Side events at the 2015 HSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Side events at the 2015 HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area »

There seem to be more side events than usual this year, so I thought I'd start a scheduling thread.

The following have had formal announcements:

Feynmann's BONGOS, an all-science event

Ryan Leaf Memorial, a tournament about the NFL

ACFNATIONALS, "a tournament exclusively on JRPGs"

Geography Monstrosity 7, a tournament that contains very difficult geography questions
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: Side events at the 2015 HSNCT

As a reminder to prospective hosts, here are NAQT's policies about HSNCT side events. Note that these differ from PACE's policies about NSC side events in several important ways.
1) Side events are welcome to use any game room that is open after the conclusion of play Friday or Saturday evening. (Note that this probably means use of the conference center rooms; some of the game rooms are hotel suites that require keycard access, and those will be locked and unavailable.)

2) If hotel staff ask the side event to move (example: for cleaning, maintenance, or reconfiguration of room setup), please do so immediately and without complaint.

3) Buzzers in HSNCT rooms remain set up from Friday evening until they are returned mid-day Sunday. If a buzzer breaks during a side event, the side event's director is responsible for the cost of repair or replacement (and must let NAQT know prior to the start of play the next morning so we can get a functional buzzer into the room).

4) Side events are welcome to use staff hotel rooms, with one condition: all of the staffers occupying the room must consent to the use of the room for a side event. (That is, if Staffer A says "sure, let's play five rounds of side event in our room" and their roommate Staffer B says "sorry, I really need to get some sleep before the playoffs Sunday", planners of the side event should respect Staffer B's wishes.)

5) Finally, please exercise common sense about behavior at side events: leave the rooms the way you found them and don't disturb other guests at the hotel.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Ryan Leaf memorial shouldn't take much more than an hour to run, so I can run it at pretty much any time. I'm thinking Friday night to avoid conflict with ACF although running it right before on saturday is fine with me.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

Kilroy Was Here wrote:Ryan Leaf memorial shouldn't take much more than an hour to run, so I can run it at pretty much any time. I'm thinking Friday night to avoid conflict with ACF although running it right before on saturday is fine with me.
I'd prefer early Saturday before ACFNATIONALS, although if staffer/buzzer/player conflicts with BONGOS become an issue, Friday would work too.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:Feynmann's BONGOS, an all-science event
I'll vote for running the HSNCT edition of BONGOS on Saturday evening before ACFNATIONALS, if possible. Or maybe at the same time? I don't know if there's overlap in the fields, or issues getting enough staff. I do know that I'm old and like sleeping.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

In my vain desires, I would like to play Leaf on Friday night and have BONGOS run on Saturday before ACFNATIONALS since I'm going to be coming down from NU Saturday to play ACFNATIONALS after a concert.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Ike and I are currently at the fake acf nationals and will respond to this after this weekend. Be aware though that acfnationals, the real one, has one audio packet which we were planning on running some time on friday for seeding purposes
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Ryan Leaf will be run on Friday night to minimize conflict with the larger side events that are crowding the saturday schedule.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Has an official schedule been decided for which side events are going when? I'd like to staff some and play others, so it would be nice to know if my plans are possible.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

setht wrote:
bird bird bird bird bird wrote:Feynmann's BONGOS, an all-science event
I'll vote for running the HSNCT edition of BONGOS on Saturday evening before ACFNATIONALS, if possible. Or maybe at the same time? I don't know if there's overlap in the fields, or issues getting enough staff. I do know that I'm old and like sleeping.
It would also definitely be my preference to run BONGOS as early as we realistically can on Saturday night.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
Important Bird Area

The Geography Monstrosity announcement has been posted.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

I don't know if this qualifies as a side event, but Fr. Augustine and Fr. Gregory from Cistercian have again agreed to offer Mass for the quiz bowl community at the HSNCT.

Mass should start about 15 minutes after the last round ends on Saturday.

E-mail me ([email protected]) or call/text me (928-245-0244) for more information. (I may be moderating rounds, so please don't call me while the tournament is underway.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams