Repairing the reset button on the Judge

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matthew D
Yuna

Repairing the reset button on the Judge

Post by Matthew D »

Hey I know that some people hate the judge but I have a couple that are developing problems with the reset button and I was thinking of changing the button out for a different type like a toggle switch... has anyone on here done something like that and might be able to talk me through how to do it?
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Captain Sinico
Auron

Re: Repairing the reset button on the Judge

Post by Captain Sinico »

I haven't gotten around to taking ours apart yet, so I don't know much (and maybe wouldn't anyway, since ours doesn't have this problem) but I doubt it's very difficult to fix. Let me know if you find anything.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I will.. I have taken the actual housing for the reset button a part, and the button doesn't look that hard to change out but I am not totally sure what to switch the button out for because I honestly think if I had like a toggle or something like that it might do a bit better.. .
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Well I got the reset buttons replaced on both of my Judges. Radio Shack had the button that was a bit beefier than the original one that was on the Judge but they had cut a hole in the housing that was a bit wide for it, so I picked up some 7/16 washers from Home Depot to cover the bottom and the top of the hole and basically hold the button in place. Then a few quick solders and it is not working and there is really no way you can accidentally confuse the reset for the timer on my two buzzer sets. Mike, if you need to know what buttons I got just let me know and I will find the package and give you the numbers off it. I am hoping this will keep these two things working for a while longer..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Matthew D wrote:Radio Shack had the button
Radio Shack still exists?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Yes I know it is amazing but there are still at least three in my area I know of
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

We had a reset button failure the other day, but somehow just opening and reclosing the button console made it work again. Wonders never cease.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Ok I had that the first time something happened... you might want to check the wire that bridges the connection between the timer and the reset button... it might be loose..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Matthew D wrote:Ok I had that the first time something happened... you might want to check the wire that bridges the connection between the timer and the reset button... it might be loose..
Thanks. I think the button was just sticky and needed to be aired out, but I will check it again on Wednesday.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum