NLN III @ Penn State University (10/7/17)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Victor Prieto
Auron

NLN III @ Penn State University (10/7/17)

Post by Victor Prieto »

Penn State Quiz Bowl will be holding the third Nittany Lion Novice (NLN) Tournament on October 7th, 2017. The tournament will be run on DEFT, a regular-minus difficulty set written by Darien. The tournament is primarily intended for new-to-quizbowl schools and teams comprised of new players at established programs. The initial field cap for the event will be 20 teams.

Logistics

Registration will begin at 8:00 am in room 160 in the Willard Building (same as last year). The opening meeting will take place in the same room at 8:45 am, and the first round will begin at 9:00 am. Details about where to park and directions to the tournament location on campus will be emailed to teams about a week prior to the tournament. Several excellent lunch locations are in walking distance, and directions/suggestions about where to eat will be provided to teams at the tournament.

Eligibility

Because this is a novice tournament, the following eligibility restrictions will be in place.

Students at any grade level who have never played a pyramidal quizbowl tournament before are automatically eligible to compete. IU competitions do not count for the purposes of this rule.

Middle school teams are automatically eligible to compete.

Players who do not fall into either of those categories must meet these three requirements in order to be eligible:

1. Is enrolled in 9th or 10th grade during the 2017-18 school year.
2. Has never scored more than 50 points per game at a high school pyramidal quizbowl tournament run using an NAQT A-set, SCOP Novice, or sets at a similar difficulty level.
3. Has never scored more than 30 points per game or higher at a high school pyramidal quizbowl tournament that used any other set.

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at vpp5054 at psu dot edu. Please include the number of teams, the number of buzzers, and the number of moderators you will have with you. Teams which bring buzzers and experienced moderators will be given discounts.

Teams may have a maximum of 6 players per registered team. You may register as many teams as you like, but if you are bringing seven players, you must split into two teams.

Fee Structure

$75 for first registered team
$65 for all subsequent teams
-$10 per buzzer
-$10 per moderator
-$20 for teams from schools which have not attended a pyramidal quizbowl tournament in the past three years

All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts. The minimum fee is $45 per team, which is payable via cash or check. Please make checks payable to "Penn State Quiz Bowl."

Any questions can be forwarded to me at vpp5054 at psu dot edu. We hope to see you at Penn State!

Field (Teams/Buzzers/Moderators)

Total (12/5/4)

Camp Hill (1/1/0)
Huntingdon (2/0/0)
Manheim Township (3/2/0)
State College (6/3/5)

Updated October 2nd
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 am, edited 10 times in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Magritte's Pipe
Lulu

Re: NLN III @ Penn State University (10/7/17)

Post by Magritte's Pipe »

Hi, I'm just asking some clarification on your eligibility rules, both because my team has a strong possibility of coming to this tournament and because I think other teams might benefit from the clarification. Do your three rules for players being eligible interact, or are they independent of one another? I'll give you a concrete example:

I have a player who is starting his sophomore year. He played in two tournaments last year. Playing in a varsity bracket in one tournament he scored 4.5 points. Playing in a JV bracket (basically novice level) he scored 25.7 points. Would he be eligible because he is a 10th grader, ineligible because he scored more than 25 points, or is the real answer something else? Thank you for your time.
Andrew Gianelli
Lancaster Catholic '00
Coach, Camp Hill High School Quiz Bowl Team
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Magritte's Pipe wrote:Hi, I'm just asking some clarification on your eligibility rules, both because my team has a strong possibility of coming to this tournament and because I think other teams might benefit from the clarification. Do your three rules for players being eligible interact, or are they independent of one another? I'll give you a concrete example:

I have a player who is starting his sophomore year. He played in two tournaments last year. Playing in a varsity bracket in one tournament he scored 4.5 points. Playing in a JV bracket (basically novice level) he scored 25.7 points. Would he be eligible because he is a 10th grader, ineligible because he scored more than 25 points, or is the real answer something else? Thank you for your time.
I fixed the ambiguity in the rules as they were stated before, thanks for pointing that out. Besides clarifying the eligibility rules, we've also slightly lowered the barriers based on performance at previous tournaments.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Lunch stats are posted here.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE