Eyes II Discussion

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Eyes II Discussion

Post by Mike Bentley »

All the mirrors are over. The set is posted at http://www.doc-ent.com/eyes2prere/EyesII_fixed.zip. It's like 500 MB. If anyone has any comments, feel free to post them here.

A few minor things regarding "writing" this tournament:
1. It was intentionally harder than the last one, for two reasons. First, I intended to mainly use it at Minnesota Open. Second, I didn't want to repeat myself all too much from last year, so some of the easier topics had already been used (the easy visual art canon is only so big).
2. Writing on art movements is hard in this format. For instance, that Fauvist tossup sucked because they have a very distinctive style--and furthermore, many artists participated in several movements and it's hard to specify which movement you want in a visual form (unless you use a super obvious image).
3. I felt the tossups on cities from last year was a little boring, so I had a bit less of them in this set. Furthermore, the few city tossups I did have didn't turn out as well as they should have (Philadelphia wasn't especially interesting and Istanbul was more fraudable than I would have liked).
4. Once again, I tried to include some non-Western stuff in the set (Mali, Moche, etc.) These were some of the more difficult tossups in the set. How did people feel about this? It's something that certainly is studied in academia, it's a bit weird to me that it doesn't come up more in regular quizbowl.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008