Governor's Cup

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CrimeandPunishment
Lulu

Governor's Cup

Post by CrimeandPunishment »

If you live in KY, what do you think about the Governor’s Cup competition?
Go lafayette!
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

As far as the quick recall portion of it, I haven't seen anyone play, so its pretty wide open at this point.

Now as far as the overall, including written assesments and FPS, it will probably come down to dupont, Dunbar, and Russell. My main basis for this is that these schools traditionally do the best on the written tests, where most of the points come from. The top 2 overall has been some combination of two of those three teams for the last nine or ten years.
CrimeandPunishment
Lulu

What team do you play for?
Go lafayette!
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

dupont Manual (Manyo is an alternate way of saying manual)
Last edited by Manyo2 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattreece
Lulu

Post by mattreece »

"dupont Manual (Manyo is alternate way of saying manual)"

People still do that? Wow.
Not So Silent Bob
Kimahri

Post by Not So Silent Bob »

I'm sure that Dunbar, duPont, and Russel will do quite well. But;based on their strong showing last year and the strong showing they had at ACE QuizBowl Camp, I look for Danville to finish in the top 3 of the Governor's Cup.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Not So Silent Bob wrote:I'm sure that Dunbar, duPont, and Russel will do quite well. But;based on their strong showing last year and the strong showing they had at ACE QuizBowl Camp, I look for Danville to finish in the top 3 of the Governor's Cup.
Given that you're on their academic team, I've got to say I'm shocked that you believe that.

MaS
Not So Silent Bob
Kimahri

Post by Not So Silent Bob »

Sorry man, I just call it as I see it.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I've played all three and I assure you, Danville is the real deal (although they still have a bit of work to be sure of beating DuPont)
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Not So Silent Bob wrote:Sorry man, I just call it as I see it.
Great teams usually show modesty and don't jock themselves this much.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
CrimeandPunishment
Lulu

That true. However Dunbar hasn't beaten DuPont in a long time.
Go lafayette!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

ericblair wrote:Great teams usually show modesty and don't jock themselves this much.
Most do, but it's ok to be confident. Once you get too cocky, then your ass should be kicked.
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

To take up for Dunbar in response to CrimeandPunishment, they beat us in a pre-NAQT scrimmage this past year. Also, prior to last year we hadn't beaten them in a long time at the varsity level, not the other way around
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

Well I firmly believe that U of L just defeated U of K for the "Govenor's Cup". If the ref would have called Woodson out of bounds (which he was) and didnt call a fumble UK would of won the "Govenor's Cup".

For those of you that didnt know Govenor's Cup is also the annual game between Kentucky and Louisville.
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

[quote="DaGeneral"][quote="ericblair"]Great teams usually show modesty and don't jock themselves this much.[/quote]

Most do, but it's ok to be confident. Once you get too cocky, then your ass should be kicked.[/quote]

Exactly.
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
MollyBlum
Lulu

Post by MollyBlum »

I'm from Danville as well, and while I don't know if we could make top 3 at Governor's Cup, we're hoping to do well and I think we can do really well at All 'A' State, though Pikeville looks to be strong again this year. Dunbar looks very good for this year too, though, and it was my understanding that Russell still has all of last year's starters so I wouldn't count them out either.
MollyBlum
Lulu

Post by MollyBlum »

Madisonville North Hopkins made a strong showing at Ezell Harding this weekend, so they should definitely be added to the list of contenders.
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

after the tournament at Central Hardin i saw that Danville and Dunbar are both really great teams...they got 2nd and 3rd after Walton

my team (Central Hardin) got 4th and knocked off Pikeville and Madisonville N. Hopkins and Pikeville, but I wouldnt count on the same result every game

russell could not make it there, but im sure they would have been very competitive as well
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I don't think Dunbar will be as solid in the QR portion of GovCup as usual. Dunbar tends to be weaker in the speed category than Russell. JCC might also make a good showing along with Mad-No-Ho.

I look for the overall results to be close between Dunbar, Manual, and Danville. But, QR is still wide open.
ericblair
Wakka

Re: Governor's Cup

Post by ericblair »

CrimeandPunishment wrote:If you live in KY, what do you think about the Governor’s Cup competition?
I, personally, think that the quick recall portion of it is a terrible indicator of knowledge.

Governor's Cup needs to switch to a different style of question writing altogether. They need to be more pyramidal, which I tend to do something about.

I've seen teams go from winning state in quick recall to getting blown out at Vanderbilt, Brookwood, etc tournament. The reason for this is that the Gov Cup question writers are so redundant. They have the same questions year after year with a little bit of a twist to them. There is rarely any new information. Everything seems to have come up before in some past KAAC event. Question that start out "This 1513 work..." and "Born on the island of Crete..." should be wiped away from the world of quiz bowl. Nine or ten times out of ten, in KY that is, the answers will be The Prince and El Greco, respectively.

Luckily, I now have the oppurtunity to input ideas in the regulation of the GovCup writing style.

I'm rather disgusted and other KY quick recallers should be as well.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
LizzieA8913
Kimahri

Post by LizzieA8913 »

AMEN! Preach on!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

If you want bad test of knowledge questions, read some non-Triad Illinois questions.