Nationals Poll

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Is the current slate of national tournaments satisfactory? If so, should there be a new one?

yes; no new nationals
73%
yes; a new national is a good idea
19%
no; the slate of tournaments needs to be changed
8%

Total votes: 26

jewtemplar
Wakka

Nationals Poll

Post by jewtemplar »

This should mean something. Kindly only respond if you have played hs qb within the current era of PACE, NAQT, ASCN, QU, and PAC.
tj b boy
Lulu

Post by tj b boy »

I guess a new nationals if it was made right would be good. As is I don't think it's gonna go well. But if it gets off the ground in the first place it'll have gone outside my expectations, indicating a misjudgement of the data on my part. So if it does pop up, it very well could do well, since the major hurdle of organizing in the first place will by definition have been cleared. But I doubt it'll happen.

So basically I was paralyzed by indecision and didn't vote.
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

I didn't vote either.

Ideally: PACE would keep its basic format and question creating philosophy, though I think it could use some work in organizational aspects, which could help with things like producing multiple sets instead of only NSC. NAQT needs to get back to its academic roots and ditch most of the trash/current events/gk that's steadily been replacing academic content in its packets; I have a bunch of other issues but this isn't the place to discuss them. ASCN and NAC would be put out of their misery and people would stop trying to defend the game-show value of them, since they have been far surpassed by PACE/NAQT. PAC would stick around, because it's a fun tournament; however, they would standardize the state representation process and have the image of a "for fun" tournament for top players rather than a true academic championship.

Status Quo: I think everything's fine, and there's no compelling reason ("but I want things MY WAY, and I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU!!!!" doesn't count) to bring in a new tournament and further confuse things. It would be nice to cut the fat and have ASCN and NAC fizzle, but I can tolerate their existence now since all the serious teams have long since forsaken them for greener pastures.
First Chairman
Auron

Once upon a time...

Post by First Chairman »

ater wrote:Ideally: PACE would keep its basic format and question creating philosophy, though I think it could use some work in organizational aspects, which could help with things like producing multiple sets instead of only NSC. .....
Just to throw in some little bits of PACE history (Samer can probably recall better than me), I think once upon a time a subset of us tried to get a question-share going among various high school competitions being run in the fall semester. That pretty much fell flat on its face, mainly because different competitions wanted different levels of difficulty, and certainly not the level of difficulty we were setting based on the NSC.

Again, I'm not the biggest proponent of getting into the selling questions game; I think there are a lot of people out there selling questions to cater one's needs whether it be speed-tests or NAQT's tossup/bonus questions.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

I understand your sentiments completely, though for "business" reasons I won't elaborate on my motivation for making such a suggestion, though you can talk with Matt and ask him what I told him about the prospect of seasonal PACE sets if you're interested. Let me just say that I would greatly appreciate having another choice in addition to the option of in-house writing and the current products out on the market. Having written for NSC, I would be willing to contribute should making such a set ever be considered.
solonqb
Rikku

Great Lakes Regional

Post by solonqb »

I know that PACE used to produce one other set than NSC - the set for Great Lakes Regional at Case. They held it with a modified PACE fromat last year, so i don't know if they will restore it. What happened to that?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
First Chairman
Auron

Re: Great Lakes Regional

Post by First Chairman »

solonqb wrote:I know that PACE used to produce one other set than NSC - the set for Great Lakes Regional at Case. They held it with a modified PACE fromat last year, so i don't know if they will restore it. What happened to that?
Actually, PACE actually didn't write that set of questions. Rather it was the Case team (spearheaded by me) that wrote the set of questions in NSC game format themselves, originally just to be sure that the NSC format could actually work prior to actually running the event. Furman (David Bykowski heading up that editing team) had also once independently written NSC-style rounds for a tournament they ran.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)