2016 nAC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Geriatric trauma » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:37 pm

Snoopy wrote:What happened with that Edgemont forfeit in the middle of playoffs?

I asked my dad, who teaches at Edgemont. He said that the team had to leave to go catch their flight back. They were apparently up 200 in the fourth quarter but were unable to finish the game.
Ryan Rosenberg
Taking classes at DePaul | North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
TD, 2018 NSC | Editor, 2017 ACF Fall | PACE
User avatar
Geriatric trauma
Auron
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby the return of AHAN » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Granny Soberer wrote:
Snoopy wrote:What happened with that Edgemont forfeit in the middle of playoffs?

I asked my dad, who teaches at Edgemont. He said that the team had to leave to go catch their flight back. They were apparently up 200 in the fourth quarter but were unable to finish the game.

Well, that's not :chip: 's fault. That's just poor planning by Edgemont. I mean, I assume :chip: provides the expected conclusion time of the championship finals.
Jeff Price, Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Deviant Insider » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 pm

How long does the 4th quarter take?
David Reinstein
PACE President, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT, IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
 
Posts: 4238
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Snoopy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Big Y wrote:How long does the 4th quarter take?


It doesn't take an absurdly long time; the game as a whole takes ~40-45 minutes, theoretically, which is far longer than most Quizbowl matches but still not horrible.
"THE" Joe
President Emeritus Smithtown High School West
Presently Unaffiliated

Veni, Canti, Vici
User avatar
Snoopy
Wakka
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Geriatric trauma » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 pm

the return of AHAN wrote:
Granny Soberer wrote:
Snoopy wrote:What happened with that Edgemont forfeit in the middle of playoffs?

I asked my dad, who teaches at Edgemont. He said that the team had to leave to go catch their flight back. They were apparently up 200 in the fourth quarter but were unable to finish the game.

Well, that's not :chip: 's fault. That's just poor planning by Edgemont. I mean, I assume :chip: provides the expected conclusion time of the championship finals.

They weren't expecting to do that well, they were mediocre at local competitions and had only qualified for nationals a couple of weeks before.
Ryan Rosenberg
Taking classes at DePaul | North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
TD, 2018 NSC | Editor, 2017 ACF Fall | PACE
User avatar
Geriatric trauma
Auron
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Father Comstock » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Snoopy wrote:
Big Y wrote:How long does the 4th quarter take?


It doesn't take an absurdly long time; the game as a whole takes ~40-45 minutes, theoretically, which is far longer than most Quizbowl matches but still not horrible.



I played 11 nationals rounds, and not one took more than 30 minutes.

Also regarding the wiki Mr. Dillon, since i do not know how to double quote, I definitely thought it was ridiculous that the questions were played. However one of the questions that was accidentally projected in the STE round was asking about the number of protons in chlorine if chlorine has an atomic number of 17... The second was a somewhat pyramidal credit mobilier question that i wouldn't have known until halfway through if the answer hadn't been projected. Either way, weird. Also some art pieces were displayed ahead of time in the powerpoint scrollbar on the left, so the question on identifying Klimt as the artist of The Kiss was a dead giveaway ahead of time if you had looked at the projector.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock. Oh whale.
Moderator, ILQBM.
Father Comstock
Lulu
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Snoopy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Father Comstock wrote:I played 11 nationals rounds, and not one took more than 30 minutes.

The question on identifying Klimt as the artist of The Kiss was a dead giveaway ahead of time if you had looked at the projector.


I've sat in those rooms for quite longer than that; in the one playoff round I was ever in, we were in there for a good 40 minutes. (EDIT: And that was a high-scoring game too. It's not like a lot of things went dead)

Now that, my friend, has to be one of the finest cases of Chip's stupidity I've ever heard. :lol:
"THE" Joe
President Emeritus Smithtown High School West
Presently Unaffiliated

Veni, Canti, Vici
User avatar
Snoopy
Wakka
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Father Comstock » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Snoopy wrote:
Father Comstock wrote:I played 11 nationals rounds, and not one took more than 30 minutes.

The question on identifying Klimt as the artist of The Kiss was a dead giveaway ahead of time if you had looked at the projector.


I've sat in those rooms for quite longer than that; in the one playoff round I was ever in, we were in there for a good 40 minutes. (EDIT: And that was a high-scoring game too. It's not like a lot of things went dead)

Now that, my friend, has to be one of the finest cases of Chip's stupidity I've ever heard. :lol:



Did you go to nationals this year? The past years it's been behind, but this year, everything was right on schedule or even early. Quite a shocker.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock. Oh whale.
Moderator, ILQBM.
Father Comstock
Lulu
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Father Comstock wrote:Also some art pieces were displayed ahead of time in the powerpoint scrollbar on the left, so the question on identifying Klimt as the artist of The Kiss was a dead giveaway ahead of time if you had looked at the projector.

They didn't even put the powerpoint in presentation mode?!
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
User avatar
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston, IL

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby dhumphreys17 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 am

Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant wrote:
Father Comstock wrote:Also some art pieces were displayed ahead of time in the powerpoint scrollbar on the left, so the question on identifying Klimt as the artist of The Kiss was a dead giveaway ahead of time if you had looked at the projector.

They didn't even put the powerpoint in presentation mode?!


PowerPoint being out of slideshow mode happens more often than I would hope for humanity's sake, speaking outside of quizbowl, as that is where the nAC is.
Devin James John Bartholomew Humphreys
Team Captain, Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017
Michigan State University, anticipated Class of 2020
User avatar
dhumphreys17
Wakka
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Snoopy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:17 am

Double post, FZ please :lol:
Last edited by Snoopy on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"THE" Joe
President Emeritus Smithtown High School West
Presently Unaffiliated

Veni, Canti, Vici
User avatar
Snoopy
Wakka
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Snoopy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 am

Father Comstock wrote:Did you go to nationals this year? The past years it's been behind, but this year, everything was right on schedule or even early. Quite a shocker.


Yes, I've been at DC phase for four miserable years. This year in particular my whole team was taking SATs so I went with a bunch of... (okay, I guess) players. We were destroyed. :grin:
"THE" Joe
President Emeritus Smithtown High School West
Presently Unaffiliated

Veni, Canti, Vici
User avatar
Snoopy
Wakka
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Valefor » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:42 am

I'd think more about what sort of logical cluster :capybara: could result in a situation in which a question packet could be accidentally displayed along with a Powerpoint presentation (like, were the questions also for some reason in the Powerpoint file?!), but I'd be worried that would lead to a real life reenactment of that scene from Scanners.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT writer and editor
User avatar
Valefor
Wakka
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Father Comstock » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:50 am

Vissi d'arte wrote:I'd think more about what sort of logical cluster :capybara: could result in a situation in which a question packet could be accidentally displayed along with a Powerpoint presentation (like, were the questions also for some reason in the Powerpoint file?!), but I'd be worried that would lead to a real life reenactment of that scene from Scanners.



Nope. The questions were in word. So powerpoint wasn't even open. Why it wasn't kept in presentation mode is beyond me.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock. Oh whale.
Moderator, ILQBM.
Father Comstock
Lulu
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby the return of AHAN » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:20 am

QUnlimited wrote:The first consideration in declaring a national champion is number of losses. Next Generation suffered one loss in the preliminary rounds to perennial contender Danville Bate (KY), winners of this year’s Giant Killer Award. The Illinois team finished first in total points by far – 411 to Wooster’s 354 -- but that one loss kept them from winning it all. Paideia and Wooster were undefeated, and Wooster ended up No. 1 in the nation, narrowly edging Paideia on statistics. Wooster won the $1,500 prize for their No. 1 finish; Paideia, $1,000 for No. 2; Next Generation, $500 for No. 3.


This highlights what is easily my biggest gripe with the nAC... Next Gen got punished for having more difficult opponents in a tournament that wasn't really seeded, never mind that they may very well have been playing the toughest field. The 'declaring a national champion' criteria, or any criteria that doesn't involve the teams playing each other, is no better than spinning a wheel.
Jeff Price, Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Ben Dillon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS
Indiana State Quiz Bowl Board

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
User avatar
Ben Dillon
Rikku
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: South Bend, IN

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby the return of AHAN » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Ben Dillon wrote:Well, this picture makes no sense:

http://www.qunlimited.com/imgnational/2016/Chicago/cod2016.jpg

Weirdly, I can see what he did; just follow the game numbers. The 'loser's bracket' was where the loser of game 1 went to go play Daviess County. Which bolsters my suspicion that in this format, you want to be the team sitting out 1st. The other two teams that play in the first round MUST play at least FOUR times to be crowned champion, if they lose a match, while it's possible, in Daviess County's position, to lose once and still win the championship by playing three matches.


EDITED: I can't count.
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price, Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Cody » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:56 pm

How does following the numbers help? Daviess County wins 2 but goes to the loser bracket? (they also won three matches not two)
Cody Voight – CBGS ‘09, VCU ‘14. I write lots of science and am an electrical engineer.
VCU Tournament Director ‘13-‘17. HSAPQ President ‘15-16.
Hero of Socialist Quizbowl Labor (NSC ‘14). “esteemed colleague” of Snap Wexley, ca. 2016. Stats Hero (Nats ‘16).
Quizbowl at VCU
User avatar
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Richmond

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby the return of AHAN » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:11 pm

You're right. I just went back and looked again and they did play three times. I still maintain that it's an advantage to sit the first round. Had Daviess lost to Harrison, Harrison would've been due to re-play Briarcliff in round 4, with one of them getting eliminated in that round, setting up a winner-take-all final in round 5, which would've been Daviess' 3rd match, but the 4th for either of the other two.

Also the way they used "Circle of Death" on that page...
Image
Jeff Price, Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Ben Dillon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Also, if you look at the rankings on the website (http://www.qunlimited.com/national/2016/VRanking.html), Briarcliff is listed as 9-1 although they lost twice to Daviess County.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS
Indiana State Quiz Bowl Board

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
User avatar
Ben Dillon
Rikku
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: South Bend, IN

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Ent » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 pm

I find it difficult to accept that a guy with 50 testimonials on his website would make a math mistake like this.
Thomas Egan
Ent
Lulu
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:43 am

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby dhumphreys17 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Ent wrote:I find it difficult to accept that a guy with 50 testimonials on his website would make a math mistake like this.


Especially when 20 or so of those testimonials are :capybara: ing duplicates...
Devin James John Bartholomew Humphreys
Team Captain, Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017
Michigan State University, anticipated Class of 2020
User avatar
dhumphreys17
Wakka
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Re: 2016 nAC

Postby Father Comstock » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:50 pm

didn't want to justify the 2017 NAC with a thread but my team will (unfortunately) be attending instead of HSNCT. However, we will be attending PACE NSC, god bless. For what it is worth, they currently don't have an editor ( :lol: ) as Jason Russell has left to work for NHBB (don't blame him). NAC questions will start to return to the horrible one liners they were before Jason at least attempted to make them pyramidal while Chip suffocated his attempts.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock. Oh whale.
Moderator, ILQBM.
Father Comstock
Lulu
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Previous

Return to High school area archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests