bonuses or Bonuses?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Do you say Bonuses or bonuses is correct?

bonuses
26
47%
Bonuses
29
53%
 
Total votes : 55

bonuses or Bonuses?

Postby steven-lamp » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:49 am

Ok, I have noticed people using the plural form of "bonus" as "bonuses." I checked Webster's and the plural that it carries is "bonuses." American Heritage Dictionary also has "bonuses." So, what's up with the referral of bonuses as bonuses.....it's weird...
User avatar
steven-lamp
Tidus
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:42 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

Postby The Time Keeper » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:53 am

People say bonuses because they're either trying to sound smart or sound funny. In either case they end up sounding like asses. Even if it's actually the "proper" way to say it (I neither know for sure nor care at all), I suggest one avoid using the term "bonuses" just because it's annoying as hell.
User avatar
The Time Keeper
Forums Staff: Administrator
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby ManiacalClown » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:22 am

I say bonuses because I'm lazy and it's easier to say.
ManiacalClown
Rikku
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: College Station, TX, USA

Postby AKKOLADE » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:37 am

Bonuses, because saying bonuses is about as cool as an asach post.
Fred Morlan
PACE Vice President of Outreach, 2017-18
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, PACE member (former President and At Large member of Board), NAQT writer (former subject editor), HSAPQ freelance writer, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT Tournament Director
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
 
Posts: 14706
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

To settle to correctness question once and for all!

Postby cvdwightw » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:08 am

OK, I am putting my "Linguistic Nerd" Hat on, so please do not judge me by these comments, the combination of my not-so-thorough last-five-minutes research and the linguistics class I took last summer.

Bonus came into the English language sometime around the 1770s, borrowed directly from Latin bonus, or good. This word was originally used as an ADJECTIVE. Adjectives do not have plural forms in English. The word later zero-derived into the noun bonus, meaning literally, "something which is good."

Since the word has been zero-derived, its origin as a noun is English, and therefore the plural is conjugated as any normal English noun: bonuses.

Words that do end in "us" and take "i" as plural, including radius and cactus, are NOUNS borrowed from Latin and therefore conjugate as a Latin noun: radii, cacti.

I hope this will put all arguments as to the "CORRECT" form of the plural of bonus to rest. However, as to the more prevalent form...debate on!
User avatar
cvdwightw
Auron
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:46 am
Location: Southern CA

Postby Matt Weiner » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:36 am

"Bonuses" is just so awkward to say.
User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby The Time Keeper » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:46 am

Then just say "bonus questions" or something. bonuses is half pretentious, half goddamn stupid.
User avatar
The Time Keeper
Forums Staff: Administrator
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Chris Frankel » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:50 am

I've taken latin for 4 years, and I still say "bonuses." I just can't stand pretentious douchebags who think every English word with a Latin origin should be treated as such. Usually the same type of pompous moron that says "bonuses" will say the plural of virus as "virii" (which is obviously completely wrong) and still pronounce "alumni" with a long "i" and treat "data" as a singular noun.
User avatar
Chris Frankel
Rikku
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:52 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Captain Sinico » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:03 pm

Ah, "bonuses;" the term of the pretentious and very pretentious alike. I wonder if that has anything to do with its coinage and currency on the East Coast... if you didn't all love taking polls so much, I might make another one about that. I do, however, know that among my teammates, there is a Freeburgian inverse correlation of -1 between "uses bonuses" and "is hated by me;" further, it is often the case that I hate these people for reasons other than their use of "bonuses."
It is my staid opinion that, like many things that are wrong with quizbowl, use of "bonuses" was probably started by someone as a harmless in-joke that other people then proliferated without understanding... actually, that describes most everything in quizbowl whatsoever. Especially the "without understanding" part.
Henceforth, anyone caught using "bonuses" around me will be catapulted out of a window by my Rainbow Maker 400. Possibly their shoes, gold chains, and any tapes they posess (especially those lacking cases) will be stolen.

Michael Angelo Sorice
User avatar
Captain Sinico
Auron
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Champaign, Illinois

Postby AKKOLADE » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:21 pm

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Henceforth, anyone caught using "bonuses" around me will be catapulted out of a window by my Rainbow Maker 400. Possibly their shoes, gold chains, and any tapes they posess (especially those lacking cases) will be stolen.


I don't know what your problem is; obviously, you're forgetting quiz bowlers have no money, no jobs, and no taste. I guess that's a side effect of having a cavity that keeps you afloat where you should have a brain.
Fred Morlan
PACE Vice President of Outreach, 2017-18
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, PACE member (former President and At Large member of Board), NAQT writer (former subject editor), HSAPQ freelance writer, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT Tournament Director
User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
 
Posts: 14706
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Postby aflowerd » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:24 pm

It always seems to me that bonuses is frequently used by quiz bowlers with the emotional development of a 12 year old.

I agree with Pat that it is annoying, mostly due to the fact that usually when people say it, they do so with a slight playfulness in their voice.

I am half waiting for someone to say "Hee Hee, he said bonuses" (Something I actually heard out of a high school senior at a tournament once.)

I usually refer to them as bonus questions simply to avoid the akwardness of bonuses.
aflowerd
Lulu
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:41 pm

Postby tj b boy » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:46 pm

I don't care what the "correct" version is. So I didn't vote. But I do say "bonuses," personally.
User avatar
tj b boy
Wakka
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:25 pm
Location: Centreville/Charlottesville, VA

Postby Matt Weiner » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:18 am

ater wrote:I've taken latin for 4 years, and I still say "bonuses." I just can't stand pretentious douchebags who think every English word with a Latin origin should be treated as such. Usually the same type of pompous moron that says "bonuses" will say the plural of virus as "virii" (which is obviously completely wrong) and still pronounce "alumni" with a long "i" and treat "data" as a singular noun.


I will decline all those words correctly. Virus, being a fourth declension noun, has the plural "virus" with an optional long u.
User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Chris Frankel » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:36 am

Matt Weiner wrote:
ater wrote:I've taken latin for 4 years, and I still say "bonuses." I just can't stand pretentious douchebags who think every English word with a Latin origin should be treated as such. Usually the same type of pompous moron that says "bonuses" will say the plural of virus as "virii" (which is obviously completely wrong) and still pronounce "alumni" with a long "i" and treat "data" as a singular noun.


I will decline all those words correctly. Virus, being a fourth declension noun, has the plural "virus" with an optional long u.


Uh, isn't "virus" a rare second declension neuter with a collective meaning, a la "vulgus" or "crowd"?
User avatar
Chris Frankel
Rikku
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:52 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Howard » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:57 pm

One would think Webster and American Heritage would be authoritative enough.

On a side note, there's a Subaru running around Maryland with the license plate "bonuses". I wonder if they have any idea.
User avatar
Howard
Yuna
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 5:42 pm
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Postby harshrealm » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:21 pm

bonuses. Why?
1) I stutter over the word bonuses due to a combination of a Georgia education and growing up in a non-English speaking home.
2) Falling asleep in Latin and thus only learning certain parts of grammar.
3) It was handed down to me by upperclassmen when I was a freshman, so by now it's ingrained.

Honestly though, how often do you need to say the plural of bonus? "These bonus questions suck" usually does the trick without having to resort to other forms. I only use 'bonuses' about once a season or so anyway.
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
harshrealm
Lulu
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 5:41 pm

Postby qbsuperstar03 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:16 pm

My team called them "bonuses" because a lot of us were taking Latin. And the plural of "bonus" in Latin is "bonuses." And we did pretty damn well last year, mind you.

EDIT: cvdwightw, thanks, I have now been knocked down from my high horse (but my school's curriculum was focused more on literature starting third year)
Last edited by qbsuperstar03 on Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a warrior on the front lines in the battle against ignorance. I fight on, even though I may fight alone.
qbsuperstar03
Lulu
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:00 pm

Postby Captain Sinico » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:25 pm

Surely that makes you right.

MaS
User avatar
Captain Sinico
Auron
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Champaign, Illinois

Bonuses

Postby Jason84 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:41 am

Bonuses. Period.
Jason84
Lulu
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:00 pm
Location: Michigan State University

Postby TeeK » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:57 pm

I think that the question can be easily solved...

Which one do you have more fun saying? There ya go.
"Waka laka love and fantasy!" ~Sorry, I cannot resist...
User avatar
TeeK
Lulu
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:53 pm
Location: Alpharetta, GA

Postby Hydrant » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:06 am

when i play certamen- bonuses
When I play Quiz Bowl- Bonuses
Booya!
Hydrant
Lulu
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:22 am

Re: Bonuses

Postby Captain Sinico » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:36 pm

the dateline on post by Jason84 wrote:Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:41 am

the dateline on post by TeeK wrote:Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:57 pm

...

MaS
User avatar
Captain Sinico
Auron
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Champaign, Illinois

Postby MCDoug » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:32 pm

you'll live.

just because it's not new to you doesnt mean it's not new to someone else.
User avatar
MCDoug
Rikku
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Gainesville, FL

Postby Ophidiophile » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:54 pm

In most online settings, people frown upon reviving really old stuff. Of course, they'll also complain if a new person starts a new conversation on something they can remember talking about in the not-so-distant past.

So I guess the way to go is just don't be new.
~dude3282~
I'm sorry, my karma just ran over your dogma.
User avatar
Ophidiophile
Lulu
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:06 pm
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Postby Captain Sinico » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:57 pm

MCDoug wrote:you'll live.

just because it's not new to you doesnt mean it's not new to someone else.

Hey, thanks buddy. It's good to know that you can teach me not only quizbowl science, but also how to moderate my forum. Since (I'm assuming) the people reviving a four-month-old thread with nothing new or interesting are probably new (they are, at very least, unaware of the "rules," or stupid) I decided to go easy on them by simply noting that such practices aren't good, via silence. Since you, in your wisdom, have decided to make an issue of what everyone knows to be common practice, noting we'll all live (which note is, unfortunately, likely to be true) I suppose that such lenience is a luxury no longer affordable, so any further posts without substance in this forum will probably be deleted or (what's better) replaced with pictures of my chosing.

MaS
User avatar
Captain Sinico
Auron
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Champaign, Illinois

Postby MCDoug » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:35 pm

you're very welcome. have a great day :)

by the way, i perfer bonuses out of the two available choices. although, since i'm not entirely sure which is correct, whenever i have to use the word in question i simply replace it with "bonus questions."
User avatar
MCDoug
Rikku
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Gainesville, FL

Postby Agent Smith » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:15 pm

I was wrong. ImmaculateDeception was right. Sorry.
User avatar
Agent Smith
Lulu
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: FL


Return to High school area archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests