NJ 2014 NAQT State Championship - May 17

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

NJ 2014 NAQT State Championship - May 17

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall Preparatory School in West Orange, NJ is proud to host the 2014 NJ NAQT State Championship Tournament on Saturday, May 17. The initial field cap will be set at 36 teams with a limit of two teams per school. (Additional teams from each school will be placed on a wait list and added to the field should openings exist.)

LOCATION: Seton Hall Prep is conveniently located just off Route 280 in West Orange, easily accessed from both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. (120 Northfield Avenue, West Orange, NJ 07052)

SET: IS 136 - At the Conclusion of the tournament, each team will be given a complete/clean set of questions.

Eligibility: Please visit naqt.com for eligibility questions. For this tournament, we are limiting entrance to schools from NJ.
http://naqt.com/hs/high-school-eligibility.html

Fees: $80 for the first team - $75 for each additional team
Discounts: $15 per experienced moderator - $10 per functional buzzer - minimum fee of $45 per team

Timing: Registration will take place between 7:30-8:00 AM. Round 1 will begin promptly at 8:30 AM. The tournament should conclude by 5 or 6 PM at the latest.

Food: A complimentary breakfast of donuts, juice, and coffee will be provided. Orders for pizzas will be taken both in advance and on the morning of the tournament. Numerous local eateries and dining establishments are within a five-minute drive of the school.

Format: Preliminary rounds will be bracketed round-robins, with bracketed round-robin playoffs after lunch. Final cross-over games will be played to determine final placement. (Final format to be determined by the total number of teams entered.) Due to the late date of this event, no berths to the 2014 HSNCT will be awarded.

Registration: Please e-mail Michael T. Zinsmeister at [email protected]. Registration will NOT be considered "formal" if merely posted on this site.

Payment: Please make checks payable to "Seton Hall Prep" and send to the address listed above. (Please mark to the attention of Michael T. Zinsmeister) Payments may be made in advance OR brought on the day of the tournament. Should any school need an invoice in advance, please contact me directly.

This page will be checked daily and updated periodically with field information.

For any additional information, please contact me at the aforementioned e-mail address.

We look forward to seeing you all here at The Prep on May 17!
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Re: NJ 2014 NAQT State Championship - May 17

Post by SHP Pirate »

Registered Field: (As of 4/15/2014) Totals: (35/19/7)

High Tech (2/2/0)
Livingston (2/2/1)
Mountain Lakes (2/2/1)
Pingry (2/0/0)
St. Josephs (2/2/1)
MAST (2/0/1)
Millburn (2/2/1)
Pennsville Memorial (2/0/0)
Phillipsburg (2/1/1)
Ridgewood (2/2/0)
Middletown North (1/0/0)
BCA (2/1/1)
East Brunswick (2/1/?)
Columbia (1/?/?)
WWPN (2/0/0)
Middlesex Academy (2/?/?)
Bergen Tech (2/?/?)
Colonia (1/2/?)
St. Peter's Prep (2/2/0)

Wait List:

1. High Tech (x1)
2. Mountain Lakes (x1)
3. MAST (x1)
4. BCA (x1)

Interested:

1. St. Josephs C
2. Chatham
3. JP Stevens
Last edited by SHP Pirate on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Mike,

Please place a St. Joe's "C" team as "Interested"---I have had a recent influx of 9th & 10th graders and they are currently ambivalent---they want to come, but, naturally, they would like some more training before fully committing. So, it is too soon to place them on your waiting list---hence the "Interested" list for now.

Thanks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

We are still over ten weeks from the tournament and, as of this morning, including the wait list, we have filled 27 of the 36 spots. (The field cap is FIRM at 36.) If any other teams are still interested in registering, please contact me at your earliest convenience as I expect the remaining spots to fill quickly. If spots remain open by April 19, I will open those spots to wait-listed teams. If any team needs an invoice in order to process payment, please contact me directly.

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
HSNQuizBowl
Kimahri

Post by HSNQuizBowl »

Mike,

WWP North has emailed you about their situation; we are a student-run club and confirm that we will attend the competition. Can we be classified as "registered" or is their anything else you need? Thank you.
Sagar - President of WWP North Quiz Bowl team
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

With 6 weeks to go, we have 30 confirmed teams and a wait/interested list of 5. I will keep the registration open for new teams until Friday, April 11. Beginning Saturday, April 12, wait-listed teams will be entered into the field. If you would like to join us for the 2014 NJ State Championship Tournament, register soon!

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

The field is now full. (I am awaiting confirmation from Chatham later this week. If Chatham is unavailable, the spot will be offered to JP Stevens pending further contact from their team. Should JP Stevens be unavailable, I will go to the wait list.) Additional teams will still be accepted on the wait list as I am sure that we will lose a few teams between now and May 17.

A detailed e-mail to all registered teams will be sent later this week or early next week.

Cheers.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

BRIEF RESULTS ...

Top 12 teams from prelim play (top two from each of six brackets) advanced into championship brackets. Remaining teams played five additional consolation rounds.

The McQuaid bracket broke cleanly ... the Seton Bracket posted a circle-of death for 2nd/3rd/4th places between Livingston A, BCA A, and Pingry A. Half-packets were played to break the tie, resulting in BCA taking second place in the bracket, Livingston A taking third, and Pingry A placing fourth.

In the 11th/12th place game: Mt. Lakes A d. MAST A (445-170)
In the 9th/10th place game: Millburn A d. Livingston B (325-255)
In the 7th/8th place game: East Brunswick A d. Pingry A (455-160)
In the 5th/6th place game: High Tech B d. Livingston A (485-195)

The top teams from each bracket crossed-over for a semifinal ...

St. Josephs A d. BCA A (525-135) and advanced to the championship game.
High Tech A d. Ridgewood A (510-195) and advanced to the championship game.

In the 3rd/4th place game: Ridgewood A d. BCA A (375-155)
In the championship game ... High Tech A d. St. Josephs A (525-210)

All said, I feel that the tournament was a great success. Thank you to my readers (Marisol - Kellenberg alumna, Kevin and Scott - SHP alumni, Kara and Matt - Ridgewood alumni, PJ and Liang from Mountain Lakes, David Madden, Marianna and Albert from Hunter, all of my students, and the numerous coaches who read, kept score, and helped in a myriad of ways. I am sure that I am forgetting someone, but I am trying to get home!)

We finished 12 rounds by 5:30 ... with a 45 minute delay for the aforementioned circle of death. I will GLADLY take that any day.

More to come later ... (breakfast/lunch/entry fees/schedule/format/etc.)

If you have any suggestions, comments, critiques, idea - please feel free to post here or pm me.

Partial stats may be found here. http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2244/

Final stats (including final playoff games) will be posted on Monday morning.

Cheers!

- Michael
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks to Coach Z, his SHP staff and the array of readers from around our region who graciously volunteered to help. To complete 12 rounds by 5:30, even with a circle of death included, was tremendous. And congratulations to High Tech A for its phenomenal performance throughout the day and, of course, the entire season. You are truly a deserving State Champion. Finally, best of luck to all local teams going to Nationals over the next two weeks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

The performances at the top of this tournament were phenomenal across the board. High Tech powered more than half the tossups in their playoff bracket. St. Joseph bounced back from a tough morning loss to sweep their afternoon group. Ben from Ridgewood had 53 tossups and one neg. And my guys pulled off some upsets to outperform my expectations.
And, as Ed noted above, Mike Zinsmeister and the SHP crew pulled off a very well-organized event. We basically played 13 rounds if you count the two half-games, and the eight post-lunch rounds took just over 4 hours.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Insolvency law of Canada
Lulu

Post by Insolvency law of Canada »

Just wanted to pop in here to say that this was the most well run regular season tournament I've ever attended. Seriously, 12 rounds, a circle of death, and a substantial lunch break were done by 5:30, which was a very good job.
Patrick LeBlanc
High Technology High School '10-'14
Captain '13-'14
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

SHP Pirate wrote:Final stats (including final playoff games) will be posted on Monday morning.
How are we doing with this?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Combined Stats now posted.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

Again, thank you to everyone for competing. Good luck to those of you attending nationals this year!

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