West Point (AL) Spring Tournament - May 9, 2015

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

West Point (AL) Spring Tournament - May 9, 2015

Post by quizbowllee »

Coaches/Sponsors:

We will officially be hosting our Spring Invitational this year on Saturday, May 9 at West Point High School. I know this is later in the year than most tournaments, but it will be an excellent opportunity for your Senior students to bid farewell, for your young students to get a head start on next year, or for the Nationals-bound teams to get some late-year practice before traveling to represent our State!

The tournament will use NAQT Questions (I'm not sure exactly which set yet, but it will be one that has not been used in Alabama).

The tournament is open to any student in grades 12 or below.

You may bring as many teams as you want, and we will have awards for the top Varsity Team, the Top Small School (as per NAQT), the top JV (10th graders and under) team, and the top Private/Magnet School (all of this is subject to change depending on the number of each type of team registered).

Entry fees are as follows:

$70 - first team
$65 - each additional team from the same school

There will also be a $5.00 discount per WORKING buzzer system bought PER team.

If you plan to attend, PLEASE e-mail me ASAP at [email protected] so that I may begin to get an idea of the field size. More information will be forthcoming as the date draws near.

Thanks, and I hope to see you at West Point on May 9!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
mriggle
Lulu

Re: West Point (AL) Spring Tournament - May 9, 2015

Post by mriggle »

Tentatively, I should be able to come down to read at this. I'll let you know if any conflicts come up to change that.
Matthew Riggle
Pope John Paul II Catholic High School (Huntsville, Alabama): 2008-2012
Western Kentucky University: 2012-present
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Field Update (5/6/15):

Arab - 2 teams
Cullman - 2 teams
Mountain Brook - 2 teams
Russellville - 2 teams
Sylacauga - 2 teams
Cordova - 2 teams
Springwood - 1 team
Hoover - 2 teams
CCA - 2 teams
Good Hope - 1 team
Muscle Shoals - 1 team
West Point - 3 teams

Expressed Interest:
Northridge
Last edited by quizbowllee on Wed May 06, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
monstroussnapple
Kimahri

Post by monstroussnapple »

Hello everyone! I'm Danny Johns (http://www.naqt.com/stats/player.jsp?contact_id=135832 for reference), a player for Hoover. On a whim that turned into more than a whim, I began writing questions for what is now called the "99 Problems Rap Tournament," essentially a rap-only side tournament. As of now, I have 56 of the 100 goal questions written, but that's more than enough for two rounds. My end goal is running this at HSNCT this year. I have another 28 question topics to write about, but that won't be an issue. If anyone has any experience - or really knows anyone with experience - running a side tournament, I'd love any help or feedback you could offer.

During lunch at the West Point tournament, I'll be running two rounds of 25 questions. The first round will use 8/4 scoring; the top eight or ten scorers will advance to the finals. The rest of the participants are welcome to watch or play the second round on a different set of buzzers. Cost will be $5.00 per entrant - West Point students enter free given Coach Henry's generosity in allowing me to run this.

If you all could gauge interest for this, that would be fantastic! Thanks again to Coach Henry for letting me do this.
Danny Johns
Hoover
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I've been updating the field over the past few days. If you plan to attend, please let me know ASAP. I want to be able to get definite numbers soon.

Thanks!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Also, we will be using the SCT-Div II set from NAQT. So, the questions will be slightly more difficult than IS-series and should serve as a good practice for HSNCT for those of us attending.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
kdoss61
Lulu

Post by kdoss61 »

I don't know if the side tournament is still happening, but our team has two players interested in playing, if it is.
Krystian Doss
Good Hope High School (2011-2015), Club President (2013-2015)
Wallace State Community College (2015)
University of South Alabama (2015-2019)

Member of the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Men