Terrapin Invitational Tournament (1/22/11) at Maryland

Old college threads.
mpellegrini
Lulu

Re: Terrapin Invitational Tournament (1/22/11) at Maryland

Post by mpellegrini »

Just thought I'd say that I had a good time at this tournament. It was a very competitive field, and the packets were well edited. (The only issues I had were that the first round had a bonus where the third answer was mentioned in the second question, and the Penn packet had an extremely dubious trash tossup). How did PERV go?
Mark Pellegrini
University of Delaware (2001-Present)
Charter School of Wilmington (1997-2001)
TheHumanPaperweight
Lulu

Post by TheHumanPaperweight »

mpellegrini wrote: How did PERV go?
Fantastically chaotic, with every working node on a knot buzzer plus one being in play, answers given ranged from brilliant to hilariously off the mark. In the end David outpaced Isaac for the victory, as reported in the PERV thread on the trash board.
--Steve Ours
GMU 2011 BS in Mathematics
Now wandering the mid-atlantic with little purpose
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Where do we discuss this set? I thought it was good overall, but there were some grammatical issues in some questions to the point where it seemed like whole phrases and sentences were missing, as well as one incorrect answer line that was flat out hilarious.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Where do we discuss this set? I thought it was good overall, but there were some grammatical issues in some questions to the point where it seemed like whole phrases and sentences were missing, as well as one incorrect answer line that was flat out hilarious.
SteveJon should be creating a discussion thread shortly, but I'd like to request that people once again do not choose to use the board discussion to point out obvious issues like "this thing was spelled incorrectly" or "oh man, this question asking for the author of A Tale of Two Cities actually had an answer line that said Oliver Twist, how silly!" About three questions had random portions lopped off by whoever was mixing the packet, which is obviously a frustrating issue (to me, the author of those questions, as much as anyone), but that's a fluky technical problem whose discussion is free of pedagogical value.

On the other hand, this tournament had a first-time chief editor and people working on lit, RMP, and SS for the first time at the collegiate level. I also made the first serious attempt at editing music in my career, with presumably comical results. There are a lot of things about this set whose discussion will be very useful to a number of people, but none of the things you're mentioning fall into that category.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
lazcisco
Lulu

Post by lazcisco »

Make sure you send us an invoice for how much we owe for the tournament and where to send the check to (you can email it to [email protected]), I'd feel bad having played and not actually paying for it.
Lenny Evans
North Carolina School of Science and Math '07
University of North Carolina '11
mpellegrini
Lulu

Post by mpellegrini »

lazcisco wrote:Make sure you send us an invoice for how much we owe for the tournament and where to send the check to (you can email it to [email protected]), I'd feel bad having played and not actually paying for it.
Ditto.
Mark Pellegrini
University of Delaware (2001-Present)
Charter School of Wilmington (1997-2001)