Are the 2006 HSNCT audio files too outdated to learn from?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ScienceFail
Lulu

Are the 2006 HSNCT audio files too outdated to learn from?

Post by ScienceFail »

Some tossups will of course be outdated since things have changed since then ,e.g., Tony Blair is no longer PM of Britain and Pluto is no longer a planet. But nonetheless most tossups are timeless right?

Opinions?
Mike Chen

Bergen County Academies '11
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Re: Are the 2006 HSNCT audio files too outdated to learn from?

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Current events are obviously not going to help you and of course things like Pluto not being a planet have to be considered. Other than that, you can pick up a great deal from listening to podcasts, in terms of various facts and a general idea of just "how good" tops high school teams really are.

Also, and this is no way meant to be backseat modding or anything like that, but I have been informed from several BCA people that there is no Mike Chen on the BCA team. In fact, there is no Mike Chen at BCA whatsoever. So, yeah.....just wondering what that is all about.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
millionwaves
Auron

Re: Are the 2006 HSNCT audio files too outdated to learn from?

Post by millionwaves »

Ondes Martenot wrote:Also, and this is no way meant to be backseat modding or anything like that, but I have been informed from several BCA people that there is no Mike Chen on the BCA team. In fact, there is no Mike Chen at BCA whatsoever. So, yeah.....just wondering what that is all about.
This definitely isn't backseat modding at all. I'm going to try to make a post in the near future, possibly in humorous one-act play form, about what is and isn't so that we can get the rules down for sure.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom