Kentucky HSAPQ All-star Team

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Kentucky HSAPQ All-star Team

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:
Huang wrote:
Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:Just out of curiosity, does the state championship have some sort of prize or prize money? Or is winning more of a bragging rights thing?
No prize money. Nothing really to "brag" about.
So people make it a big deal... just 'cause?
You get a giant trophy, the Governor is usually the leading presenter at the trophy ceremonies, and administrators (who provide funding) like to tout it. In my opinion (and probably the opinion of every other person in the state outside of a select few) winning the state championship is still a big deal.

Edit: This post by no means is saying Governor's Cup is perfect, but just acknowledges that it is definitely still important despite it's flaws.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Hilltopper22 wrote:You get a giant trophy
Eh, I don't care too much for "giant" trophies (the biggest ones aren't even that big).
the Governor is usually the leading presenter at the trophy ceremonies
Interestingly enough, Ernie Fletcher never showed up to a single awards ceremony but Steve Beshear has attended every single one while he's been in office. When I first attended state in middle school, Fletcher was governor and I left the awards ceremony that year kind disappointed he didn't show up (then he didn't show up again the next year). Looking at the current polls, it's doubtful Kentucky will elect another governor who shows up at Gov Cup stuff.
administrators (who provide funding) like to tout it
Hardly anyone at Dunbar is aware that we won it this year (or the three years before). It's not really that prestigious of an accomplishment. Sure, if you're taking the sample size of people who play Gov Cup, of course most of them are going to say it's a big deal. If you're taking the sample size of people who actually play real quizbowl, then I bet you would have a hard time finding anyone who takes it seriously.
Sandy
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Well I tend to think it still holds importance despite it's flaws, but that's just my opinion and I think you bring up some valid points for yours. I have tried to forget Ernie Fletcher's time in office (my mother goes into screaming fits of rage anytime I mention his name, although for other things he did as Governor) but you're right about him skipping out. I remember at least one of those years he sent his wife because he was still at the SEC Basketball Tournament that had ended the day before.

Back on topic though, I'd like to wish the tentative Team Kentucky luck at the NASAT. Depending on what I'm doing that weekend, I might make the drive down to Nashville to watch a few matches you all play.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

Who is on Kentucky's team?
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
Andrew from jc
Wakka