Tell me more about the Legend

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Tell me more about the Legend

Post by aestheteboy »

that is Subash Maddipoti.

I was very much intrigued and inspired by what I found on his qbwiki article:
"Noted NAQT studying machine who built himself up from the fourth-best player on his own team to the best player in the country between January and April of 2000, when he led Illinois to an upset victory over an Andrew Yaphe-led Chicago team at the ICT."
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Why are you making threads where you have part of a sentence in the title and then finish it in the first line?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

noted naqt studying machine daichi ueda

amirite?
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Along those lines, my teammate insists his brother is a "quizbowl legend."

So, I request- Do you know who Justin Saussville is?
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Let's see what Ken Jennings's Brainiac has to say about the topic:

"Subash Maddipoti, the University of Chicago phenom whose eleven toss-ups per game in the 2003 NAQT championship are considered the Wilt Chamberlain hundred-point game of the quiz bowl world, told me he discovered his passion for Renaissance art through quiz bowl."

"To prepare for the national quiz bowl tournaments in 2003, Subash Maddipoti sat down and wrote eight thousand five hundred "lead-ins," or hypothetical beginnings to quiz bowl questions, so he could recognize them when they came up in game situations. It took him months."

This postdates the stuff from 2000 that you were talking about, but that's what I got.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

metsfan001 wrote:
"To prepare for the national quiz bowl tournaments in 2003, Subash Maddipoti sat down and wrote eight thousand five hundred "lead-ins," or hypothetical beginnings to quiz bowl questions, so he could recognize them when they came up in game situations. It took him months."
He's the guy who wrote all the lead-ins! Our coach mentions him from time to time, especially when trying to get people to write questions. I knew I'd heard that name somewhere... 8500? That's pretty hardcore.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

NeverHitTina wrote:Along those lines, my teammate insists his brother is a "quizbowl legend."

So, I request- Do you know who Justin Saussville is?
At least in the DC Metro Area, I'd consider him a legend. He was the captain of the 1999 Super-Bowl-winning Gonzaga team. High school quizbowl wasn't nearly as nationally cohesive as it is now, so it's entirely possible he's not known in other regions. Considering Justin's abilities and the fact that top DC-area players also tend to be top national players, it's a reasonable assertion that he'd be nationally known (similar to the way Ted Gioia is known) if he were a player today.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Had he gone to a school with an established team and wanted to continue playing, he probably would have become very well known. He did make the first all-star team at PACE Nationals, and some of us do still keep in touch with him.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I played against Subash once. My team lost.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I just took a look back at the reaction to the 2003 ICT on the Yahoo group. Joon Pahk's is a fair summary:

"subash laid the smack down at that tournament like the smack has never been laid down before. you talk about sheahan's 7/7/0 game, fine, but subash had 8 power TUs in the finals alone, against a berkeley team that went undefeated against the rest of the field... and averaged about 5 power TUs per game for the tournament. that's just sick, sicker than anything andrew yaphe ever did at a national championship.... all hail subash, destroyer of worlds."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quizbowl/message/12028

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quizbowl/message/12473
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

NeverHitTina wrote:So, I request- Do you know who Justin Saussville is?
Hail, Gonzaga!
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I am dismayed by the lack of response because I am totally serious in saying that I was inspired by the story. I was hoping that some college players would talk about some interesting anecdotes/how he managed to do what he did etc. but maybe he was active before the players active today started playing? :neutral:
Why are you making threads where you have part of a sentence in the title and then finish it in the first line?
It's a common practice where I live.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

aestheteboy wrote:I was hoping that some college players would talk about some interesting anecdotes/how he managed to do what he did etc. but maybe he was active before the players active today started playing?
There are plenty of us around who have played against Subash. It's just that Subash c. 2003 was the most awesomely devastating individual performance I've ever seen in quizbowl. So much so that it's kind of incomprehensible from the perspective of his opponents. The score of the final game was Chicago 605, Berkeley A 255, and it didn't seem that close at the time. You might be better off asking for commentary from some of his teammates, since I don't actually know anything about Subash's study methods.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

As far as I know, Subash simply went through every NAQT packet from the previous years, wrote down the lead-ins and studied only those, using NAQT's irritating tendency to recycle lead-ins to great effect. See also Sudheer Potru's less notable accomplishments in 2004.

This is in 2003, I have no idea what he did in 2000, though I seem to remember Paul Litvak telling me that Subash sent him a threatening letter after Illinois lost the 2000 ACF Regionals to Michigan, vowing revenge.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

MLafer wrote:I seem to remember Paul Litvak telling me that Subash sent him a threatening letter after Illinois lost the 2000 ACF Regionals to Michigan, vowing revenge.
This is awesome beyond words.
Doug
Brandeis '17
bigtrain
Rikku

Re: Tell me more about the Legend

Post by bigtrain »

aestheteboy wrote:that is Subash Maddipoti.

I was very much intrigued and inspired by what I found on his qbwiki article:
"Noted NAQT studying machine who built himself up from the fourth-best player on his own team to the best player in the country between January and April of 2000, when he led Illinois to an upset victory over an Andrew Yaphe-led Chicago team at the ICT."
I hear his hair is insured for $10,000 and he does car commercials....in Japan.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010