2016 NHBB Nats: Factual Errors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TylerV
Wakka

2016 NHBB Nats: Factual Errors

Post by TylerV »

Factual errors are the worst kind of mistake we can make as a writing team, as such I wish that any mistakes you noticed be brought up specifically in this thread so they are sure to be noticed. This is also the place to discuss incomplete answerlines.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Re: Factual Errors

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

In Round 5 of the US History Bee, the James Madison tossup mentions that "Paul Jennings purchased his freedom from this man". Daniel Webster was the one who bought Jennings' freedom (and Jennings worked for Webster to pay him off), so this clue doesn't really make any sense (I buzzed at this point and said Webster). I really really hope that this clue wasn't just copied from the 2012 Illinois Fall Tournament, which uses it as its first line.
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

Halved Xenon Stinging wrote:In Round 5 of the US History Bee, the James Madison tossup mentions that "Paul Jennings purchased his freedom from this man". Daniel Webster was the one who bought Jennings' freedom (and Jennings worked for Webster to pay him off), so this clue doesn't really make any sense (I buzzed at this point and said Webster). I really really hope that this clue wasn't just copied from the 2012 Illinois Fall Tournament, which uses it as its first line.
I apologize that this clue was misleading to the point of causing an "incorrect" buzz. Although I didn't write the question I will give the writer the benefit of the doubt and assume that this was worded in such a way to avoid pointing to Dolly Madison and ended up mistakenly pointing to Webster.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

I think the tossup on Queen Anne's War described it as a theatre of the 30 Years War, rather than the War of the Spanish Succession.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

I didn't encounter this error personally since it was in a lightning round that I didn't read, but other readers have told me that there was a part that referred to Genghis and Kublai sharing the "family name" "Khan", which is (to quote one of my friends) like saying Alfred the Great and Henry VIII shared the "family name" "King".

Also, the tossup on Aethelred II the Unready required the number II as part of an answer (i.e. you couldn't accept "Aethelred the Unready"). This seemed pretty harsh to me, since he is quite commonly referred to by simply his epithet.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
Nate714
Lulu

Post by Nate714 »

crash bandicoot wrote:I didn't encounter this error personally since it was in a lightning round that I didn't read, but other readers have told me that there was a part that referred to Genghis and Kublai sharing the "family name" "Khan", which is (to quote one of my friends) like saying Alfred the Great and Henry VIII shared the "family name" "King".

Also, the tossup on Aethelred II the Unready required the number II as part of an answer (i.e. you couldn't accept "Aethelred the Unready"). This seemed pretty harsh to me, since he is quite commonly referred to by simply his epithet.
When I said Aethelred The Unready the reader accepted it. Maybe this was a room by room thing where some readers accepted it and some didn't. Either way it is pretty harsh if someone wasn't prompted for just saying Aethelred The Unready.
Nathan Finn
St. Lawrence University '23
Leonia High School '19
gustavadolf
Lulu

Post by gustavadolf »

My teammate got negged for saying "Ethelred the Unready" (he couldn't pull the correct number). This seems pretty silly to me, since I've never heard him called anything but Ethelred the Unready.
Corin Wagen
Kealing '12
LASA '16
MIT '20
Nate714
Lulu

Post by Nate714 »

Also, on the question about the Labour Party (I believe round 6 of bee), I remember specifically it saying that "This party was in an alliance with David Steel's Liberals" I Immediately buzzed in (due to my sorta-prolific knowledge of British Politics) and said "Social Democratic Party", in which I was wrong. The lead in clue should've been changed to "Coalition" not "Alliance" because David Steel's Liberals entered in an alliance with the SDP (link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDP%E2%80 ... l_Alliance ). This could've confused many during the reading of the question.
Nathan Finn
Leonia High School '19
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Aethelred's underlining was definitely wrong; it, Queen Anne's War, and Paul Jennings' complicated freedom story slipped past me. (Aethelred's been underlined correctly in whichever of C, B, and A sets asked for him; I don't know how it got past me this time. Thanks to the moderators who weren't stymied by that!)

The Labour Party tossup from Bee Round 6 leads in with "This party entered a 1977 coalition with David Steel's party." and doesn't use 'alliance' at any point.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Nate714
Lulu

Post by Nate714 »

Irreligion in Bangladesh wrote:Aethelred's underlining was definitely wrong; it, Queen Anne's War, and Paul Jennings' complicated freedom story slipped past me. (Aethelred's been underlined correctly in whichever of C, B, and A sets asked for him; I don't know how it got past me this time. Thanks to the moderators who weren't stymied by that!)

The Labour Party tossup from Bee Round 6 leads in with "This party entered a 1977 coalition with David Steel's party." and doesn't use 'alliance' at any point.
Must've remembered wrong. Sorry about the confusion!
Nathan Finn
Leonia High School '19