University of South Carolina tournament is Dec. 1

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
scquizbowl
Wakka

University of South Carolina tournament is Dec. 1

Post by scquizbowl »

This year, the University of South Carolina tournament is on Dec. 1, in Columbia. At this tournament, usually, most of the good teams from throughout the state of SC go, including James Island and Irmo, but Dorman usually goes to the tournament in Athens, GA that same day.

It is in Russell House, which is one of the main activity halls at the school.

The questions are good, but there are lots of repeats.

Have any of you ever been to this tournament?
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

The questions stink and there are repeats. If the USC quiz bowl team writes them, the questions are good. There just are not enough of the quality questions for the entire tournament. I suspect that James Island, one of the Dorman teams, and the Governor's School for Math and Science will be the favorites, as they should be. As for us, we'll show up, win a few, lose a few, enjoy lunch and then head home.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

I'm curious where this was announced, since it seems like there's always a good number of tournaments that are out there that some people know about but others don't. For example, there's an NAQT HS tournament not too far from us hosted by Piedmont College in February but I hadn't heard of it before seeing it on the upcoming tournaments part of the NAQT site. If we had known about the USC tournament in advance, we might have been able to work out a better time for both us and them to host it, but it sounds like things went as expected at both schools. It's certainly good for area high school teams- they get closer locations and more choices, so hopefully that will help bring even more teams into the fold and that tournaments will improve or be left behind.
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

Historically this tournament is always the first weekend in December for SC teams only. Letters are mailed to SC schools in September. I think that the date was established as the first weekend in December because Brookwood attracted a number of SC schools when its tournament was held the second weekend in December.
wspires1227
Kimahri

Re: University of South Carolina tournament is Dec. 1

Post by wspires1227 »

I will try to get my sponsors to take us to this tournament next year.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Re: University of South Carolina tournament is Dec. 1

Post by scquizbowl »

Sorry to ask, but could you identify what school you are from?

Joe
James Island Academic Team
Joe
James Island '10