GSAC XXIII mirror request thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Vainamoinen
Lulu

GSAC XXIII mirror request thread

Post by Vainamoinen »

I am pleased to announce that the twenty-third incarnation of Maggie Walker Governor's School's GSAC is now seeking mirrors across the country. The mirror fee will be $12 per team attending, and the set will be available from December 12, 2015 onward until the end of the season (this date may be flexible if you feel that you can only mirror it sometime before that). Please contact me at will AT willoverman DOT com if you are interested in hosting a mirror, or if you have any additional questions.

The set will be head-edited and mostly written by myself (Will Overman) with significant contributions from other members of the Maggie Walker team. I am making a number of significant changes to the set itself compared to previous incarnations. First and foremost, the set will now have POWERS for the first time ever. This is in accordance to the general trend of HS sets, and is one of the most important factors in distinguishing teams in my opinion. I am also tweaking the distribution to allow for more creativity in the set. I feel that sets at the high school regular difficulty level have become rather stagnant lately, so fresh answers and clues are one of my main goals for GSAC XXIII.

The distribution is as follows:

4/4 Literature
1/1 American, ~.8/.8 British, ~.8/.8 European, ~.7/.7 World, ~.7/.7 Other (e.g. common links and ancient).
4/4 Science
1/1 Physics, 1/1 Biology, ~.8/.8 chem, ~.6/.6 math, ~.6/.6 other science.
4/4 History
1/1 American, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 Ancient/Modern (post-1945)
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Visual Art, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other
2/2 Religion, Mythology
1/1 Philosophy and Social Science
1/1 Geography, Current Events, and Other Cultural
1/1 Pop culture and other fun stuff

The difficulty of the set will be near what it has been for the past two years, which have had +.2 and -.14 stat adjustments compared to IS-sets, i.e. very close to what is considered regular difficulty at the high school level.

CURRENT MIRRORS:
Richmond, Virginia: GSAC Main Site on December 12, 2015
Kansas City, Missouri: Fort Osage HS February 27, 2016
Powell, Ohio: Olentangy Liberty HS on January 9, 2016
Athens, Georgia : Cedar Shoals HS on April 2, 2016
St. Louis, Missouri: Oakville HS on February 27, 2016
New Jersey: St. Joe's on December 19, 2015
New England: Acton-Boxborough High School on April 30, 2016
Alabama: Good Hope High School on March 12, 2016
Georgia again Bainbridge HS on July 16
Texas: sometime in the spring
Last edited by Vainamoinen on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
crbirdx

Re: GSAC XXIII mirror request thread

Post by crbirdx »

Olentangy Liberty would like to mirror this on January 9th in Ohio.
oakvillehscoach
Lulu

Post by oakvillehscoach »

Oakville High School (St Louis MO) would like to mirror late February/early March.
Christina Whelehon
Oakville High School Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

We're still looking for mirror sites in a lot of areas, including but not limited to:
Northern California
Southern California
Illinois
Kentucky
Canada

Contact me: will AT willoverman DOT com

Additionally, if you think that you are hosting a mirror but haven't contacted me please do so immediately.
Last edited by Vainamoinen on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Will,

It appears that Columbia University will not be using your GSAC XXIII Set on January 23rd, 2016, but instead it will be using the BISB Set. So, perhaps St.Joe's can use the GSAC XXIII Set for its pre-Christmas tournament up here in the NY/NJ region.?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

Edward Powers wrote:Will,

It appears that Columbia University will not be using your GSAC XXIII Set on January 23rd, 2016, but instead it will be using the BISB Set. So, perhaps St.Joe's can use the GSAC XXIII Set for its pre-Christmas tournament up here in the NY/NJ region.?
Yes, St. Joe's can most certainly use the set. I've updated the mirror list accordingly and apologize for the confusion surrounding this situation.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

So is UPenn using this set as well? That's what I've been hearing but I don't see it here. I really hope that's not the case since so many teams overlap with both tournaments.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

Lo, Marathon Ham! wrote:So is UPenn using this set as well? That's what I've been hearing but I don't see it here. I really hope that's not the case since so many teams overlap with both tournaments.
Not that I've heard... I hereby confirm that St. Joe's has full and sole right to use this set in the region. Again, I apologize for all the confusion concerning mirroring of GSAC in the region, and will ensure that future generations of GSAC head editors will be aware of the relationship with St. Joe's.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
sarita
Lulu

Post by sarita »

Vainamoinen wrote:
Lo, Marathon Ham! wrote:So is UPenn using this set as well? That's what I've been hearing but I don't see it here. I really hope that's not the case since so many teams overlap with both tournaments.
Not that I've heard... I hereby confirm that St. Joe's has full and sole right to use this set in the region. Again, I apologize for all the confusion concerning mirroring of GSAC in the region, and will ensure that future generations of GSAC head editors will be aware of the relationship with St. Joe's.
Sorry for just seeing this now. When we planned out our spring tournaments at Penn, we were planning to mirror this for more local Pennsylvania teams rather than the North Jersey overlapping teams. To clear up the confusion, we'll be hosting QuAC in February with another set instead and not GSAC.
Sarita Jamil
Penn '17
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We'd like to mirror the newest GSAC on 1/7/2017.