HSAPQ: Fall Tournaments Sets Available

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
millionwaves
Auron

HSAPQ: Fall Tournaments Sets Available

Post by millionwaves »

High School Academic Pyramid Questions, a new company which is producing question sets for licensed use at independent high school quizbowl tournaments, is pleased to announce that its first sets will be made available during the Fall 2008 semester.

The goal of HSAPQ is to provide questions of an accessible difficulty level and controlled length which still emphasize academic material in their content. All HSAPQ writers are current and former collegiate players who have demonstrated excellence in writing for high school quizbowl tournaments. HSAPQ is not affiliated with PACE, NAQT, or any other organization.

In the fall 2008 semester, HSAPQ will be producing two sets in the ACF format (twenty tossups with thirty-point bonuses), one set in the four-quarter format (ten tossups, ten tossups with bonuses, category round, ten tossups), and one set in a reduced NSC format (eight tossups with related twenty-point bonuses, six tossups with fifteen-point Category Quiz bonuses, eight tossups with thirty-point bonuses). Our philosophy is to offer questions in a range of existing formats, so that regions may choose the sets which work best for them, rather than to be constrained by a single format.

All of our packet sets are set up so that hosts may choose whether or not to use negative-fives and/or bouncebacks in accordance with the usual practice in their region.

The first ACF-format set will be available for use at tournaments held on or after September 6, 2008.

The four-quarter set will be available for use at tournaments held on or after October 1, 2008.

The NSC-format set will be available for use at tournaments held on or after October 15, 2008.

The second ACF-format set will be available for use at tournaments held on or after November 1, 2008.

On January 1, 2009, the above sets will no longer be offered for use at tournaments, and they will all be posted for free in electronic form on the HSAPQ website, which will launch soon.

All sets include 15 packets of questions. The cost to use an HSAPQ set is $18 per team in attendance at your tournament. We will track which teams have played which sets on our website. Otherwise, the proximity of tournaments using HSAPQ sets is to be determined by the tournament directors themselves.

A website, with sample packets, will be launching within the next week.

If you have further questions about HSAPQ, please contact Trygve Meade at [email protected] or (309) 224-2232. If you would like to order a set for your tournament, contact Billy Beyer at [email protected] .
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: HSAPQ: Fall Tournaments Sets Available

Post by AKKOLADE »

If you set up a mailing list or whatever, please put me on it.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

:: Applause :: Good luck, guys. :party:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

It would be most helpful if you could make a listing of tournaments that are using your sets (similar to NAQT's listing). I hope it goes well for you this year. We have already come to agreement for questions for our tournament this year. I am hopeful that we can play on some of your questions this year, so we can evaluate them for possible 2009-2010 use.

Thanks,
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I am planning on having a list of which tournaments are using which sets on the site when I get it live. That should just be a matter of me doing a bit of writing for the site and then getting it uploaded, hopefully some time today.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I will be taking over for Trygve Meade as the new Communications Officer of HSAPQ. Trygve is moving on due to other commitments and we wish him the best of luck and thank him for his work. All official communications about HSAPQ, our questions, and our policies should be directed to me. I can be reached at my email tedgioia @ starpower.net. The first tournaments using our questions will occur this weekend, and if you have any comments about the content of any individual questions or the general philosophy of the company please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Ted Gioia
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

It is January 2nd. Are the remaining sets going to be posted soon, or will they be used more next semester?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I think they're open for discussion, although I could be wrong.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

I believe that the sets that have not been posted yet may be used second semester so they are not cleared for discussion. Tryg, is this right?
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

cdcarter wrote:I believe that the sets that have not been posted yet may be used second semester so they are not cleared for discussion. Tryg, is this right?
I'm afraid you'll have to ask Ted for official word, but to my knowledge, that's the story.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

So that means HSAPQ set 1 is not cleared for discussion?
EDIT: clarification.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

The ACF-1 set will be posted online and cleared for discussion on January 11th after the Shady Side tournament on January 10th. The NSC-1 set is being used at several tournaments in February and will be immediately made available online and cleared for discussion after the conclusion of those tournaments.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

How many ACF-style sets are being produced in the Spring? And NSC-style?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Is the NSC-1 set cleared for view and/or discussion?
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Auron

This would be great as we never saw it, and would love to practice on it.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

The 4 quarter set will be posted this week and NSC-1 will be posted within the next few weeks. HSAPQ is sorry for any inconvenience the sporadic question posting schedule may have caused.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

When you say "will be posted" I am assuming you mean on HSAPQ right?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Auron

Magister Ludi wrote:The 4 quarter set will be posted this week and NSC-1 will be posted within the next few weeks. HSAPQ is sorry for any inconvenience the sporadic question posting schedule may have caused.
Okay, so... they weren't. Are they going to be? And has ACF#3 now cleared as well?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
Magister Ludi wrote:The 4 quarter set will be posted this week and NSC-1 will be posted within the next few weeks. HSAPQ is sorry for any inconvenience the sporadic question posting schedule may have caused.
Okay, so... they weren't. Are they going to be? And has ACF#3 now cleared as well?
We've now played our last "regular" tournament of the year and are preparing more heavily for Nationals, specifically NSC since that's first and we're a little more nervous about the format and how we'll do.

But alright, i'll use the magic word this time... please?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm proofreading NSC1 as I type this. As soon as that's done, it will be up.
Fred Morlan
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

NSC-1 is now available
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

ACF-3 is being used this Saturday at Minnesota, The 4 quarter set is being used next week in Texas, ACF-4 is being used next week at James Monroe, and NSC-2 is being used next week at Irvine. All of these sets will be posted respectively on the HSAPQ website when the tournament using each set is over.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Auron

Thanks! :grin:
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Diocletian
Lulu

Post by Diocletian »

The 4 quarter set is being used next week in Texas
Since it is not listed on the HSAPQ website, where is this tournament?
Thomas Littrell
LASA '11
Haverford '15
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

The Toad to Wigan Pier wrote:NSC-1 is now available
NSC-1 Round 12 Bonus 6 wrote:For bubble sort, it is n-squared, as for straight insertion. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this term for the estimate of the number of operations needed to perform a certain
algorithm.
ANSWER: order (or big O; or running time]
[10] The quicksort method often makes use of these two operations. One of them suspends operations
and moves to a new task; the other closes those operations and returns to the next highest level.
ANSWER: push and pop
I have no idea what is going on here.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Are they referring to the fact that quicksort operations are often recursive, and recursive procedure calls are usually kept on a stack?
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Are they referring to the fact that quicksort operations are often recursive, and recursive procedure calls are usually kept on a stack?
That's what it looks like. Bonus probably should have mentioned something about that, especially because there aren't many high schoolers using function pointers casually, so they'd need some more context.
Andrew Watkins
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Diocletian wrote:
The 4 quarter set is being used next week in Texas
Since it is not listed on the HSAPQ website, where is this tournament?
I've been informed that it is no longer taking place and that I should go ahead and post the 4Q set here
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

A brief comment on NSC-1: Pentacost (packet 9) is not the same thing as Shavuot, though it comes 50 days after Easter and Shavuot comes 49 days after Passover (which is notably really close to Easter). Shavuot celebrates Moses receiving the Torah on Mount Sinai and is unrelated to Pentacost in tradition and practice.

Other than that, the entire set stuck out as more difficult than regular HSAPQ fare, though that may be because of an inherent need to compensate for the 20-point stretch round powers and 15-point, one-part bonuses. I'm not really sure about the answers to some questions regarding the NSC format: About what percentage of teams should get the 15 points for a given category quiz bonus part? Can that percentage reliably be expected to convert Leni Riefenstahl or that guy who succeeded Bismarck at a regular-difficulty tournament? How many teams out of a given field should be powering stretch round tossups? If the intended number is small, should the tossups be harder throughout?

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong thread.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

RyuAqua wrote:A brief comment on NSC-1: Pentacost (packet 9) is not the same thing as Shavuot, though it comes 50 days after Easter and Shavuot comes 49 days after Passover (which is notably really close to Easter). Shavuot celebrates Moses receiving the Torah on Mount Sinai and is unrelated to Pentacost in tradition and practice.

Other than that, the entire set stuck out as more difficult than regular HSAPQ fare, though that may be because of an inherent need to compensate for the 20-point stretch round powers and 15-point, one-part bonuses. I'm not really sure about the answers to some questions regarding the NSC format: About what percentage of teams should get the 15 points for a given category quiz bonus part? Can that percentage reliably be expected to convert Leni Riefenstahl or that guy who succeeded Bismarck at a regular-difficulty tournament? How many teams out of a given field should be powering stretch round tossups? If the intended number is small, should the tossups be harder throughout?

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong thread.
I believe you overestimate the difficulty of Riefenstahl and Caprivi, but overall, this set does seem more difficult than the others.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

RyuAqua wrote:A brief comment on NSC-1: Pentacost (packet 9) is not the same thing as Shavuot, though it comes 50 days after Easter and Shavuot comes 49 days after Passover (which is notably really close to Easter). Shavuot celebrates Moses receiving the Torah on Mount Sinai and is unrelated to Pentacost in tradition and practice.
I've heard Shavuot referred to as Jewish Pentecost before.
EDIT: But I agree, the question makes it sound more like Shavuot and Pentecost are the same thing. It needs to be reworded.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

So, has the tournament that used ACF-3 finished?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Auron

packet 2, stretch phase, first bonus wrote:The narrator of this poem contrasts his own mortality with the immortality of the song of the titular
creature, which is described as a "light-winged Dryad of the trees." For 10 points each:
[10] Name this 1819 poem whose seventh stanza begins "Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird!"
ANSWER: "Ode to a Nightingale"
[10] The poems "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer" and "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" were written
by this English poet, who also wrote "Ode to a Nightingale."
ANSWER: John Keats
[10] Based on a work by Alain Chartier, this Keats poem details a knight who becomes enthralled with
the titular woman even though the “sedge has wither’d from the lake.”
ANSWER: “La Belle Dame sans Merci"
This is kind of a problem.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

ACF#3 is now ready
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

After our tournament I e-mailed about some errors in ACF-3, and they seem to still be there:
Packet 11, Tossup 17 wrote:17. The Laplace transform of this function is equal to s over the quantity s squared plus one. Its Taylor series expansion is represented by the sum as n goes from zero to infinity of negative one to the n times x to the two n over quantity two n factorial. The hyperbolic version of this function is equal to the quantity (*) e to the x minus e to the negative x, all over two. A generalization of the Pythagorean theorem is known as the “law of” this function. For 10 points, name this reciprocal of the secant function, a trigonometric function often represented as adjacent over hypotenuse.
ANSWER: cosine
The bolded part refers to the hyperbolic SINE. To make it cosine, it needs to be e^x PLUS e^(-x) all over 2.
Packet 12, Bonus 4c wrote:[10] Boltzmann’s constant is equal to the ideal gas constant divided by this other number, which is equal
to the number of atoms of carbon-12 in a gram of carbon-12.
ANSWER Avogadro’s number
This should be ...in 12 grams of carbon-12.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

ACF-4 now online
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

I knew there had to be a Marquez question!
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

ColJade wrote:I knew there had to be a Marquez question!
What does this mean? There was a tossup on him in an pre-ACF 3 set (I think) and bonuses in each of these two (again, I think), but that doesn't seem to be a high or low enough frequency to be worth noticing...
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Maybe it's just the fact that I had to read something by him in Spanish this summer, but it seems like he comes up at every tournament my team goes to (which, again, is only personal experience). He didn't come up in the rounds used by the tournament we went to, so I was surprised until seeing the set.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

These packets seem to be easier than the previous ACF -3
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

ColJade wrote:Maybe it's just the fact that I had to read something by him in Spanish this summer, but it seems like he comes up at every tournament my team goes to (which, again, is only personal experience). He didn't come up in the rounds used by the tournament we went to, so I was surprised until seeing the set.
I think some of this is that it is quite hard to write accessible "World Lit" at this level. One strategy used by a lot of people in filling this subcategory is to try to hit major Latin American authors that people might reasonably read in Spanish class. Accordingly, authors like Neruda and Garcia Marquez tend to show up a lot at the high school level, where the canon of askable African/Asian authors/works is much smaller.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

