual Brown tournament location (Wilson Hall), which is located on the main green, Barus and Holley is located a few blocks from the main green, at the intersection of Hope and George streets. There is, in fact, a parking lot located in front of the building, but visitor parking is forbidden in that lot. There's no gate or anything, however, so you'll be able to park there if you're willing to risk the wrath of Brown parking enforcement. I've parked in a permit-only lot with no repercussions for most of a weekend, but your experience may differ. You may choose to park in the visitor parking lot, instead; it's also very conveniently located. Directions to it are here. From the Barus and Holley parking lot, the entrance is clearly visible. If you have any questions, e-mail Guy.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ieppler wrote:This tournament will be held in Barus and Holley. Unlike the usual Brown tournament location (Wilson Hall), which is located on the main green, Barus and Holley is located a few blocks from the main green, at the intersection of Hope and George streets. There is, in fact, a parking lot located in front of the building, but visitor parking is forbidden in that lot. There's no gate or anything, however, so you'll be able to park there if you're willing to risk the wrath of Brown parking enforcement. I've parked in a permit-only lot with no repercussions for most of a weekend, but your experience may differ. You may choose to park in the visitor parking lot, instead; it's also very conveniently located. Directions to it are here. From the Barus and Holley parking lot, the entrance is clearly visible. If you have any questions, e-mail Guy.
Unless things have changed in the short time that I've been gone, you can, in fact, park in the B&H lot on the weekends.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

grapesmoker wrote:
ieppler wrote:This tournament will be held in Barus and Holley. Unlike the usual Brown tournament location (Wilson Hall), which is located on the main green, Barus and Holley is located a few blocks from the main green, at the intersection of Hope and George streets. There is, in fact, a parking lot located in front of the building, but visitor parking is forbidden in that lot. There's no gate or anything, however, so you'll be able to park there if you're willing to risk the wrath of Brown parking enforcement. I've parked in a permit-only lot with no repercussions for most of a weekend, but your experience may differ. You may choose to park in the visitor parking lot, instead; it's also very conveniently located. Directions to it are here. From the Barus and Holley parking lot, the entrance is clearly visible. If you have any questions, e-mail Guy.
Unless things have changed in the short time that I've been gone, you can, in fact, park in the B&H lot on the weekends.
Yeah, I've left my car there from something like 6 PM Friday until Sunday without any trouble.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Just wanted to confirm that anyone interested in playing this tournament will be able to play; contact me to work things out if you're interested.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ieppler wrote:Staaaaaaaaaattttttttttssssssss:
http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
I like it when teams that are a short train ride away only manage to send a single person. I guess ACF Regionals is the new PARFAIT.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

grapesmoker wrote:
ieppler wrote:Staaaaaaaaaattttttttttssssssss:
http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
I like it when teams that are a short train ride away only manage to send a single person. I guess ACF Regionals is the new PARFAIT.
Thesis, man.
Andrew Watkins
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I've only briefly met him, but I really like this Stephen kid's attitude. Showing up to Chicago Open, then playing ACF Regionals solo when nobody else on his team can make it. Pretty solid.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

5 teams showed up to Regionals at Brown. We added a rotating house team to avoid byes and played a double round-robin. After 10 rounds, Yale A and RPI were tied at 9-1, so a one-game final was played. Yale won 315-190. Stats are available at the above link.
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I'll just say it ended up being a blessing in disguise that the host was announced so late that everyone but Stephen didn't want to go, because I'm not exaggerating when I say I don't know what we would of done without Andy's last minute help to edit half the chem and bio.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE