Illinois 05-06

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
popculture
Lulu

Post by popculture »

Congratulations to DCC, who played well enough to earn a spot in the Maine South subsectional.
University of Notre Dame '10
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Also, third place was awarded by a forfeit from Fenwick. In case anyone cares.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Sorry this post is late, my DSL was down!

Anyway. . .I am happy to announce Team Illinois 2006:

Carlo Angiuli, New Trier
Greg Gauthier, Wheaton North
Tyler Kerr, Rockford Auburn
Matt McKenna, Loyola Academy
Justin Stoncius, Carbondale
Kristina Warren, Bloomington

Thanks to all who tried out and congratulations to our sic members of Team Illinois 2006.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

WN most definitely did not rout us. Though it seemed like they did for a while, we made a very impressive comeback effort that simply fell short.

Edit: Major kudos to Carlo. He kicked butt all day at tryouts.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Congrats to the members of Team Illinois and may you represent our state well down in Florida.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Congratulations to everyone who made Team Illinois!
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Before anything else is said.....while the content of the Team Illinois deliberations remains confidential, and this also my sound clichéd or trite, but in all of the years I have been a part of the selection process, this was the year was the most difficult to make. Debate and deliberations lasted until after 5 pm. (that was close to two and a half hours).

Congratulations to all who came, tried out, and who rank among the best in the state.
Personamb
Lulu

Post by Personamb »

Congrats, and good luck to all those on Team Illinois.
Cliff Chang
New Trier HS, IL
California Institute of Technology, CA
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

According to my source, here are the seeds and All-Sectional players for the Maine South subsectional:

1. Maine East
2. New Trier
3. Loyola
4. Deerfield
5. Lake Forest
6. Maine South
7. Notre Dame
8. Von Steuben

*Matt McKenna, Loyola
*Erin Li, Maine East
*Greg Peterson, Maine South
Alex Zhukhovitskiy, Maine East
Louis Sachs, Von Steuben
Thomas Buley, New Trier

*=elgibile for All State
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

It looks like the Annual Loyola-Maine South Regional Death Match will return, though it will be one round earlier than normal this time.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Why are those three people not eligible for All-State?
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Only the top half of the All Sectional players are eligible for All State voting per the rules, Siva.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Trevkeeper wrote:According to my source, here are the seeds and All-Sectional players for the Maine South subsectional:

1. Maine East
2. New Trier
3. Loyola
4. Deerfield
5. Lake Forest
6. Maine South
7. Notre Dame
8. Von Steuben

*Matt McKenna, Loyola
*Erin Li, Maine East
Louis Sachs, Von Steuben
Thomas Buley, New Trier

*=elgibile for All State
I have half of a mind to tell the schools in this sectional that they deserve the stacked brackets - the voting shows that the majority of voters don't know what they're talking about. Carlo made Team Illinois, 6th in Solo, on and on - didn't make All Sectional (why only 6 choices? I thought it was 10), whereas someone else from NT did. (I haven't heard of Thomas Buley before, mainly because I haven't played New Trier where they had name tags :)). A full strength Maine East team places 4th at Streator - losing to Springfield and LaSalle Peru in the process - and tops both New Trier and Loyola not a week later? What rationale was presented to get this to happen - not being in Chicago, I might not be aware of the reasoning. I'm just calling it like I'm seeing it.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Well now, each school can only put forth two names for consideration for All-Sectional. NT only put forth their two high tossup getters. And regarding the numbers of six or ten, there are six All-Sectional players chosen, and the coaches rank ten of the ones put forth for consideration.

Also, due to the stacked nature of our subsectional, there may be some coaches that request to have their students reconsidered for honors. I have a feeling that we will be seeing some more All-Sectional honors coming out of here sometime soon.

Also, Buley is the 6' 7" captain from NT.

Edit: Buley is 6'7" not 6'8".
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

One reason to rank Maine East ahead of New Trier and Loyola was that Maine East beat New Trier and Loyola. Their win over Loyola was very close, and their wins over New Trier were not. They beat both of us at Northwestern and beat New Trier in CSL competition. Though this is a very strong Sub-Sectional, every team in it has taken some lumps over the course of the season.

Carlo did not make All-Sectional based on my decision. Even if I had nominated him, I have no idea whether or not he would have been selected because his tossup totals are almost identical to those of Buley and Matchen. All three have between 160 and 170 tossups for the year not including Ultima and Solo.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

styxman wrote:
Trevkeeper wrote:According to my source, here are the seeds and All-Sectional players for the Maine South subsectional:

1. Maine East
2. New Trier
3. Loyola
4. Deerfield
5. Lake Forest
6. Maine South
7. Notre Dame
8. Von Steuben

*Matt McKenna, Loyola
*Erin Li, Maine East
Louis Sachs, Von Steuben
Thomas Buley, New Trier

*=elgibile for All State
I have half of a mind to tell the schools in this sectional that they deserve the stacked brackets - the voting shows that the majority of voters don't know what they're talking about.
While I won't wholly disagree, here are some facts:
1. Maine East vs. New Trier: 2-0, vs. Loyola 2-0, vs. Deerfield 1-0, vs. Maine South 2-0....before this weekend, their only losses were to Auburn and Fremd at 25-3. Maine East has tapered off a bit in the last two weeks, but they very much earned their seed.....the last two weeks is not indicative of the rest of their season (though I kind of hope it is indicative of what is to come). :razz:

2. Deerfield is only 12-4, but their losses were to Fenwick (twice), New Trier, and Maine East. They actually are 1-0 vs. Loyola.

3. Maine South lost by 1 point to Lake Forest in a match read entirely by Lake Forest's coach.....Lake Forest is 19-3 (one loss was a forfeit because their league requires five players to play). They have wins against Stevenson and Libertyville, though that is not as impressive this year as it might have been a year ago.

4. Von Steuben is one game over .500, but claims they were down a key player in several matches.....Notre Dame is in the same boat, but has not had as big a schedule this year because of scheduling issues with the school.
popculture
Lulu

Post by popculture »

These are good rankings, and no one is complaining/in a position to complain. Some quick questions, though:

1. Was it really NAQT win-loss records were used to seperate Maine East from the pack? If so, since Maine East beat Loyola 235-230, shouldn't Loyola's 325-180 victory of New Trier in their only head-to-head give them the higher seed (stats from NU's site)? Was Ultima factored in?
2. Of the top 8, how many teams are in the CSL? Is it all the (6) publics?
3. How is it possible that NT and LA never met in Illinois format (They haven't right?). Two teams who go to (practically) all the tournaments and always make the afternoon...
4. Should it be established that Loyola and Maine South play each other every year at regionals regardless of record? We could call it the Bloodstone Bowl (after March's alternate birthstone) and the winner could keep the Bloodstone Cup until the next year. The winner should move on to sectionals as well (Though, for this year, they'll have to play New Trier (Would New Trier be willing to forfeit?)).
You can laugh, but the Super Bowl didn't get its name until the third installment. With the right media attention ("Svetlichnaya...McKenna... Who will take home the Bloodstone Cup? The Bloodstone Bowl on ABC!") Bloodstone Bowl III can be everything Super XL wasn't.
University of Notre Dame '10
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I do find it kind of interesting that we've never played Loyola in Illinois format. There was a near miss at Richards, where if we had won at the semis we would have played them for the championship. I'm not sure if there were any other "close calls".
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

popculture wrote:These are good rankings, and no one is complaining/in a position to complain. Some quick questions, though:

1. Was it really NAQT win-loss records were used to seperate Maine East from the pack? If so, since Maine East beat Loyola 235-230, shouldn't Loyola's 325-180 victory of New Trier in their only head-to-head give them the higher seed (stats from NU's site)? Was Ultima factored in?
NAQT records are discounted in formal records as per the IHSA policy, but they are open to being discussed. Ultima was not much of a factor because it is held early in the year, and a lot of players are unable to attend (for example, Wheaton North finished dismally, but if it were held today, that is likely not to be the case).

2. Of the top 8, how many teams are in the CSL? Is it all the (6) publics?
Maine East, New Trier, and Deerfield are the only ones in the top 8 from the CSL. Maine South and Loyola are Independents. Notre Dame and Von Steuben are North Metro. Lake Forest is from the North Suburban.

3. How is it possible that NT and LA never met in Illinois format (They haven't right?). Two teams who go to (practically) all the tournaments and always make the afternoon...
I noted that this was a bit anomolous while trying to find a way to cast a vote for them. All things considered, it is a bit odd, but you can only play the teams on your schedule.
4. Should it be established that Loyola and Maine South play each other every year at regionals regardless of record? We could call it the Bloodstone Bowl (after March's alternate birthstone) and the winner could keep the Bloodstone Cup until the next year. The winner should move on to sectionals as well (Though, for this year, they'll have to play New Trier (Would New Trier be willing to forfeit?)).
New Trier, forfeit? ......I don' think so! Each of the last two years the team of upstart juniors has defeated the salty, grizzled veteran senior team which is the favorite, so we can do it this year, but not next year!
Who will take home the Bloodstone Cup? The Bloodstone Bowl on ABC!") Bloodstone Bowl III can be everything Super XL wasn't.
The real BloodBath will be on Saturday at Fenwick....Fremd, Fenwick, Wheaton North...plus a few others.....it will be a match of the titans.

As for the seeds....they are about what they ought to be, and no one could really argue too much that they should be changed.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Regional Pairings are up:

Class A
Class AA

No Bloodstone cup. The IHSA gets to hold it for this year. A shame.
TeachMe
Lulu

Post by TeachMe »

I must say that it is nice that Trevkeeper was nominated for All sectional, even if Carlo was not. Trevkeeper is an exceptional layer, and is a scholastic bowl afficionado. He deserved to be nominated. He is a gentleman, and a scholastic bowl proponent. I'm sorry you were not selected for all state.
Martin Esgar
Deerfield, IL
[email protected]
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Why, thank you Coach Esgar.

In non-state series news, did anyone watch the Teen Tournament this week? Kenny Schlax of Deerfield was on (Thursday, I think), and did quite well. He was actually leading going into the final round. It's nice to see Illinois represented so well. I wonder if anyone will take the opportunity to try out at NAQT Nationals?
bdavery
Lulu

Post by bdavery »

I did see Kenny, and he did indeed know many answers. It was unfortunate that he didn't grasp the concept that he didn't need to win in order to get to the next round. Had he bet so as to have $10,000 left after Final Jeopardy (my long-honed estimate as to the minimum amount that pretty much guarantees advancement), he probably would have been fine. Instead, he bet to guarantee a win, got one he didn't know, and went down in flames.
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
TeachMe
Lulu

Jeopardy

Post by TeachMe »

Yes, Kenny may have advanced if he had not bet such a large sum, but it is nice to see the conviction he showed by trying to win with such a large sum. I am so proud of him getting on the show and the tremendous class he has shown on the team.
Martin Esgar
Deerfield, IL
[email protected]
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Hopefully my coach won't kill me mentioning the J-word, but when are those Jeopardy! tryouts, again?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Results of Blood Bath III (though this year, far less blood):

1. Fremd
2. Fenwick
3. St. Ignatius
4. Marist

Wheaton North failed to advance, but they were a little short handed.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

cornfused wrote:Hopefully my coach won't kill me mentioning the J-word, but when are those Jeopardy! tryouts, again?
Perhaps you could attempt to....oh, I don't know.....e-mail your coach!

The Great and Powerful Oz.....has spoken.

:twisted:
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Is anyone brave enough to venture to the realm of Sectional Prognostication? I'm certainly not, but I bet somone is!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I will be first to make the bold leap that is predicting sectionals:

Carbondale, Bloomington, Auburn, WN, Fremd, BB, Deerfield, and Marist.

Any challenges?
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

There's really no hard choice in any sectional except for the obvious one. Every other sectional in AA has been decided already.

AA:
Bradley-Bour.
Fremd
Auburn
WN
Carbondale
Bloomington
1. Loyola 2. Fenwick 3. Maine South 4. St. Ignatius
Marist

A:
Winnebago
Litchfield
Decatur (Lutheran)
Rockridge
Fairfield
Latin
Peoria Heights
Carterville

(Picking Class A will never be easy.)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

While I will avoid bold predictions, I will not put Homewood-Flossmoor out of the chance of topping Bradley-Bourbonnais. H-F has had some very tough matches this year against some elite opponents. BB has not had as many matches against that caliber of team. Hence, looking strictly at H-F's record would not necessarily impress you, but I think they can surprise.

I've been collecting the team record sheets this year, and while I lack all of them, I am really impressed with the Class AA teams in Central Illinois. While Bloomington is the clear front runner, Springfield, NorComWes, and Morton have earned definite props for hanging with the big horses all year.

In Class A I was amazed at Decatur Lutheran....41-3, with the three losses by less than 20 points, two of them to Bloomington and Morton. I was also impressed to see them score three rounds over 200 points in the octangulars (which many people complained about being "too tough". That's a team that can make noise downstate, especially should they not have to run into a Winnebago or Latin in the early rounds.

This should be a rare year where there will be more than two or three teams in Class A at state who can break 120 points every round.....even Class AA is in for a rare treat with the looks of at least six strong horses showing up.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I concur! Homewood-Flossmoor is good.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Does anyone know of any particular resource(s) that are very good for studying about the presidents, especially for Scholastic Bowl?
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I doubt you take AP US History as a freshman, but that's a good source for one (the back of my book lists their entire cabinets and such).

Also, is Auburn attending Masonic? I saw you were signed up for Culver's tournament, which is the same day as Masonic State.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Thanks, Trevkeeper. We're definitely going to Masonic. I don't even know what Culver's tourney is.
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Nick, Auburn is going to Masonic. I'm not sure why you think we're going to Culver.

Brebeuf Jesuit (Indianapolis)
Clay
Culver (4 Teams)
Harrison (4 Teams)
Lafayette (4 Teams)
Pioneer
Twin Lakes (2 Teams)

Are the teams entered according to that thread
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

SIVster716 wrote:Thanks, Trevkeeper. We're definitely going to Masonic. I don't even know what Culver's tourney is.
Culver Military Academy in Culver, Indiana hosts a tremendous NAQT tournament. Unfortunately, this year it is on the Saturday right before Regionals. We went last year, and the team had a blast.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Strange, I swear I saw Auburn's name on that list. Odd.

Anyways, good luck to everyone who is going to Masonic Regionals tomorrow.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

I see. Thank you, Mr. Egan. Now that you mention it, the name does sound a little familiar...
'Bago Power
Kimahri

Post by 'Bago Power »

Speaking of Masonics, I was just looking over the regional pairings and is it just me, or does Winnebago have some smoooooth sailing tomorrow? I'm a bit out of touch since my graduation, but the only name that jumped out was Sterling.

Good luck to all.
3/4 pi?...Correct

Is it a man?

Ms. Neimeier, that's a car! *crunch*
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

You'd be surprised. Galena's good, Sterling Newman's ranked second in our (IHSA) subsectional, and I'm going to ICTM Regionals instead of Masonics.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Results from the Stevenson regional:

1. Palatine Fremd
2. Winnetka New Trier
3. Wheaton North
4. Wilmette Loyola

Fremd played great. They just blew us completely out of the water. They are the defending state champs, after all.

The most exciting match we had was probably against Stevenson. We were down 20 going into the last question, and then we got the tossup and swept the bonus. It was an exciting, well played match.

Thanks to the Masons for the wonderful prizes.
Bubiyuqn
Lulu

Post by Bubiyuqn »

Interestingly enough in the Southern news, Carbondale lost to Salem in the Masonic regionals. Granted, we were down a few players to ICTM and Speech and what not, but I guess I'll go ahead and be the first person to complain about the ugly, ugly questions.

Did anyone else notice a lack of everything that wasn't social studies, or am I just being sour about losing or too new to Masonic?

Anyway, I suppose we had some bad Karma residual from our win at sectionals last year (which I still feel kinda bad about). It seems fitting for us to lose to an underdog. I'm just glad it happened in Masonic and not the IHSA State Series.

-J Stoncius
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

I actually noticed a huge, huge load of science questions. Not too much social studies....The upper level math was mostly calculating limits, and I didn't see that much lit.
Heilsmoochie
Lulu

Post by Heilsmoochie »

Results from the Bloomington Regional:

1. Peoria Heights
2. Bloomington
3. Limestone
4. Pekin
Consolation: Eureka

It was pretty smooth sailing for us except for the championship against Bloomington since Morton was without Wiley and several others, and Bloomington was playing sans Vik and Kristina. They were still tough, and Michael, Hunter, and the rest of their team stepped up. This is why its nice for the schools like ours that don't have math teams . . .
"I got a fever, and the only prescription . . . is more cowbell." - Christpher Walken
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Yes, the Masonic questions were once again...adjective-less. There's just no words for them. Though, the distribution is about as bad as the questions themselves.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

In the Dec Mac regional, Springfield won with Decatur Lutheran 2nd, with LSA putting up 790. From what I heard/read, the lit was "given a paragraph, name the novel", but the wording of the questions themselves were the some of the worst i've ever heard, i.e. the Newton tossup. Dale Thayer actually came to our regional, and I overheard him talking about how the questions came from the Great Auk. They were better than last year, but they still blew.

Justin about last year's sectionals, the bad karma dealing with that came from us, plus it's water under the bridge, and good luck when you venture up here next week.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

From Fenwick...with Love.

1. Hinsdale Central
2. Coal City
3-4. Fenwick and Homewood-Flossmoor

Virtually every team was short handed (Fenwick had only two starters). As far as questions, while I will refrain from saying too much, they were some of the toughest to read, and I found myself trying to correct them on the fly. There were several alternate answers that came up....all-in-all not my best day. Everyone seemed very tentative, and without offense, there were not many great performances on the day. While there was thankfully a lack of pop culture, there was a shortage of what I would consider "academia"....too much minutia, trivia, and obscuria.
GreyGhost06
Lulu

Post by GreyGhost06 »

From Bloomington Central Catholic Regional:

1st: Normal West
2nd: IVC
3rd: Prarie Central
4th: Blue Ridge
Consolation: Normal Community

Title match was very tight, with Normal West only leading by about 5 going into question 19, which they swept and made question 20 irrelevant. 3rd place match was tough as well, with PC barely edging Blue Ridge. IVC played without Mike Hahn and Jeff Nudd, but I believe the rest of the teams had everyone else there.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

This year, I decided on a bit of an experiment. As head of the All-State committee, I had sub-sectional hosts not only send me the nomination forms, but the team record sheets as well...I was inspired by an ongoing e-mail conversation with St. Pickerell from Virginia...there is a lot about scholastic bowl in Illinois that is unknown in terms of team habits and performance. From time to time as I can, I'll throw out some data showing what I've discovered. There were two subsectionals (one A, one AA) that sent me nothing, and this only takes into account records up to the seeding meeting. In some cases, there was obvious (dare I say blatant) falsification of records, but I suspect (hope) this was the minority.

*Important note: these records don't include any NAQT or non-IHSA records. New Trier and Loyola have substantially better records if these W-L are included. Also, I'll post several other lists over time....none of them is meant to definitively say "these are the best 10", or meant to represent a ranking of team greatness.

Top 10 wins: Class AA
1. Rockford (Auburn) 68-3
2. Bloomington (HS) 60-3
3. Wheaton (North) 59-7
4. Oak Park (Fenwick) 52-6
5. Springfield (HS) 43-10
6. Wilmette (Loyola) 41-12
7. Carbondale 38-5
8. Park Ridge (Maine South) 38-22
9. Morton 36-7
10. Winnetka (New Trier) 35-9

Top 10 wins: Class A