WUHSAC Results?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

WUHSAC Results?

Post by Stained Diviner »

Anybody know anything about Washington University results?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Dunbar cannot be stopped. Except by Dunbar. Unfortunately, the playoff scoresheets got thrown away, so the scores are from memory. If anyone can send me their playoff scores at pinyan at gmail dot com, I can incorporate them in the website when it goes up in a few days.

Quarterfinals (all 8 of these teams went unbeaten in their prelim group and won their first round playoff game):
(1) Westminster 315, (8) SLU High 55
(2) Dunbar A 265, (7) Dunbar C 255 (in sudden death OT)
(3) Dunbar B 270, (6) Ladue A 265
(4) Madisonville North Hopkins 260, (5) New Trier 240 (got #20 to break the tie)

Semifinals
(4) Madisonville 250, (1) Westminster 240 (second question of OT)
(2) Dunbar A 260, (3) Dunbar B 250 (got the last part of the last bonus)

3rd place
Dunbar B def Westminster by 50 points or so

Championship
Dunbar A 360, Madisonville 120 to win their second straight WUHSAC title.
Last edited by jonpin on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

jonpin wrote:(3) Dunbar B def (6) Ladue A by 10-20 points
Actually if memory serves me correctly Dunbar B won by 5 points 270-265.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

The Questions were, as last year excellent.
We (Dunbar C) were unfortunately put in the same side of the bracket as our A team and B team. All in all, very fun. Though, considering that our teams all performed well, I wish we had been in opposite sides of the bracket.
Very well run by Wash U.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

jonpin wrote:Dunbar cannot be stopped. Except by Dunbar. Unfortunately, the playoff scoresheets got thrown away, so the scores are from memory. If anyone can send me their playoff scores at pinyan at gmail dot com, I can incorporate them in the website when it goes up in a few days.
Your score for the Madisonville-North Hopkinds and New Trier game is correct. Wow, that was a tense one. And, for the record, you were correct (at least according to Wikipedia) as to the whole "Promontory Point" thing.

Anyways, it was a great tournament, one of the best I've been to all year. They were great questions, and I can't wait for next year.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Trevkeeper wrote:Your score for the Madisonville-North Hopkinds and New Trier game is correct. Wow, that was a tense one. And, for the record, you were correct (at least according to Wikipedia) as to the whole "Promontory Point" thing.

Anyways, it was a great tournament, one of the best I've been to all year. They were great questions, and I can't wait for next year.
Thank you for the accolades. I actually hadn't looked up the Promontory Summit question after the tournament, as it didn't wind up affecting the outcome and I forgot about it afterwards. I totally agree that it was a tense battle, and remember it being tied 230-230 entering the last tossup. From what I hear, the semifinals were just as exciting.
brownboy79 wrote:We (Dunbar C) were unfortunately put in the same side of the bracket as our A team and B team. All in all, very fun. Though, considering that our teams all performed well, I wish we had been in opposite sides of the bracket.
That was odd and of course unexpected, but how the seedings worked out. We were interested to note at the end of the round robin that Westminster and Dunbar-A had the same number of points in their 5 games, but the next criteria (point differential) put Westminster in the #1 seed.
As to your comment in the Off-Topic section, it is far more likely that this question was written based on the story, as opposed to the random comment in a quiz bowl forum. To my knowledge, only allythin and myself actively participate on these forums among the WUHSAC question writers, and neither of us would've written that question. In all likelihood, the question was written before Tuesday (almost all of the questions were), and I can't really think anyone would base a question on something they saw in a QB forum (it'd be almost as bad as word-for-word Wikicopying). As Mr. Chuck noted in the OT thread, chalk it up to good luck and random knowledge. (Also, what was the other question? If you're talking about Sago, where was that not talked about?)[/url]
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

As to your comment in the Off-Topic section, it is far more likely that this question was written based on the story, as opposed to the random comment in a quiz bowl forum. To my knowledge, only allythin and myself actively participate on these forums among the WUHSAC question writers, and neither of us would've written that question.[/url]
For the record, if my timestamps serve me correctly, this question was written from the writer seeing the Rueters article and submitted BEFORE the thread, not after. This is really why current events should be limited to questions of that sort and not liberally mixed in the clues of academic questions (same deal with trash).[/quote]
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I am sure of the Duchamp question. As for the other one, I heard it from a teammate about a bonus, but I will look it up on the site. Please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to say that the Wash U question writers poorly research their questions. Actually, this goes to show the currency of the facts that they use. Wash U is a great tournament. If I cam across otherwise, I am very sorry.
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

brownboy79 wrote:I am sure of the Duchamp question. As for the other one, I heard it from a teammate about a bonus, but I will look it up on the site. Please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to say that the Wash U question writers poorly research their questions. Actually, this goes to show the currency of the facts that they use. Wash U is a great tournament. If I cam across otherwise, I am very sorry.

While I did not write the Duchamp question, I am an alum of Wash U and I probably wrote most of the current events in the tournament and have for the past 5 years or so(I submitted a full distribution, but due to repeats etc, some of them were probably not written by me). I can assure you that I did not write anything off of this board...I don't even follow the conversations; just check on this tournament and Illinois high school and NAQT HSNCT/ICT, general stuff like that.

That being said, the current events were all written in the month or so before the tournament. I remember playing in high school and hearing "current events" that were really 7-8 months old with in depth clues that no one would really remember anymore(I only know of one or two I wrote that was that old and it was Hurricane Katrina and the pope, so they're definitely rememberable). So, when I began writing the current events, I strived to make them as current as possible(even going so far as writing some questions 2 days before the tournament a few years ago). That is why you saw questions on Samuel Alito, the Sago Mine Disaster, Ariel Sharon, Alan Greenspan and the Fed, etc and why they could have been discussed in other places; they are just current news...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the tournament.

Joel Gluskin
Washington University Class of '04
jonpin
Auron

Full WUHSAC results

Post by jonpin »

Full preliminary team and individual statistics, as well as the scores of much of the playoff bracket, can now be found online at http://artsci.wustl.edu/~jpinyan/wuhsac8.html
Jon Pinyan

brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Mr. Pinyan, could you please tell me your email? I believe there is a mistake on my particular stat page. I am listed as scoring 0 for a game in which I certainly played in. I don't care about the ranking but I would like to know the final results.
http://artsci.wustl.edu/~jpinyan/wustl/ ... etail.html
Also, through some magical stroke of luck, it seems we got 310 points out of 3 tossups. I do believe that some stats got lost somewhere.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

As noted above, pinyan at gmail dot com.
If I remember correctly, that game was in the other building, and the first time stats were sent, your full game, 7 tossups was left off. I noticed that was odd, and saw it the second time through, but forgot to edit the file. Your total would thus be 5 games, 31 tossups, 62PPG. If I get a chance, I'll go back through and edit the file.
Jon Pinyan

brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Thank you very much. I just wanted to know how I did. But, I can't see your email address from my account, I'm not an admin.