HSAPQ: Fall Tournaments Sets Available

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: HSAPQ: Fall Tournaments Sets Available

Post by DumbJaques »

Is there a particular reason people here are posting and identifying unbelievably self-evident typos or similar errors from every HSAPQ set ever? Writers make dumb errors, and sometimes proofreading doesn't catch them. I see no reason not to contact HSAPQ with such a list if you really feel like spending your time compiling it, but why are you people posting every time you catch a simple mistake? In 90% of these cases the error and correction are extremely obvious, so what's the point? This isn't me speaking as a moderator or anything, but why don't you stop this nonsense? This thread started out with actual discussion about clue placement and the accessibility of various answers, which actually constitutes discussion. I guess people can start a thread solely about who can identify more silly mistakes if they really want, but surely something more productive can come from your read-throughs of these packets?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I don't see a problem with me pointing out mistakes until HSAPQ tells me not to. I just want them to get everything right. But thanks for your input, i guess.

I've surely pointed out much more comprehensive errors/problems in the past, but you elected to ignore those, for the most part.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I don't see a problem with me pointing out mistakes until HSAPQ tells me not to. I just want them to get everything right. But thanks for your input, i guess.

I've surely pointed out much more comprehensive errors/problems in the past, but you elected to ignore those, for the most part.
Well, this wasn't just directed at you, but you're missing the point. I'm saying that identifying comprehensive errors and perceived problems is worthwhile discussion, that it's what we ought to be doing. What I personally find largely pointless is posting obvious things like "this question says Portland is the capital of Oregon" or "this word which was an obvious typo from the previous line of the question should be this other obvious word that's readily apparent." I mean, saying stuff like "I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the such and such education act" when even someone who knows nothing about it (like myself) can read the question and logically infer the mistake - is there really a reason to post that in this thread? Like I said, if you wanted to make a discussion thread for a particular set and do that, it's not really against the rules or anything, but why? It seems like emailing HSAPQ is preferable for stuff like that, while things which can actually be discussed (such as your correct identification of the Nestorianism tossup as way too hard) make better discussion board material.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Auron

You're probably right. I'll keep the typos and little mistakes to myself, or at least compile them and ask them to be corrected by e-mail or something.

On another note, as i read through it comprehensively i'm noticing that the Four-Quarter Set is WAY harder than any of the ACF-style sets, but perhaps that's just my opinion.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote: On another note, as i read through it comprehensively i'm noticing that the Four-Quarter Set is WAY harder than any of the ACF-style sets, but perhaps that's just my opinion.
Could you give some reason as to why you think that?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Auron

Far less accessible tossup answers, really, that pretty much covers it.

The questions/tossups are still great, and lots of good clues, but you're just going to have a way smaller conversion rate on a lot of these because the answers are harder.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Back to more constructive criticism.

Tell me which part of this bonus is the "easy" part:
HSAPQ-produced ACF-style set #2, Round 3, Bonus 17 wrote:17. Name these Japanese authors, for 10 points each.
[10] This author wrote about Ryuji in The Sailor who fell from Grace with the Sea and of Mizoguchi, who
burns down the title structure in his The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.
ANSWER: Yukio Mishima [accept in either order]
[10] Yukio is a sickly character in this author’s Snow Country. He also wrote The Sound of the Mountain
and Thousand Cranes.
ANSWER: Yasunari Kawabata [accept in either order]
[10] This author wrote works inspired by his disabled son in Aghwee the Sky Monster and A Personal
Matter in addition to a novel about two brothers who return to Okubo in The Silent Cry.
ANSWER: Kenzaburo Oe [accept in either order]
I mean, okay, to even an above average player (as opposed to a great/superstar player) these are not hard (in fact another discussion could be "tell me which part of this bonus is the 'hard' part," but anyway)... but to even a kinda okay player, much less a not-really-good-at-all player, these are impossible.

I contend that a better-looking bonus would have two of these authors (Kawabata and Oe for instance) as the first two answers, followed by an answer that simply is just "Japan." Fine, the elite players would laugh at the ridiculous easiness of the last answer, but if bonus questions really are supposed to have conversion rates where 50%-75% of teams should get 10 points on them... well, this bonus doesn't cut it because 50%-75% of teams i see in the course of the year would get 0 on this (and so would we have, a year ago).

