BISB 2014 Looking for Mirrors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
adamsil
Wakka

BISB 2014 Looking for Mirrors

Post by adamsil »

Hello,

The 2014 Brookwood Invitational Scholars’ Bowl is looking for mirrors for the 2014-2015 school year. This year’s set will be written and edited by a combination of Brady Weiler and members of the Georgia Tech Academic Team. We are charging $10 per team that attends your tournament in return for the questions.

We will be producing 14 packets. Each packet will consist of 21 tossups and 20 bonuses (1/0 for tiebreakers, which will be either literature, science, or history; we may add a TB bonus if it's feasible). Here is our planned distribution:
4/4 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World Lit, Miscellaneous Common Links, or simply more from the other 3)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other Science. Roughly half of the other science will be noncomputational mathematics, and the rest is split between astronomy, earth science, "science history", technology, and computer science)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 1/1 World, 1/1 European, 1/1 More of the other three; Ancient History would go here)
3/3 Arts (1/1 Painting, 1/1 Compositional Music, 1/1 Other Arts)
2/2 RMP (1/1 Mythology, 0.5/0.5 Religion, 0.5/0.5 Philosophy)
1/1 Current Events, Politics, and Policy
1/1 Social Sciences and Miscellaneous Academic (SS is skewed toward psychology, economics, and political science; Misc. Academic will likely be less than 0.5/0.5 and is mostly common links or material that doesn’t fit anywhere else)
0.5/0.5 Geography (focus on culturally-relevant clues)
0.5/0.5 Trash (popular culture and sports)

This is identical to the distribution last year, except 0.5/0.5 was removed from geography and will be used for pop culture and sports.

Tossups will be 5-6 lines in 10 point TNR font. Bonus parts will be 1-2 lines. Unlike last year, the set will be powermarked, though we're happy to provide it un-power-marked if you'd prefer that.

Last year’s set got a “Satisfactory” rating by PACE and was praised by most. It’s now on the packet archive. We’ll be striving toward a very similar set this year, focusing on material that HSers are likely to have learned outside of old packet studying. We’re going to ease up the difficulty on the most outrageous hard parts from the set last year, but the average PPB was pretty close to IS sets and HSAPQ sets in the correction to Fred’s rankings, so expect something similar. Last year’s set also had a very high tossup conversion rate, especially relative to other housewrites, and we intend to keep it that way this year, too.

Also, there’s going to be even more bad jokes in bonus leadins, as I’m given to understand that was the best part of BISB 2013.

The set is on track to be done early in the school year; my goal is August 18, and I’m good at meeting deadlines. Well more than half of the set is written at this point. We should be ready for mirrors by late September, though that's negotiable if you're looking for an earlier date.

If you’re interested in mirroring the set, shoot me an email at adsilverman at bellsouth dot net with the date and location.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
adamsil
Wakka

Re: BISB 2014 Looking for Mirrors

Post by adamsil »

List of mirrors:

UIUC Earlybird, October 4
UCLA Twain, November 15
University of Kentucky Fall Championship, November 22
Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl, November 22
Cave Spring Invitational, November 22
Columbia University, December 6
Winnebago HS, January 17
Hallsville Tournament, February 7
California Cup, February 21
Last edited by adamsil on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We are looking for a mirror set for fall or spring 2015-2016 let me know if it comes available.
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

As far as I'm aware, the last mirror of this set happened yesterday. I'll give it another week in case there are any interested parties looking for a set, but after that I'll get it posted to the database.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
Pancreatic Stork
Lulu

Post by Pancreatic Stork »

Will this set be posted on the database or are there still more mirrors?
Patrick Canteros,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School '16
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Slipped my mind. Sent it tonight.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21