NAQT or PACE?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Where is your team going for ntaionals?

NAQT
32%
Neither
6%
PACE
10%
Both
36%
Not Sure
16%

Total votes: 50

mentalchocolate
Wakka

NAQT or PACE?

Post by mentalchocolate »

I was trying to get an idea of which teams are going to NAQT Nationals and which ones are going to PACE. Does anyone know where teams are going?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

While my team probably likes the PACE format better and we already have a bid, I think we're going to NAQT because PACE just so happens to be the same dates as the Bonnaroo music festival. Bonnaroo IS my senior trip.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Both, because their locations are really good this year and we like both formats. Plus, we've been going to both for the last couple years.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

New Trier is going to NAQT. We like PACE, but NAQT is a more convenient time and place for us this year.
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Tippecanoe won't be at either one. PACE is too far away, although we had a good time last year in Maryland. My team prefers the NAQT style and format, and Chicago is close, but all of my Seniors are graduating that same weekend. And at least one will be valedictorian, and has to give the keynote speech.

We're looking at ASCN this year.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

TJ will be at both.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain High will be at both. We've already qualified for PACE and anticpate that we will for NAQT, considering its our best format...

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

98% chance Brookwood (GA) will be at NAQT in Chicago. 60% chance Brookwood will be at PACE in Orlando.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Maine South is the closest high school to the NAQT finals this year...we could walk to the hotel. Unfortunately, it is the weekend of prom and graduation, and I just can't see spending that kind of cash for a team to come stumbling in on 2 hours sleep in tuxeedoes and long gowns (if that) and taking on the best of the best.

We sat down for a week trying to figure out something that would work...its sad. We were looking forward to it.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Last year TJ had graduation the Saturday night of PACE last year, so we did our preliminary matches, sprinted back to Virginia so the three seniors on TJ A and B could graduate, went to the all-night grad party, then drove back to Maryland for the PACE finals. I actually ended up dozing off in two of the playoffs round robin matches and while I was watching the final match.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I glad to see that many of you are planning on coming to the PACE NSC, and I understand the reasons why some of you have said attending would be difficult. For what it's worth, I just wanted to remind everyone that Orlando, being a major airline hub, often has very reasonable flight deals available from many different carriers (Chicago and Cincinnati in particular are cheap routes). Also, I'm going to ensure that the tournament will run like clockwork, with no long waits and nothing but top-notch readers. Much of the staff is going to be current or former players of mine who've all played in and/or moderated at lots of competitions, including ICTs, and every reader will have a scorekeeper. Plus, the hotel we've selected is literally across the street from Universal Studios Orlando.

Okay, enough boosterism. I look forward to seeing many of you there, and am happy to answer any questions you might have.
--chris borglum
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Last year TJ had graduation the Saturday night of PACE last year, so we did our preliminary matches, sprinted back to Virginia so the three seniors on TJ A and B could graduate, went to the all-night grad party, then drove back to Maryland for the PACE finals. I actually ended up dozing off in two of the playoffs round robin matches and while I was watching the final match.
This year, NAQT is directly after TJ's prom. We plan on flying out of DC at 6 AM, making the most of the time zone change and arriving at 7, and playing the prelims while there in body, but maybe not spirit.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

LAMP's probably going to ASCN and HSNCT. Basically, we'll be in Chicago for 11 days. Exciting.
DCCHelmet
Lulu

Post by DCCHelmet »

CC Will be attending both this year. I think I speak for my whole team when I say we're looking forward to seeing (and hopefully beating) the high level of competition we always see at nationals.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood is going to PACE and NAQT. We have gone to BOTH tournaments only once before, 2000 I think.

We have been at every NAQT Nationals since 1999 EXCEPT 2003. We attended the first PACE Nationals in 1998 and returned in 2000.