EDIT: fixed the round number
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Back to more constructive criticism.

Tell me which part of this bonus is the "easy" part:
HSAPQ-produced ACF-style set #2, Round 3, Bonus 17 wrote:17. Name these Japanese authors, for 10 points each.
[10] This author wrote about Ryuji in The Sailor who fell from Grace with the Sea and of Mizoguchi, who
burns down the title structure in his The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.
ANSWER: Yukio Mishima [accept in either order]
[10] Yukio is a sickly character in this author’s Snow Country. He also wrote The Sound of the Mountain
and Thousand Cranes.
ANSWER: Yasunari Kawabata [accept in either order]
[10] This author wrote works inspired by his disabled son in Aghwee the Sky Monster and A Personal
Matter in addition to a novel about two brothers who return to Okubo in The Silent Cry.
ANSWER: Kenzaburo Oe [accept in either order]
I mean, okay, to even an above average player (as opposed to a great/superstar player) these are not hard (in fact another discussion could be "tell me which part of this bonus is the 'hard' part," but anyway)... but to even a kinda okay player, much less a not-really-good-at-all player, these are impossible.

I contend that a better-looking bonus would have two of these authors (Kawabata and Oe for instance) as the first two answers, followed by an answer that simply is just "Japan." Fine, the elite players would laugh at the ridiculous easiness of the last answer, but if bonus questions really are supposed to have conversion rates where 50%-75% of teams should get 10 points on them... well, this bonus doesn't cut it because 50%-75% of teams i see in the course of the year would get 0 on this (and so would we have, a year ago).

EDIT: fixed the round number
I hold that Mishima would undoubtedly be the easy part. I will disagree in that most teams would 0 this. Also, the order of the parts does not necessarily indicate the difficulty of the part itself, the clues do.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I think your suggestion on the bonus to include a bonus part on Japan is fine, but Mishima is the easiest part there (not that, as you noted, Oe and Kawabata are impossible). I'd think that's a functionally acceptable easy part, even though it would not be as highly converted as Japan since world lit seems to be a less well-known category than, say, American lit.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auron

dtaylor4 wrote:I hold that Mishima would undoubtedly be the easy part.
Okay, i don't see it (meaning, i see the others as the same difficulty, or at least, Kawabata and Mishima are the two easiest), but i'll take your word for it.
dtaylor4 wrote:I will disagree in that most teams would 0 this.
And i will disagree with you whole-heartedly. If i read this to any team in Delaware not named Charter or Caesar Rodney (and on any of our B-D teams as well because i know they don't know these), i can bet you anything you would see 0's across the board.
dtaylor4 wrote:Also, the order of the parts does not necessarily indicate the difficulty of the part itself, the clues do.
I know that. I still think a "Japan" answer would be a good idea, as i've seen in before in "normal" difficulty packets.
Last edited by Down and out in Quintana Roo on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Donald--I have to kibbitz [sic] here......I know a lot of ILLINOIS teams who would have no idea who Mishima was, much less the others.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

I've been wondering why the two NSC sets were, in the category round, missing the science category, as it is pretty big in quiz bowl. (Trash was left out too, but then, that shouldn't come up as often, of course.)
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Auron

Just to continue the Japanese authors discussion, i found another one in the same set to ponder:
Round 8, bonus 1 wrote:1. Name some more Japanese authors, for 10 points each.
[10] This author wrote about his country’s aesthetics in “In Praise of Shadows,” and also wrote novels
like The Makioka Sisters and Some Prefer Nettles.
ANSWER: Junichiro Tanizaki [accept in either order]
[10] This modern author has written such novels as Pinball, 1973, Kafka on the Shore, and The Wind-Up
Bird Chronicle.
ANSWER: Haruki Murakami [accept in either order]
[10] This Heian Period author wrote a book that contains many lists, The Pillow Book.
ANSWER: Sei Shonagon
Really. This one is even harder than the last one i posted. I know that Shonagon is supposed to be the "easy" answer, but wow, this just screams "zero" to about 50-75% of the teams playing on these questions. If HSAPQ wants to expand is clientele and reach out to new teams/areas, i really think bonus questions like this need to be reconsidered.