From Round 11 of ACF-3

Question 15:
15. This man exiled himself to Cilicia after being ordered to divorce Cornelia, the daughter of Lucius
Cinna. This man created an army to fight Mithridiates IV Eupator of Pontus. He attacked Gerovia and
was soundly repulsed and then besieged Alesia, where he defeated the rebellion of (*) Vercingetorix.
This decisive victor at Pharsalus also wrote a history of the Gallic Wars and destroyed his fellow triumvirs
Crassus and Pompey after crossing the Rubicon. For 10 points, name this Roman who claimed “Veni,
vedi, vici” and was murdered by Brutus.
ANSWER: Gaius Julius Caesar
Two errors here:
#1 He didn't exile himself to Cilicia. He was wandering in Italy for awhile before sailing to Bithynia and then Rhodes, where he was famously captured by Cilician pirates, but he didn't exile himself to Cilicia.
#2 Caesar didn't fight in the Mithridatic Wars that I know of. So that clue about him creating the army to fight Mithridates is probably about Sulla, or possibly Pompey, but definitely not Caesar.

Source: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... ar*.html#1
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

cvdwightw wrote:
ColJade wrote:Maybe it's just the fact that I had to read something by him in Spanish this summer, but it seems like he comes up at every tournament my team goes to (which, again, is only personal experience). He didn't come up in the rounds used by the tournament we went to, so I was surprised until seeing the set.
I think some of this is that it is quite hard to write accessible "World Lit" at this level. One strategy used by a lot of people in filling this subcategory is to try to hit major Latin American authors that people might reasonably read in Spanish class. Accordingly, authors like Neruda and Garcia Marquez tend to show up a lot at the high school level, where the canon of askable African/Asian authors/works is much smaller.
Such as how if you hear anything japanese in NAQT, you can buzz and say "Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki", and usually power it?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

yeah, but you can't do that anywhere else at this level of quizbowl, now that everyone is starting to like japanese authors.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Ringil wrote:Two errors here:
#1 He didn't exile himself to Cilicia. He was wandering in Italy for awhile before sailing to Bithynia and then Rhodes, where he was famously captured by Cilician pirates, but he didn't exile himself to Cilicia.
Encyclopedia Britannica wrote:He found it advisable to remove himself from Italy and to do military service, first in the province of Asia and then in Cilicia.
That sounds like a self exile.
Ringil wrote:#2 Caesar didn't fight in the Mithridatic Wars that I know of. So that clue about him creating the army to fight Mithridates is probably about Sulla, or possibly Pompey, but definitely not Caesar.
Encyclopedia Britannica wrote:In 74 bc, when Mithradates VI Eupator, king of Pontus, renewed war on the Romans, Caesar raised a private army to combat
him.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Eric, it seems that you're correct, but I don't like the Mithradates clue, it really does remind someone of Pompey/Sulla.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Cool. Thanks for the comment.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

This strikes me as a bad tossup from Round 12 of 4Q:
7. This chromosome codes for four members of the DAZ family, and along with chromosome 6, codes
for CD24. MIT researchers discovered in 2003 that it is able to recombine with itself in a process known
as RecLOH, and extra copies of it can lead to skeletal deformities. A zinc finger protein at p11.31 was
erroneously called TDF, until that testis-determining factor was discovered to be its SRY gene. For 10
points, name this sex-determining chromosome in most mammals.
ANSWER: Y chromosome

I think the number of chromosomes tossupable at this level is small, with X, Y, and perhaps 21.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Yeah, I guess that's a valid criticism merely because it invites you to take a guess from a set of most-likely-three. That said, no one would dispute organelle tossups at this level even though most can be narrowed to a set of at most a couple organelles within one clue. My larger problem with this tossup is that it has a lot of hard clues and then the word "testis." I should have done that (much) better.
Andrew Watkins
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Given the format changes at PACE NSC and what I perceive to be a lack of love for four quarter formats, is HSAPQ going to switch to only producing mACF sets?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)