Literature Specific Tournaments?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Jennifer Osborne
Lulu

Literature Specific Tournaments?

Post by Jennifer Osborne »

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum, but I've been browsing various sites and have found specific tournaments for each of the big subjects except for literature (History bowl and bee, Science bowl and olympiad). Apart from the literature subsection of the Chicago Open that is now discontinued, there doesn't appear to be any. Am I missing something?
Jennifer Osborne
Singapore American School '16
Brown University '20
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Literature Specific Tournaments?

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the forums!

Chicago Open literature is in fact an ongoing concern.

I'm not aware of any literature-specific tournaments for a high school audience.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

(To parrot Jeff: welcome to the forums! Int'l players are really cool, and I hope you find a good intro to quizbowl in the forums.)

I mean...science bowl and olympiad makes sense given the presence of all the competitive "real" olympiads, and history bowl is a project started by Dave Madden. I suppose is someone ever got enough money they could start a vanity lit bowl, but lit is just a lot more insular in nature than history (and, I admit, boring in a lot of respects), and I don't see that ever happening.

In the meantime, I think "reading" and "writing" are events have been gaining popularity ground in the competitive circuit the past few millenia or so.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

There may not be an ongoing literature-focused version of quizbowl, but various people have, from time to time, written sets of literature-only questions to be played as side events, like you see at Chicago Open. (They're not all written at CO-difficulty, either.)

The Naguib Mahfouz Memorial Lit Singles tournament is one of those that happened in 2009 and whose questions are available on quizbowlpackets.com; someone else with a packet archive probably has more sets than just this.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

The Chipola Lit/Fine Arts Singles tournament at http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/ is near high school difficulty.

(There are also a large number of other literature tournament sets at that site, though all of them are intended for college players. There isn't a national level tournament equivalent to Science Olympiad or National History Bee & Bowl, though)
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

This is a fantastic high school level literature set. http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/139/
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:This is a fantastic high school level literature set. http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/139/
This tournament is much harder than any reasonable high school set, except maybe some of the harder questions at HSNCT and PACE.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Jennifer Osborne
Lulu

Post by Jennifer Osborne »

Thanks so much for all the replies, and for the set suggestions. I guess a lit specific tournament was a bit of a stretch, since it is the weakest link for many teams.
Jennifer Osborne
Singapore American School '16
Brown University '20