EDIT: typo.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

That was a pretty hard bonus. It could have been made easier by asking for "The Pillow Book" instead of its author, I guess. Also, there could have been some interesting clues for the first two parts, which basically just list works. This probably is a little off topic here, but I also think that in terms of cyclical "what's coming up in quiz bowl" terms, Japanese lit is way overrepresented within quiz bowl now, and thus this probably is one reason why somewhat difficult bonuses like this appear.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Cheynem wrote:That was a pretty hard bonus. It could have been made easier by asking for "The Pillow Book" instead of its author, I guess. Also, there could have been some interesting clues for the first two parts, which basically just list works. This probably is a little off topic here, but I also think that in terms of cyclical "what's coming up in quiz bowl" terms, Japanese lit is way overrepresented within quiz bowl now, and thus this probably is one reason why somewhat difficult bonuses like this appear.
Japanese lit has always been overrepresented within quizbowl. Proof: http://www.naqt.com/YouGottaKnow/japanese-authors.html is from February 2001!
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

That bonus is a lot tougher.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auron

And it's the first one of a packet! I mean, if you're going to put in ridiculously hard bonus questions, AT LEAST put them near the end so the teams/games that were answering 18-20 tossups will get to them, not the freaking first one to just demoralize a team that got the first tossup on Hercules (with notable giveaway "who completed twelve labors and was really strong") right. That is just killer.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Cheynem wrote:...Japanese lit is way overrepresented within quiz bowl now...
Yeah, it is; far worse than ever. I can vaguely remember a time when it wasn't so, so I guess all that started around 2000.

Also, I don't think that burying a super-hard bonus is any better. Imagine if you needed that bonus to come back at the end of a hard game. Actually, that gives me a good chance to state my disagreement with the argument that certain kinds of bad questions are more acceptable in certain areas of a packet, which I've been seeing more and more recently. If a question's bad, it doesn't matter where it is; it will affect gameplay in the same way to a high degree of approximation. So, just don't write bad questions; there's nowhere in a packet they can be shuffled that's any better or more acceptable.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Auron

Back to my annoying critiques. At least my last one was agreed upon, largely.

This one is just about bonus difficulty variety, especially when it comes to literature.

In the same packet, both of these are found...
HSAPQ-produced ACF-style set #3, Round 12 wrote:6. Godfrey Ablewhite is murdered over possession of the titular gem. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this novel in which the title diamond is stolen from a Hindu shrine and then stolen from Lady
Verinder’s cabinet, a crime investigated by Sergeant Cuff.
ANSWER: The Moonstone
[10] This British author of Armadale and No Name penned The Moonstone.
ANSWER: William Wilkie Collins
[10] Anne Catherick is the mysterious title female of this Collins novel in which Walter Hartright lusts
after Laura Fairlie.
ANSWER: The Woman in White

19. For 10 points each, name these William Faulkner novels.
[10] In this biblically titled work, Thomas Sutpen is killed by Wash Jones after building a Mississippi
plantation.
ANSWER: Absalom, Absalom!
[10] In this novel, Quentin Compson commits suicide after his family sells a pasture to send him to
Harvard.
ANSWER: The Sound and the Fury
[10] This work follows the Bundren family’s attempt to bury Addie Bundren’s body in Jefferson, as told
from several points of view.
ANSWER: As I Lay Dying
Note: I DON'T have a problem with the second bonus here, at least not much of one.

However, the first one i posted is insanely hard, a person who i don't think has ever come up in "regular high school difficulty" before except maybe as a "hard part" of a bonus, yet he's the "easy part" and we're expected to come up with two of his works?! But yet the Faulkner bonus has arguably his three most famous works that many teams will 20 or 30 with no problem.

Thoughts? Or am i making something of nothing here?
Last edited by Down and out in Quintana Roo on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Oh, also, HSAPQ plagiarizes itself:
NSC-style set #1, Round 15 wrote:This incident escalated when Peter Kakhovsky shot Count Miloradovich, who had been sent to attempt
to peacefully disperse the demonstrators. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this uprising, largely of the Russian military, which took place after the death of Alexander I,
and whose members supported making Constantine tsar.
ANSWER: Decembrists uprising or revolt
[10] Despite being elected dictator by the Decembrists, this man failed to show up to the Senate Square
demonstration. He’s loosely related to the Prague School author of Principles of Phonology.
ANSWER: Sergei Petrovich Troubetzkoy
ACF-style set #3, Round 12 wrote:22. This incident escalated when Peter Kakhovsky shot Count Miloradovich, who had been sent to
attempt to peacefully disperse the demonstrators. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this uprising, largely of the Russian military, which took place after the death of Alexander I
and whose members supported making Constantine tsar.
ANSWER: Decembrists uprising or revolt

[10] The Decembrists were opposed to the rule of this younger brother of Constantine. During his reign
he won some victories over the Ottomans, securing land on the Black Sea.
ANSWER: Nicholas I
[10] Despite being elected dictator by the Decembrists, this man failed to show up to the Senate Square
demonstration. He’s loosely related to the Prague School author of Principles of Phonology.
ANSWER: Sergei Petrovich Troubetzkoy
Hm?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Quite sure I've heard tossups on Wilkie Collins as well as on The Moonstone in HS before, though you're right that bonus is much harder than the Faulkner one.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Oh, also, HSAPQ plagiarizes itself
If this is the only example you've found of HSAPQ lifting questions from itself, don't you think this is more of a "didn't catch a repeat" mistake rather than a malicious act of plagiarism? Catching 1 lifted bonus out of 2100+ bonuses seems like a poor reason for accusing an editor/writer/whoever of plagiarism.

Edit: I'm working under the assumption that HSAPQ writers submit questions and then editors compile them into packets
Sandy
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Huang wrote: Edit: I'm working under the assumption that HSAPQ writers submit questions and then editors compile them into packets
If that assumption isn't the case though, then we would be having some serious issues.

However, I do think that they do compile them as often clues are so good that they just should be used for later in future, as other quizbowl organizations do.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

AdamL wrote:Quite sure I've heard tossups on Wilkie Collins as well as on The Moonstone in HS before
NAQT IS #21 had such a tossup (which I'm quite prepared to believe was a mistake!)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

AdamL wrote:Quite sure I've heard tossups on Wilkie Collins as well as on The Moonstone in HS before, though you're right that bonus is much harder than the Faulkner one.
I agree with this. Collins and Moonstone do come up.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I do not believe this is the case. I don't think Collins is appropriate difficulty for regular high school.

EDIT: I know my last names.
Last edited by ihavenoidea on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

ihavenoidea wrote:I do not believe this is the case. I don't think Wilkins is appropriate difficulty for regular high school.
Wilkie Collins you mean.

This bonus I believe many teams would score 0 or 10 points on, because the summary of Moonstone does not come up that often in HS QuizBowl, and other Wilkie Collins' novels really do not come often. So teams most likely would get 10 points.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Auron

master15625 wrote:
ihavenoidea wrote:I do not believe this is the case. I don't think Wilkins is appropriate difficulty for regular high school.
Wilkie Collins you mean.

This bonus I believe many teams would score 0 or 10 points on, because the summary of Moonstone does not come up that often in HS QuizBowl, and other Wilkie Collins' novels really do not come often. So teams most likely would get 10 points.
But that's exactly by point, bonus questions SHOULD NOT have their writers saying "well, MAYBE half the teams will get 10, after that, ha, forget it." In fact i'm sure that way way less than half the teams in the country know about Collins.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Interesting discussion. Many of us read The Moonstone in the 70s by virtue of the Masterpiece Theatre dramatization. I think the larger issue, though, is what constitutes "normal" or "average" high school? Curricula vary widely throughout the country.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

I taught The Moonstone for years in my standard level English 12 class as part of a unit on the development of the mystery novel. I, at least, consider Collins to be an important figure in the development of the high/low literary split that becomes the Sense vs. Sensibility debate of the 18th century and would later lead to a differentiation between "literary" works and "popular" novels. He is as legit for a question at the high school level as would be the pioneering writer of any particular genre of literature.

<edited for phrasing>
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Another Bonus on PACE Set 2 Packet 2 Related Tossup/Bonus 6
Bonus: This diagram explains why certain minerals form near other minerals. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this tuning fork-shaped diagram with quartz at its bottom. It has a continuous and a
discontinuous branch.
ANSWER: Bowen’s Reaction Series [accept Bowen’s Diagram, etc.]
[10] The continuous branch of the Bowen’s series ranges from sodium- to calcium rich varieties of this
type of feldspar, often contrasted with orthoclase.
ANSWER: plagioclase feldspar
Do you think that this would be a little hard for the target audience? I mean, Bowen's Reaction Series is a famous diagram, but I mean, it is still not a common thing that many people hear about. And I don't think many of the targeted teams would know the opposite of orthoclase is plagioclase.

Does anyone else think this is a little difficult?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

master15625 wrote:Another Bonus on PACE Set 2 Packet 2 Related Tossup/Bonus 6
Bonus: This diagram explains why certain minerals form near other minerals. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this tuning fork-shaped diagram with quartz at its bottom. It has a continuous and a
discontinuous branch.
ANSWER: Bowen’s Reaction Series [accept Bowen’s Diagram, etc.]
[10] The continuous branch of the Bowen’s series ranges from sodium- to calcium rich varieties of this
type of feldspar, often contrasted with orthoclase.
ANSWER: plagioclase feldspar
Do you think that this would be a little hard for the target audience? I mean, Bowen's Reaction Series is a famous diagram, but I mean, it is still not a common thing that many people hear about. And I don't think many of the targeted teams would know the opposite of orthoclase is plagioclase.

Does anyone else think this is a little difficult?
The problem with the WoQ PACE set was that each person involved in writing wrote an entire packet, which resulted in people with little to no science knowledge (me!) writing every category. When I wrote the question, I was enrolled in a Geology 101 class, and had recently heard a tossup on Bowens at FEUREBACH, so my difficulty judgement was probably pretty scewed.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

ClemsonQB wrote: The problem with the WoQ PACE set was that each person involved in writing wrote an entire packet, which resulted in people with little to no science knowledge (me!) writing every category. When I wrote the question, I was enrolled in a Geology 101 class, and had recently heard a tossup on Bowens at FEUREBACH, so my difficulty judgement was probably pretty scewed.
Oh, this was written for WoQ. Then I guess the difficulty would be suitable as top teams participated in this tournament. But yeah, in general, it would be too hard. :grin:
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Assuming that is from the Weekend of Quizbowl set, I wrote for that set and I can confirm it was not produced by HSAPQ.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Harper v. Canada (Attorney General) wrote:Assuming that is from the Weekend of Quizbowl set, I wrote for that set and I can confirm it was not produced by HSAPQ.
It was from the HSAPQ Pace #2 Packet #2 Related-Tossup Bonus #6 the question that I referred to. I am not sure what they mean by WoQ
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

It wasn't directly plagarized from WoQ (if it was plagarizing). This is what WoQ had:

[quote=WoQ Packet 8, Last bonus]
Types of this include Aventurine, Tiger’s Eye and Amethyst, and it exhibits piezoelectricity, for 10 points each:
[10] Name this mineral with a Mohs hardness of 7.
ANSWER: Quartz
[10] Quartz is at the bottom of this chain which illustrates the progression of minerals produced by cooling magma, whose left branch includes olivine and biotite.
ANSWER: Bowen’s reaction series
[10] The right branch of Bowen’s reaction series consists of Calcium and Sodium-rich samples of this mineral family.
ANSWER: Plagioclase feldspar [prompt on “Feldspar”]
[/quote]
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Unless I am doing a poor reading job upthread, you are conflating Andrew's assertion that there was plagiarism between two Russian history bonuses, one two-part, and Niel's assertion that a two-part bonus on Bowen's/plagioclase is too hard. No one's asserting that the latter was plagiarized from somewhere, and I tend to believe that the other bonus you found that happens to have two of the same parts is completely unrelated, judging from how they contain language just about as different as can be for two prompts that describe the same things.
Andrew Watkins
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Bird Sonata wrote:It wasn't directly plagarized from WoQ (if it was plagarizing). This is what WoQ had:
WoQ Packet 8, Last bonus wrote: Types of this include Aventurine, Tiger’s Eye and Amethyst, and it exhibits piezoelectricity, for 10 points each:
[10] Name this mineral with a Mohs hardness of 7.
ANSWER: Quartz
[10] Quartz is at the bottom of this chain which illustrates the progression of minerals produced by cooling magma, whose left branch includes olivine and biotite.
ANSWER: Bowen’s reaction series
[10] The right branch of Bowen’s reaction series consists of Calcium and Sodium-rich samples of this mineral family.
ANSWER: Plagioclase feldspar [prompt on “Feldspar”]
Oh okay, this is the question I wrote, not the other. I would have looked through my submitted packet, but I'm in Vienna (and my laptop with the necessary files is in SC).
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Unless I am doing a poor reading job upthread, you are conflating Andrew's assertion that there was plagiarism between two Russian history bonuses, one two-part, and Niel's assertion that a two-part bonus on Bowen's/plagioclase is too hard. No one's asserting that the latter was plagiarized from somewhere, and I tend to believe that the other bonus you found that happens to have two of the same parts is completely unrelated, judging from how they contain language just about as different as can be for two prompts that describe the same things.
I know, I was just clearing up any confusion over what appeared where.
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
New York Undercover
Wakka

Post by New York Undercover »

HSAPQACF1_11 wrote:17. At the end of this opera, the title character heals Amfortas with a spear, then attracts a white dove
by exhibiting the Holy Grail. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this 1882 opera about an Arthurian knight.
ANSWER: Parsifal
[10] This eccentric German composer of The Flying Dutchman, Tristan and Isolde, and Tannhäuser wrote
Parsifal.
ANSWER: Richard Wagner
[10] The Valkyrie and The Rheingold are two of the four operas in the cycle by Wagner named for this
object, manufactured by dwarves known as Nibelung.
ANSWER: ring
I don't know much of quizbowl canon yet but just wondering, which of these is supposed to be the hard part of the bonus?
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

klebian wrote:
HSAPQACF1_11 wrote:17. At the end of this opera, the title character heals Amfortas with a spear, then attracts a white dove
by exhibiting the Holy Grail. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this 1882 opera about an Arthurian knight.
ANSWER: Parsifal
[10] This eccentric German composer of The Flying Dutchman, Tristan and Isolde, and Tannhäuser wrote
Parsifal.
ANSWER: Richard Wagner
[10] The Valkyrie and The Rheingold are two of the four operas in the cycle by Wagner named for this
object, manufactured by dwarves known as Nibelung.
ANSWER: ring
I don't know much of quizbowl canon yet but just wondering, which of these is supposed to be the hard part of the bonus?
Disclaimer: I know little to nothing about classical music.

I would posit that "Parsifal" is the hard part.
Auron

Yeah, it's not too tough as far as music bonus questions go, but i Parsifal is clearly the toughest answer there.

I don't see a problem with that one, really. I would rather have 20 of those types per packet than 20 where the "hard" part is impossible.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
New York Undercover
Wakka

Same question:
Set 2, Round 8 wrote:5. Name these civilizations from their mythologies, for 10 points each.
[10] Huitzilopochtli was their war god, Tlaloc their storm god, and Tlazolteotl was their goddess of filth.
They also borrowed stories about a plumed serpent from an earlier civilization.
ANSWER: Aztecs
[10] The Aztecs borrowed the Quetzalcoatl myths from this civilization, whose mythology holds that he
abandoned their city of Tollan and sailed east on a raft of serpents, to one day return.
ANSWER: Toltecs
[10] While much of their mythology was shared with their eastern neighbors, these people worshipped
such unique figures as Quirinus and Janus, and used indigenous names like Minerva.
ANSWER: Romans
Hard part would be Toltecs? I was actually surprised to do a packet search of my desktop and find this bonus was the only one with Toltecs as the answer. How much are they (and, like, Olmec) in the canon?
Bananaquit
Lulu

Post by Bananaquit »

Toltecs is definitely the hardest part there.

Olmecs are definitely in the canon, more so than Toltecs, but neither of them are canon-pushers by any means.
Greg Tito
Maggie Walker '10
William & Mary '14
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Bananaquit wrote:Olmecs are definitely in the canon, more so than Toltecs, but neither of them are canon-pushers by any means.
Olmecs get asked about more because of the LOL GIANT STONE HEADS giveaway. I'm not convinced that one is more "in the canon" than the other, but both are certainly reasonable as hard parts of high school bonuses.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
New York Undercover
Wakka

Out of curiosity, does HSAPQ have a set distribution that they follow? I'm not a huge fan of the pop culture that they have...
HSAPQ2_9 wrote:14. He rapped “that us kids / Are going to make some mistakes” in “Parents Just Don’t Understand,”
and won the first rap Grammy with DJ Jazzy Jeff. A character he played lives with his uncle Philip Banks
after being sent from “west Philadelphia” where he was “born and raised” for getting “in one little
fight.” This man played the scourge of his cousin Carleton in that series, and later portrayed James
Edwards, who fights aliens in Men In Black. For 10 points, name this actor who played Chris Garder in
The Pursuit of Happyness as well as the namesake character of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
A Fresh Prince reference on the second line seems way too early... I haven't watched that show in years and got it on that name.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

klebian wrote:Out of curiosity, does HSAPQ have a set distribution that they follow? I'm not a huge fan of the pop culture that they have...
HSAPQ2_9 wrote:14. He rapped “that us kids / Are going to make some mistakes” in “Parents Just Don’t Understand,”
and won the first rap Grammy with DJ Jazzy Jeff. A character he played lives with his uncle Philip Banks
after being sent from “west Philadelphia” where he was “born and raised” for getting “in one little
fight.” This man played the scourge of his cousin Carleton in that series, and later portrayed James
Edwards, who fights aliens in Men In Black. For 10 points, name this actor who played Chris Garder in
The Pursuit of Happyness as well as the namesake character of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
A Fresh Prince reference on the second line seems way too early... I haven't watched that show in years and got it on that name.
You assume that a lot of people who are of high school age watched that show. I hold that this is not likely true.
New York Undercover
Wakka

Hmm, I would probably disagree with you but ok, that makes sense then.
Another question (sorry for so many questions about these sets, I am only now going through them)
HSAPQ2_10 seems to have two bonuses on the same subject, which to me is a bit strange.
1. Her early rule was spent on a civil war with the rival Joan, who was supported by Alfonso the Fifth of
Portugal. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this queen who married Ferdinand the Second of Aragon to unite Spain and end the
Reconquista against the Moors. Later, she sponsored Christopher Columbus.
ANSWER: Queen Isabella of Castille [or Isabella the Catholic; or Isabel la Catolica]
20. This ruler revived the hermandad and was the mother of Queen Joanna the Mad. For 10 points
each:
[10] Name this Spanish queen and wife of Ferdinand.
ANSWER: Isabella I
[10] Prior to marrying Ferdinand, Isabella was the queen of what Spanish kingdom that had previously
been ruled Alfonso X and Peter the Cruel?
ANSWER: Castile
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

dtaylor4 wrote:
klebian wrote:Out of curiosity, does HSAPQ have a set distribution that they follow? I'm not a huge fan of the pop culture that they have...
You assume that a lot of people who are of high school age watched that show. I hold that this is not likely true.
I disagree. Very few people I have met don't know the theme song of that show word-for-word. Buzzer race at either Uncle Phil or West Philadelphia.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

rmgeokid wrote: I disagree. Very few people I have met don't know the theme song of that show word-for-word. Buzzer race at either Uncle Phil or West Philadelphia.
I guess we have about two mutual friends. This is inevitably a problem with sample size; I can counter by saying that I saw my first episode of Fresh Prince last year, but knew that Will Smith was in it since elementary school. I bet I have a dozen friends who are the same way. So there!

I also don't see this as a "buzzer race" since there are plenty of buzzable clues beforehand.
Andrew Watkins